MacGyver531

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
Ok, first off, my system specs:
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP mobo w/ latest bios update
512 2700 ram
Geforce 4600

My problem is that the system will only boot following a Clear CMOS from jumper settings. This includes cold boots and restarts. Booting without first clearing it causes the system to power up, but no video output, it just hangs. I can't restart/start the system without using the jumpers to clear the CMOS first, but there doesnt seem to be a time restraint on this, I can jumper clear it, and come back 4 days later(with the power off) and it will start right up.

Now, once it loads I get a checksum error and I get option to either go into bios setup or load default value's, if I select default it starts up, and I have windows XP and everything installed already.

The real problem is that I can't change any of the bios settings, because saving them requires you to restart, which then makes the system hang, so i have to clear the changes i made.

I really want to disable onboard sound and change a couple other settings, anyone know what to do other than send it in?(bought it online, pain in ass to RMA it)

oh yeah, and I can restart from the Q-Flash utility fine, but restarting from windows or the bios still makes the system hang. cold boots without clearing the cmos prior always hang

okona

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
Bad board. Send it back and cut your losses. However, make sure your memory is good first and it's not causing a boot problem.

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
I have EXACTLY the same problem on a system I got just today. Checksum after cleared cmos, but in all other cases an immediate hang with no beeps and no video signal. The machine is an Athlon 2000, 512mb DDR333, ECS K7vta3 mobo. I checked to see if the bios would take a flash and it hung while reading the new bios bin file, before it would ask if I wanted to save the old bios. My hard drive is empty and I was able to partition and format using a startup diskette, but when I tried to start up using cd-rom support it would hang as it was trying to load the cd-rom driver. I tried replacing the mobo battery and that made no difference.

John A