I want to download a diagnostic program to disk so I can also use it on
other computers in the office. But I was told this may be quite a slow
process, as it should be downloaded to the HD so it can interact with the HD
quickly and easily whenever reqd, as it is an insider. If used from the disk
it will take longer as it has to go into the reqd areas of the HD on a fresh
basis every time it is reqd, as it is an outsider. Would that be true? Some
expert comments please.
TIA

Hello Ben,

There are several things that you need to think about here. Are you talking
about a floppy disk or a CD or other removable media? For the original
question, yes applications will run slower from removable media. Some
applications write information back to the disk during operation, this most
likely isn't possible from some media like a CD and running from a floppy
will slow the process even more. Some applications will require installing
to a hard drive to work properly. Another question is with the licensing of
the application, does the license allow for you to run the application in
that way? Does it allow to be installed on more than one machine? Is the
software from a reputable company? Some diagnostics software can cause
irreversible damage if interrupted during the process. You might want to
contact the manufacturer of the application and ask for their
recommendations.

Thank You

Bobby Mikkelson
Microsoft

purposes only.

"Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to download a diagnostic program to disk so I can also use it on
> other computers in the office. But I was told this may be quite a slow
> process, as it should be downloaded to the HD so it can interact with the
HD
> quickly and easily whenever reqd, as it is an insider. If used from the
disk
> it will take longer as it has to go into the reqd areas of the HD on a
fresh
> basis every time it is reqd, as it is an outsider. Would that be true?
Some
> expert comments please.
> TIA

Thanks for your advise.
I was thinking of putting it on floppy if less than 1.4 Mb in size and on CD
if bigger. The downloads I was thinking are the freebies. Some Registry
Cleaners are free.

I am a newuser no doubt but XP Home has virtually no diagnostics, unlike
WinME my previous, where registry diagnostic was "scanreg /fix", but I don't
see any on XP. Also IE could be repaired on ME but not on XP. I was told of
some on the KB articles, but those are tedious and daunting for newusers.
Also the good old Scandisk is no more, etc. Is XP that stable that it
doesn't need diagnostics? I doubt. Mine is a new computer one month old
preloaded with XP home, and I already got into quite a bit of trouble after
downloading a Patch recommended at the Systems Tray. (KB867801). I tried to
get MS help but they asked me to go to my OEM manufacturer, who doesn't
really know what to do. One does need to patch the patch.
Regards