Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can any software experts explain why accounts don't work?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 11:55:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On XP home - even accounts that are created as administrator don't function the way I'd expect. Granted, I don't know how it is intended to work, but it just does not seem logical. If any MVP can point me to some reading as to why account mgmt is so difficult, I'd appreciate it. XP home user accounts just seem useless.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 1:21:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Well to begin with if you have XP Home then there are many many tools missing that give you more control over user accounts. XP Pro has these tools. Accounts managing and setup in Home is a very tedious and troublesome prospect. Heck even gaining control of folers in Home requires special knowledge of how to do so through the "safe" options. Home Edition is very limited in some areas. You don't even have the option of using ASR(Automated System Recovery) like you do in Pro. Perhaps purchasing a copy of Pro would help you. }:~)
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 1:45:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Ok. You all helped a lot. The links to Doug's site and post from Unknown P pretty much answered my post. I thought pieces were missing, and I can deal with that. I did try (carefully) to use safe mode, and looking at the registry, but was unable to determine what to change so I stopped. I am planning to upgrade to Pro, I wish I would have specified that originally. It is good to know I am not going crazy and am not too stupid.

B

"The Unknown P" wrote:

> Well to begin with if you have XP Home then there are many many tools missing that give you more control over user accounts. XP Pro has these tools. Accounts managing and setup in Home is a very tedious and troublesome prospect. Heck even gaining control of folers in Home requires special knowledge of how to do so through the "safe" options. Home Edition is very limited in some areas. You don't even have the option of using ASR(Automated System Recovery) like you do in Pro. Perhaps purchasing a copy of Pro would help you. }:~)
> --
> There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 2:49:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

New to XP wrote:
> On XP home - even accounts that are created as administrator don't
> function the way I'd expect. Granted, I don't know how it is
> intended to work, but it just does not seem logical. If any MVP can
> point me to some reading as to why account mgmt is so difficult, I'd
> appreciate it. XP home user accounts just seem useless.

You really need to be more specific. Account Management is easy - yes, it
takes research and some work, but once you understand what's going on
(meaning you take the time to do that) - it makes your life easy.

HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

Doug's Windows XP Security Console
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 2:49:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks to both of you for replying to my post. The thing that confuses me is that I have a password protected administrator account that was set up first thing. When I created a limited account, and signed on, I could not even run programs like MS Streets and of course Doom 95, unless I 'ran as' and used the original administrator account. I also could not save documents in MS Word. And finally, the IE security settings (Privacy as well) could not be changed. I would apply changes but if I opened up the settings again, they were back to usual. I also could not keep my display settings.

I thought that any administrator accounts I created would be exactly like the first account, where I could set anything I wanted to do. Is that account (the first one, requested when I booted up XP Home the first time) some type of machine account? Could you recommend a good book or links where I can learn more?

Can I go in on the original account and give more 'privileges' to the other accounts? I was also thinking any time I changed a limited account back to an admin acct., that I would have all the privileges to programs of that very first admin account established on the first boot. I'm real frustrated.

Again, thanks for replying to my post!

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> New to XP wrote:
> > On XP home - even accounts that are created as administrator don't
> > function the way I'd expect. Granted, I don't know how it is
> > intended to work, but it just does not seem logical. If any MVP can
> > point me to some reading as to why account mgmt is so difficult, I'd
> > appreciate it. XP home user accounts just seem useless.
>
> You really need to be more specific. Account Management is easy - yes, it
> takes research and some work, but once you understand what's going on
> (meaning you take the time to do that) - it makes your life easy.
>
> HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp
>
> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
> Folders in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp
>
> Doug's Windows XP Security Console
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --
> The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
> completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
> kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
> advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 3:09:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

What exactly are you expecting or does not weem logical? User accounts are
designed to have mutliple users (and their preferences) on one computer.

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI


"New to XP" <NewtoXP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C8EEFE38-BEB3-4B70-93F0-35413C9A20E1@microsoft.com...
> On XP home - even accounts that are created as administrator don't
function the way I'd expect. Granted, I don't know how it is intended to
work, but it just does not seem logical. If any MVP can point me to some
reading as to why account mgmt is so difficult, I'd appreciate it. XP home
user accounts just seem useless.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 11:09:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

>-----Original Message-----
>Well to begin with if you have XP Home then there are
many many tools missing that give you more control over
user accounts. XP Pro has these tools. Accounts managing
and setup in Home is a very tedious and troublesome
prospect. Heck even gaining control of folers in Home
requires special knowledge of how to do so through
the "safe" options. Home Edition is very limited in some
areas. You don't even have the option of using ASR
(Automated System Recovery) like you do in Pro. Perhaps
purchasing a copy of Pro would help you. }:~)
>--
>There are three types of people in computing, those that
can count and those that can't.


Congratulations--this is a strong contender for Stupid
Post of the Week. You are recommending an upgrade to Pro
without having any idea what the OP's issues are. If the
OP is struggling with Home, his problems with Pro will be
exponentially greater and he probably won't gain anything
in the process.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 12:05:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Actually, this wasn't a stupid post. It was helpful. There was no mention
in my post about struggling with XP Home. I just said the account management
did not work as I expected, I was not used to the limitations of XP Home, and
was looking for more advanced functionality.

Get some tact.

"Wislu Plethora" wrote:

>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >Well to begin with if you have XP Home then there are
> many many tools missing that give you more control over
> user accounts. XP Pro has these tools. Accounts managing
> and setup in Home is a very tedious and troublesome
> prospect. Heck even gaining control of folers in Home
> requires special knowledge of how to do so through
> the "safe" options. Home Edition is very limited in some
> areas. You don't even have the option of using ASR
> (Automated System Recovery) like you do in Pro. Perhaps
> purchasing a copy of Pro would help you. }:~)
> >--
> >There are three types of people in computing, those that
> can count and those that can't.
>
>
> Congratulations--this is a strong contender for Stupid
> Post of the Week. You are recommending an upgrade to Pro
> without having any idea what the OP's issues are. If the
> OP is struggling with Home, his problems with Pro will be
> exponentially greater and he probably won't gain anything
> in the process.
>
>
>
!