SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION!!

System volume Information(a system hidden folder) is
consuming huge amount(550mb,662mb & so on) of space in all
the HDdrives of my system..this autoconsumption of
diskspace is everincreasing day by day..
1.Why does this so happen??
2.Is this autoconsumption of diskspace useful or is it
unwanted???
3.what to do to stop/prevent this---please advice..
4.does this happen with all OS(win-98,ME,XP) or only with
win-XP???
5.what should be the ideal file systems in a dual boot
with win-ME & XP ???

Please reply to all 5 questions... Regards, Rahul...

spec:-2 HDDs; dual boot with win-ME on C:(primary master)
& XP on D:(primary slave);FAT32 on all drives.

1,2,3. System Volume Information is your System Restore data.
The space used is base on your settings:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx
If there is a problem with System Restore, sometimes it does not
delete the old data, turn Off/On System Restore to resolve.
4. Only OSs with System Restore such as Windows ME and Windows XP.
5. Ideal? What is your definition of ideal?
Windows XP is more secure and stable with NTFS
NTFS is not available on Windows ME.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"RAHUL GHOSH.." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> System volume Information(a system hidden folder) is
> consuming huge amount(550mb,662mb & so on) of space in all
> the HDdrives of my system..this autoconsumption of
> diskspace is everincreasing day by day..
> 1.Why does this so happen??
> 2.Is this autoconsumption of diskspace useful or is it
> unwanted???
> 3.what to do to stop/prevent this---please advice..
> 4.does this happen with all OS(win-98,ME,XP) or only with
> win-XP???
> 5.what should be the ideal file systems in a dual boot
> with win-ME & XP ???
>
> Please reply to all 5 questions... Regards, Rahul...
>
> spec:-2 HDDs; dual boot with win-ME on C:(primary master)
> & XP on D:(primary slave);FAT32 on all drives.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310405&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"RAHUL GHOSH.." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

| System volume Information(a system hidden folder) is
| consuming huge amount(550mb,662mb & so on) of space in all
| the HDdrives of my system..this autoconsumption of
| diskspace is everincreasing day by day..
| 1.Why does this so happen??
| 2.Is this autoconsumption of diskspace useful or is it
| unwanted???
| 3.what to do to stop/prevent this---please advice..
| 4.does this happen with all OS(win-98,ME,XP) or only with
| win-XP???
| 5.what should be the ideal file systems in a dual boot
| with win-ME & XP ???
|
| Please reply to all 5 questions... Regards, Rahul...
|
| spec:-2 HDDs; dual boot with win-ME on C:(primary master)
| & XP on D:(primary slave);FAT32 on all drives.

TRENDING THREADS