Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with freezing OSes

Last response: in Windows 7
September 25, 2009 4:52:28 AM

i'm having a time with my pc right now. i have 3 internal hds.

one of them has ubuntu (ide, 50 gigs)
another is xp pro (sata, 500 gigs) (legit copy)
the last is windows 7 (ide, 75 gigs
external hd, no os, 300 gigs

i can sometimes boot into xp via grub loader and sometimes i get a ntldr is missing. when i do get in, it freezes.

i can sometimes get into windows 7 via grub loader and sometimes it freezes while loading. after that it tries to fix the startup problem, but sometimes it doesnt work someimes it does. when it does and i finally have 7 loaded, it freezes 5 to 15 minutes later.

i havent tried ubuntu because, really, wat am i gonna do with it?

i have my windows xp disc ready to format everything but i have over 700 gigs of files i wish to save. and i worry that the problem will still be there.

mobo: asus p5ne-sli
gpu: asus gtx 280
cpu: intel quadcore cant remember cheap one
4 gigs of ram

More about : freezing oses

a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2009 5:03:02 AM

Easy BCD lets you tweak the Win7 & Vista bootloader to better co-exist with XP and GRUB.

I think you'll want the 2.0 beta version Im using. You'll need to join the forums to get access to it.
EasyBDC support forums Read the Stick FAQs to get an idea whats going on.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2009 5:04:02 AM

plastichead said:
i have over 700 gigs of files i wish to save.
You have all your stuff backed up, right?
m
l
Related resources
September 25, 2009 5:07:09 AM

will that fix the freezing or just make it easier to get it all loaded then freeze?
m
l

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
September 26, 2009 5:24:35 PM

Check for things like faulty RAM (www.memtest.org), or an overheating CPU (www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php) before wiping out your drives and reinstalling Windows. This sounds more like a potential hardware problem than a boot loader issue to me.
September 30, 2009 4:12:14 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Check for things like faulty RAM (www.memtest.org), or an overheating CPU (www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php) before wiping out your drives and reinstalling Windows. This sounds more like a potential hardware problem than a boot loader issue to me.

yeah i i used the memtest in the grub loader, everything checked out. so i tried disconnecting one Hard drive at time. turns out my 500 gig sata was dying and i guess causing the computer to freeze. it's been removed and all is well (except for the loss of data :(  )
m
l
!