HockeyNYR35

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
Hi,
I want to run an alarm clock on my computer but don't want to run my computer at night. All the computer alarm clock that I saw can't turn on my computer by themselves. Does anybody either know of an alarm clock that turn the computer on automatically or how to make the computer turn itself on when I need it to?

P.S. I have a gigabyte GA-7DXR Motherboard

tastim

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
Well considering alarm clock programs are in fact.... programs... it's tough to run them when your computer is off :) ... best you can hope for is one that will work in sleep mode....

I think I saw a Sony Alarm Clock/CD player/Radio at Target for 40 bucks :p

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
There are web sites that will give you wakeup calls out there. That makes your phone ring though. What you could do is download a macro program of of cnet like "macro commander" and set it to open a mp3 or wav file at a certain time out of sleep mode. There is no "soft" way to automatically turn on a computer. You could do it mechanically with a solid state relay, but then...an alarm clock would be perfect for this application.

GO BillS!!!

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Take a look in your BIOS. There's a section, usually under Power Management, where you will find items listed as RTA or RTC. They stand for Real Time Alarm or Real Time Clock. Setting these items allows you to turn the system on at a predetermined time.

===> Never assume ANYTHING <===

**** Home of Obsolete Hardware ****

okona

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
You could rig up something to move the mouse at a certain time and set bios to come on by mouse or keyboard. Like an old style cuckoo clock.