film scanning

G

Like many of you I expect of my age group (a grandad!), I have lots of old 35mm and 16 on 120 B/W and colour negatives and want a scanner that will do justice to the inherent high definition of photographic film.

Now, various companies offer A4 scanners with "built-in" film scanning but many of these seem to just have the user lay the film on the scanner plate where it occupies, I guess, just a few percent of the normal scanned area used for scanning sheets of paper. Thus, surely, only a few percent of the max scanned pixel count can be deployed. In other cases it's quite unclear how the film is scanned.

Seems to me some sort of optical projection of the 35mm film is needed on to the total scanned area of the system.

Does anyone have knowledge of all this out there? The manufacturers never make it clear how their systems work.

Regards, Geoffrey C

G

Hi Geoff
You have a few choices, Canon make 2,the N1220u and the D660u (I think), The N1220u has a adaptor plate that you can buy for it, It has 2400x1200 res, The D660u comes with the adaptor plate, There is also the Agfa E50 which used to have a really good adaptor plate that came with it, but now has the plate built into the lid, For doing 35mm film, slides and 6x4 photo's you can get the HP scanner, I think its called a S50, it is not a flatbed scanner, but has rollers over which the negative passes, it takes up to about a 6x4 photo, but does not do A4 size, probably the HP one is the best, followed by the Agfa then the 2 canons

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by garf on 02/10/01 05:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>