Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

E-mail using Mobile Web

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 6:09:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I'll ask to be
sure.

Is there no way to send and/or receive E-mail from a Verizon phone
using the built-in Mobile Web client? The menu option linking the
client to Hotmail seems to be disabled and there's no mention of it
anywhere on the vzw.msn.com web site.

I can get a connection to yahoomail.com from the phone client but
messages I try to send and receive don't actually succeed in getting
through.

All I can speculate is that Verizon wants to force usage of their
silly instant message stuff by not allowing E-mail. But maybe I've
missed something, instead.

Brent Hutto

More about : mail mobile web

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 6:09:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Brent Hutto" <brenthutto@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:hsp4a01vn6gushvt3gfcsli75tig0eba33@4ax.com
> I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I'll ask to be
> sure.
>
> Is there no way to send and/or receive E-mail from a Verizon phone
> using the built-in Mobile Web client? The menu option linking the
> client to Hotmail seems to be disabled and there's no mention of it
> anywhere on the vzw.msn.com web site.
>
> I can get a connection to yahoomail.com from the phone client but
> messages I try to send and receive don't actually succeed in getting
> through.
>
> All I can speculate is that Verizon wants to force usage of their
> silly instant message stuff by not allowing E-mail. But maybe I've
> missed something, instead.
>
> Brent Hutto

Not sure what you mean, it works fine for me (except for me having fat
fingers and actually trying to type using those silly keys to make
letters!). Either I'm lucky, or you have a setting that needs to be changed.
I use my Kyocera 2235, mobile web, and NA to both send and receive email,
and have for a year or so. I have an earthlink account (not shown here for
spam reasons) and it appears you do too. This doesn't use mobile web (but
it's a start in debugging it) Have you tried sending an email message to
your phone (10-digit-phonenumber@vtext.com) and then replying to it? As for
Hotmail, did you use a regular computer and create a hotmail account first?
(I did, that's the email address/with a spamblocker that I use online). Part
2 of the test, I can create and send email to my hotmail address, and then
using the handset and mobile web, go to hotmail and read and reply to any
mail there?. I usually forward it off to my earthlink account at that point
to be able to save/archive it.

Give that a try first, and then if you want to try some more, feel free to
send me email at the address on here (Minus the word NOSPAM).
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 7:18:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:49:11 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:

>Not sure what you mean, it works fine for me (except for me having fat
>fingers and actually trying to type using those silly keys to make
>letters!). Either I'm lucky, or you have a setting that needs to be changed.
>I use my Kyocera 2235, mobile web, and NA to both send and receive email,
>and have for a year or so. I have an earthlink account (not shown here for
>spam reasons) and it appears you do too. This doesn't use mobile web (but
>it's a start in debugging it)

Thanks for the prompt and encouraging response. Looks like it's going
to be workable but I'll need to stick with it long enough to do some
troubleshooting. I just didn't want to waste my time and my airtime
minutes if it was a lost cause.

>Have you tried sending an email message to
>your phone (10-digit-phonenumber@vtext.com) and then replying to it?

Didn't even know such a thing exists. I just now tried it and it works
perfectly (and quickly) both sending and replying. So I've got that
going for me.

>As for
>Hotmail, did you use a regular computer and create a hotmail account first?

Yep. I can send and receive messages at brenthutto@hotmail.com just
fine when I don't use the phone's Mobile Web client.

>(I did, that's the email address/with a spamblocker that I use online). Part
>2 of the test, I can create and send email to my hotmail address, and then
>using the handset and mobile web, go to hotmail and read and reply to any
>mail there?. I usually forward it off to my earthlink account at that point
>to be able to save/archive it.

OK, here's where I'm getting blocked somehow.

On my Audiovox CDM8600 phone, I choose "Mobile Web" from the top-level
menu which takes me to a "VZW with MSN" menu in the phone's browser
client. There's an "E-mail/Messaging" option which brings up another
menu, the first item on which is "MSN Hotmail". It's when I choose
that option that I get an error message starting out "We're sorry.
There's a problem with your access too..." and a bunch more verbiage,
ending with a suggestion to check the vzw.msn.com site. And there's
nothing information about this problem on that site.

So, did I skip a step somewhere that you can see?

>Give that a try first, and then if you want to try some more, feel free to
>send me email at the address on here (Minus the word NOSPAM).

Thanks. I'll do it on the group in case someone in the future finds it
helpful. Worst case. I can make the 10digitphone@vtext.com work fine
for most puporses so I'm already in good shape.

Brent Hutto
Related resources
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 7:18:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Brent Hutto" <brenthutto@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:2it4a0hk2kr9pkrv0hpbhbnsvhkrj42oe6@4ax.com
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:49:11 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Not sure what you mean, it works fine for me (except for me having
>> fat fingers and actually trying to type using those silly keys to
>> make letters!). Either I'm lucky, or you have a setting that needs
>> to be changed. I use my Kyocera 2235, mobile web, and NA to both
>> send and receive email, and have for a year or so. I have an
>> earthlink account (not shown here for spam reasons) and it appears
>> you do too. This doesn't use mobile web (but it's a start in
>> debugging it)
>
> Thanks for the prompt and encouraging response. Looks like it's going
> to be workable but I'll need to stick with it long enough to do some
> troubleshooting. I just didn't want to waste my time and my airtime
> minutes if it was a lost cause.
>
>> Have you tried sending an email message to
>> your phone (10-digit-phonenumber@vtext.com) and then replying to it?
>
> Didn't even know such a thing exists. I just now tried it and it works
> perfectly (and quickly) both sending and replying. So I've got that
> going for me.
>
<snip>
> Brent Hutto

You may want to consider doing what I did, I went to vtext.com and made up a
"Nickname" for my cellphone. When people want to page me/mail me, they just
send to nickname@vtext.com It's a lot easier to remember a "nickname" than a
cell phone number.

As to cost, I played with it after 9pm and on weekends when it was free.
Since my billing cycle is up on the 15th, and I have over 200 minutes left,
I can even putz with it during prime time.

Depending on your phone, you may also be able to use Wi-Fi and some
hotspots. I spend a lot of time in hotels (some of which have HotSpots),
Verizon has Wi-Fi plans (check the website for mobile options), when you are
on one of those plans, and in a place that supports them, you can log on
free (IE it doesn't use minutes)

As for Earthlink, On my account I can create up to 5 subaccounts. I created
one with a name just for paging/email. That one is forwarded to my cell
phone. Normally I wouldn't bother, but I am planning on being out of the US
for a month or so, and email/messages sent to the cellphone won't work, but
with the 800 number, I can check my earthlink account from almost anywhere.

As to the rest of your q's, I'll have to answer them later (did these quick
cause I have to go for a few..)

Marc
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 4:24:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <2gfeccF273e4U1@uni-berlin.de>,
Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>You may want to consider doing what I did, I went to vtext.com and made up a
>"Nickname" for my cellphone. When people want to page me/mail me, they just
>send to nickname@vtext.com It's a lot easier to remember a "nickname" than a
>cell phone number.
>
>As to cost, I played with it after 9pm and on weekends when it was free.
>Since my billing cycle is up on the 15th, and I have over 200 minutes left,
>I can even putz with it during prime time.

I'm a little confused here. Unlike Mobile Web, messaging does not use
airtime. It uses your monthly message bundle, if any, else $.02/received
message, $.10/sent message. Now, if you compose a message on Mobile Web
e-mail, and send e-mail to <10-digit-number>@vtext.com, then THAT uses
airtime, like any other Mobile Web usage.

>Depending on your phone, you may also be able to use Wi-Fi and some
>hotspots. I spend a lot of time in hotels (some of which have HotSpots),
>Verizon has Wi-Fi plans (check the website for mobile options), when you are
>on one of those plans, and in a place that supports them, you can log on
>free (IE it doesn't use minutes)

But this has nothing to do with your wireless phone. Your ordinary WiFi
card in your laptop talks to an ordinary WiFi hot spot. It's just that
the hot spot is provided by VZW, and usage is billed to your VZW account.

Sort of like the AirFone deal, where you can use AirFone phones on
aircraft, with your VZW number being forwarded to the AirFone while you
are onboard, and AirFone airtime billed to your VZW account.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 4:24:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
news:c7uf8i02jle@news4.newsguy.com
> In article <2gfeccF273e4U1@uni-berlin.de>,
> Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>> You may want to consider doing what I did, I went to vtext.com and
>> made up a "Nickname" for my cellphone. When people want to page
>> me/mail me, they just send to nickname@vtext.com It's a lot easier
>> to remember a "nickname" than a cell phone number.
>>
>> As to cost, I played with it after 9pm and on weekends when it was
>> free. Since my billing cycle is up on the 15th, and I have over 200
>> minutes left, I can even putz with it during prime time.
>
> I'm a little confused here. Unlike Mobile Web, messaging does not use
> airtime. It uses your monthly message bundle, if any, else
> $.02/received message, $.10/sent message. Now, if you compose a
> message on Mobile Web e-mail, and send e-mail to
> <10-digit-number>@vtext.com, then THAT uses airtime, like any other
> Mobile Web usage.
>
=======================================
You may want to log on and read the help files... specifically at vtext it
says:
To Send a TXT to an individual or multiple Verizon Wireless messaging
subscribers,
simply enter a Verizon Wireless 10-digit mobile number, a Verizon Wireless
SMS 'nickname'@vtext.com,
or click on a contact from your Contact List.

Notice the above says "a Verizon Wireless SMS 'nickname'@vtext.com"

I've tried it, and it works...
========================================
>> Depending on your phone, you may also be able to use Wi-Fi and some
>> hotspots. I spend a lot of time in hotels (some of which have
>> HotSpots), Verizon has Wi-Fi plans (check the website for mobile
>> options), when you are on one of those plans, and in a place that
>> supports them, you can log on free (IE it doesn't use minutes)
>
> But this has nothing to do with your wireless phone. Your ordinary
> WiFi card in your laptop talks to an ordinary WiFi hot spot. It's
> just that the hot spot is provided by VZW, and usage is billed to
> your VZW account.
>
> Sort of like the AirFone deal, where you can use AirFone phones on
> aircraft, with your VZW number being forwarded to the AirFone while
> you are onboard, and AirFone airtime billed to your VZW account.
=========================================
Nothing like that at all. Thats a way old perception.

You may have an old contract or an old brochure. The web site has changed in
the last few months.
Specifically at the verizonwireless.com web site, go to Mobile Options/High
Speed Wireless/Wi-Fi Access
and it says all sorts of new things, some of which (In fancy tables rather
than text as is displayed here)
Choose your Wi-Fi option
Whether you need Wi-Fi for one day or every day, you can add one of these
unlimited plans to your Verizon Wireless calling plan and access the service
in as many Verizon Wireless Wi-FiAccess hot spot locations as you wish.
Verizon Wireless Wi-FiAccess
Monthly Unlimited Access $34.99
Daily Unlimited Access (for 24 hours)** $ 6.99
All subscriptions renew automatically. Monthly unlimited access
automatically renews monthly. Daily Unlimited Access automatically renews
for another 24-hour period when you login the first time after your previous
24-hour period has expired.

as to devices, it says:
Compatible Equipment
You need a laptop computer or Pocket PC with either built-in Wi-Fi
capability or a separate installed Wi-Fi (802.11b) PC card. Wi-Fi cards may
be purchased at your local computer hardware or electronics retailer.

Note the addition: "or a separate installed Wi-Fi (802.11b) PC card" I have
mine in a Samsung i700 (phone and PDA combo, and has a slot for SD cards, I
use an SDIO card that is 802.11b capable)


*Peak speed for Verizon Wireless Wi-FiAccess is 1.544 Mbps. Actual speed
will vary depending upon distance from the access point, the number of users
on the access point, interference from other access points, applications
used, and other variables of wireless service.
**Each session lasts 24 hours from the time of first log-on to the service.
You can log off and on to the service during the 24-hour period without
incurring additional charges. You may also access the service from any of
the Verizon Wireless Wi-FiAccess locations during the 24-hour period without
incurring additional charges.


Several manufacturers make SDIO cards that go in certain models of phones
and make them terminals to a wireless network. I Have an Audiovox i700 and
an SDIO card that lets me both log onto 802.11x networks when at work or
home, verizons wi-fi hotspots when I am near one, etc:

Rather than retype the whole thing, see the thread "Can Samsung i700 cell
phone/pda do "Verizon wireless sync" with a Mac?" in this thread, I give
descriptions and websites of vendors. Note it is a cellphone/PDA, and
**NOT** a laptop.



One thing I have learned in my years of phone and computer stuff, just about
the time you learn something, they come out with something new!
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 12:26:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I've found that Yahoo Mail (an option on the phone's Mobile Web menu)
works after all. It's just slow so the message didn't come through for
an hour or so. Now that I know about sending a short message through
vtext.com and now that Yahoo Mail works I don't really care so much as
to why hotmail.com is broken. It's a spam nightmare anyway.

So for what it's worth, people can send me short messages directly,
Yahoo lets me do longer messages myself and I can do some basic web
browsing of weather, directions and telephone number lookup all from
my CDM8600. That's good enough for five bucks a month, I think...

Brent Hutto
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:32:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <2gg8elF2jmipU1@uni-berlin.de>,
Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
>news:c7uf8i02jle@news4.newsguy.com
>> In article <2gfeccF273e4U1@uni-berlin.de>,
>> Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> You may want to consider doing what I did, I went to vtext.com and
>>> made up a "Nickname" for my cellphone. When people want to page
>>> me/mail me, they just send to nickname@vtext.com It's a lot easier
>>> to remember a "nickname" than a cell phone number.
>>>
>>> As to cost, I played with it after 9pm and on weekends when it was
>>> free. Since my billing cycle is up on the 15th, and I have over 200
>>> minutes left, I can even putz with it during prime time.
>>
>> I'm a little confused here. Unlike Mobile Web, messaging does not use
>> airtime. It uses your monthly message bundle, if any, else
>> $.02/received message, $.10/sent message. Now, if you compose a
>> message on Mobile Web e-mail, and send e-mail to
>> <10-digit-number>@vtext.com, then THAT uses airtime, like any other
>> Mobile Web usage.
>>
>=======================================
>You may want to log on and read the help files... specifically at vtext it
>says:
>To Send a TXT to an individual or multiple Verizon Wireless messaging
>subscribers,
>simply enter a Verizon Wireless 10-digit mobile number, a Verizon Wireless
>SMS 'nickname'@vtext.com,
>or click on a contact from your Contact List.
>
>Notice the above says "a Verizon Wireless SMS 'nickname'@vtext.com"

Oh... Your talking about TXT'ing on the vtext Web site? Sure, if you are
sitting at a WEB browser on a Internet-connected PC or PDA, you can send
TXT messages as described above. But that has nothing to do with airtime,
unless you are getting to the Internet using your phone as wireless
modem as per Mobile Office. Or you can just send email in the usual way
to <10-digit-number-or-nickname>@vtext.com. Or, if you are real geek, you
can type "telnet smtpsp.vtext.com 25" at a command prompt on a PC and
type in the SMTP protocol directly. Still, the TXT'ing has nothing to
do with airtime.


>========================================
>>> Depending on your phone, you may also be able to use Wi-Fi and some
>>> hotspots. I spend a lot of time in hotels (some of which have
>>> HotSpots), Verizon has Wi-Fi plans (check the website for mobile
>>> options), when you are on one of those plans, and in a place that
>>> supports them, you can log on free (IE it doesn't use minutes)
>>
>> But this has nothing to do with your wireless phone. Your ordinary
>> WiFi card in your laptop talks to an ordinary WiFi hot spot. It's
>> just that the hot spot is provided by VZW, and usage is billed to
>> your VZW account.
>>
>> Sort of like the AirFone deal, where you can use AirFone phones on
>> aircraft, with your VZW number being forwarded to the AirFone while
>> you are onboard, and AirFone airtime billed to your VZW account.
>=========================================
>Nothing like that at all. Thats a way old perception.
>
>You may have an old contract or an old brochure. The web site has changed in
>the last few months.
>Specifically at the verizonwireless.com web site, go to Mobile Options/High
>Speed Wireless/Wi-Fi Access
>and it says all sorts of new things, some of which (In fancy tables rather
>than text as is displayed here)
>Choose your Wi-Fi option
>Whether you need Wi-Fi for one day or every day, you can add one of these
>unlimited plans to your Verizon Wireless calling plan and access the service
>in as many Verizon Wireless Wi-FiAccess hot spot locations as you wish.
>Verizon Wireless Wi-FiAccess
>Monthly Unlimited Access $34.99
>Daily Unlimited Access (for 24 hours)** $ 6.99
>All subscriptions renew automatically. Monthly unlimited access
>automatically renews monthly. Daily Unlimited Access automatically renews
>for another 24-hour period when you login the first time after your previous
>24-hour period has expired.
>
>as to devices, it says:
>Compatible Equipment
>You need a laptop computer or Pocket PC with either built-in Wi-Fi
>capability or a separate installed Wi-Fi (802.11b) PC card. Wi-Fi cards may
>be purchased at your local computer hardware or electronics retailer.
>
>Note the addition: "or a separate installed Wi-Fi (802.11b) PC card" I have
>mine in a Samsung i700 (phone and PDA combo, and has a slot for SD cards, I
>use an SDIO card that is 802.11b capable)
>
<< SNIP >>
>
>Several manufacturers make SDIO cards that go in certain models of phones
>and make them terminals to a wireless network. I Have an Audiovox i700 and
>an SDIO card that lets me both log onto 802.11x networks when at work or
>home, verizons wi-fi hotspots when I am near one, etc:
>
>Rather than retype the whole thing, see the thread "Can Samsung i700 cell
>phone/pda do "Verizon wireless sync" with a Mac?" in this thread, I give
>descriptions and websites of vendors. Note it is a cellphone/PDA, and
>**NOT** a laptop.

OK... add PDAs (possibly a cellphone combo) to the WiFiAccess list.
In my mind, a PDA is just a miniature laptap (a "palmtop", so to speak).
I read the same Web page. But you are connecting at the hotspot using
the 802.11x network, not the cellular network. Your WiFi airtime is
totally unrelated to your cellular airtime. The fact that your PDA
happens to also have a built-in cellphone is really not relevant to the
WiFiAccess functionality. Once you have an account set up, you don't
need a cellphone at all to access VZW's WiFiAccess. You can use a
laptop with a WiFi card, a PDA with WiFi, PDA with WiFi+cellphone,
whatever, as long as it has WiFi. And with your VZW PDA/cellphone/WiFi,
you can also connect to any other WiFi hotspot you have an account on,
such as the ones at Starbucks run by Cingular.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:32:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
news:c7vfbi0104e@news1.newsguy.com
<snipped>

Maybe you missed the point. Verizon not only has cellphone internet
access(with or without laptops/mobileweb etc), but they ALSO have Wi-Fi
access. If you go for one of their unlimited Wi-Fi access plans, and have
any of the phones that support it, it does *NOT* use cell minutes, and runs
about $40 a month (or $7 a day, again for unlimited use). It made a lot more
sense to have multiple ways to connect, you never really know what you will
have at any specific location. Now I always have the cell connect as a
backup, albeit at the cost of minutes.

For me it made more sense to buy an SDIO card (for about $80) and be able to
connect to any Wi-Fi system (both at home and at work), rather than just the
verizon one. If I end up in a hotel that has a Wi-Fi, work pays the
additional daily/monthly charge for that specific access, and I can use it
there too.

I just happen to have an Audiovox, use it and the SDIO card, both personally
and for business, and know for a fact that it works, since I have been using
it for months.

At any rate, the original q was about email, and we got sidetracked. The OP
had asked about email and mobile web, and said his MSN/Hotmail wasn't
working. I have an email account on earthlink (as does he) that I can use as
either a web-based system from a term/other computer etc, but also from my
email program, using the isp's mail server via either 802.11 (and whatever
internet connection they have, handy when wardriving :)  or cell.

When I installed the software for the SDIO card, it made my system in to
it's own server, for software connections, I just tell it to use the
internal lan (whatever is active). Whether for email or browsing, it always
looks on the "internal lan" (not it's actual name, but the way it works),
and data is put onto it by the cell/802.11x etc., and if I happen to be on a
WAN with an active internet connection, or cell, it just looks for the
server on whatever connection is active. Worst case, I can just use the
browser to access my webmail mailbox.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 11:21:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <2gh3acF2plecU1@uni-berlin.de>,
Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
>news:c7vfbi0104e@news1.newsguy.com
><snipped>
>
>Maybe you missed the point. Verizon not only has cellphone internet
>access(with or without laptops/mobileweb etc), but they ALSO have Wi-Fi
>access. If you go for one of their unlimited Wi-Fi access plans, and have
>any of the phones that support it, it does *NOT* use cell minutes, and runs
>about $40 a month (or $7 a day, again for unlimited use). It made a lot more
>sense to have multiple ways to connect, you never really know what you will
>have at any specific location. Now I always have the cell connect as a
>backup, albeit at the cost of minutes.

I think we are on the same page. My point was that the WiFi service
provided by VZW is totally disjoint from the cellular service, except
that both show up on your VZW bill. I agree that it is nice to have
the fast WiFi access, and to be able to seamlessly fall back to the cellular
Internet access. Now all we need to do is add satellite access to have
ALL the bases covered for on-the-go Internet access :-)

And my point on the TXT'ing was just that TXT messaging has nothing to
do with airtime, and the OP seemed unclear about that.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 11:21:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
news:c80hrb128qf@news4.newsguy.com
> I agree that it is nice to have
> the fast WiFi access, and to be able to seamlessly fall back to the
> cellular Internet access. Now all we need to do is add satellite
> access to have
> ALL the bases covered for on-the-go Internet access :-)
>
Funny you mention that. Last year when I went to Alaska on vacation, I
rented an iridium sat/cell phone combo (handheld, with a big honking
antenna), along with a cable that tied it to my PDA for data access. Aside
from it working almost everywhere (albeit rather expensive to use), I was in
Dawson City Yukon, and the screen (on my PDA with an SDIO card) showed an
active Wi-Fi network at a casino across the street, with a high speed
connection to the internet. Rather strange, dirt streets, no road (just a
ferry) across the yukon river, but a high speed wireless network!

I am thinking about taking off for a year or so in a boat, and that combo
seems like It would work almost anywhere in the world. I have heard that
quite a few marinas, and even internet cafes, worldwide have Wi-Fi now. The
main piece still missing is a GSM/CDMA combo cellphone, but I hear they are
coming out with one in a few months. I wonder how long it will take for a
PDA to have that combo?. Guess I'll have to put off running away in a
sailboat until technology catches up. :( 
!