SLOW BOOT & UNWANTED SPACE CONSUMPTION !!

Hi!
I didn't get the concept of volume cluster sizes in
relation to my problem.. can you explain please???
and What is the CMD box you are talking about???how to go
to it??
yeah i did checked the system restore settings as per ur
advice..
there i could find that all my HDdrives are being
monitored and max 12% of diskspace is aloted for system
restore on all drives..
I dont know what should be the correct/optimum
setting..Whether all the drives should be monitored and by
how much (%)???
Please advice..
will modification of this setting have any influence on
booting time(faster/slower)???
will this modification help me overcome the basic problem
of auto-consuming unwanted diskspace on all drives which
goes on increasing day by day??? Or is this a very normal
phenomenon???
N.B:please note that i'm having dual boot with ME & XP
on 2 different drives..
Please reply at the earliest.. Regards, Rahul.

My initial/basic prob was:---
I'm having Celeron 633MHz processor & Intel 810
motherboard..Previously I had only one 20GB SEAGATE
harddisk(with 3 partitions--C,D,E) & 2 CDdrives in my
system that ran only on win-ME..It used to boot pretty
fast & there was no unwanted diskspace autoconsumption on
any of those drives.. Recently I've installed another 40GB
SAMGSUNG harddisk in addition and freshly partitioned &
formated both the HDDs(20GB partitions-C,E,F & 40GB
partitions-D,G,H) and setup a dual boot system with win-ME
on C: & win-XP on D:..
But now my system is booting fairly slower than before,
and more significantly some amount of disk space(say
16kb,40kb,76kb,136kb etc) is automatically consumed in all
the drives every few times the system boots.. & this
consumption is increasing gradually & automatically.. I've
noticed that space on drives of 20GB HDD is getting
consumed by multiples of 16kb & space on drives of 40GB
HDD is getting consumed by multiples of 32kb...
My question is:- Previously this peculiar thing was not
happening, then why is it happening now?? How can I stop
this unwanted space consumption in dual boot & make the
system boot faster like it did before???
Present file system for both win-ME & win-XP is FAT32.. My
present IDE conections are as below:-
HDD #20GB - master
HDD #40GB - slave
Both on the primary IDE channel

CD #1 - master
CD #2 - slave
Both on the secondary IDE channel..
Is there anything wrong with my present IDE connection or
file system ?? If yes, please suggest how it should be???

Please help..regards, Rahul...

Byte

CMD = Command Prompt or DOS prompt
Start/Run/type CMD and click OK
BTW - here is a freebie to use for partitioning:
Ranish Partition Manager v2.44 Beta
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/0,fid,6170,fileidx,1,00.asp

TRENDING THREADS