Sign in with
Your question

something wrong with hdd activity light

Last response: in Motherboards
September 18, 2002 9:25:52 PM

The led light is plugged into the mobo correctly, the problem is that the hdd light stays on all the time when i turn on the computer. It only starts to blink if i put it on standby or hibernate, and after it comes back on the hdd led starts blinking. It may be controllable from the bios but i have no idea.
September 18, 2002 9:47:36 PM

Sounds like it's plugged into the mobo the wrong way. Try turning the plug around and reconnecting. Does the HDD work correctly ? (i.e. the ribbon is connect correctly right?)

Cheers,
JasonR

*** Whoa...I just figured out how to make my text <font color=blue> Red </font color=blue>, <font color=white> White </font color=white> and <font color=red> Blue </font color=red>...Cool !!! ***
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2002 9:49:35 PM

Sounds like you're a little short on RAM.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
Related resources
September 18, 2002 9:59:20 PM

i have 256mb ddr, so i think i have enough ram. i thought the plug was put in wrong but when i put it in the other way the led didn't come on. it just stays on all the time, unless i go to standby and come out of it, then the led starts blinking.
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2002 10:09:36 PM

Do you yahoo? 32MB just to open Yahoo messanger. Are you eXPerienced? 123MB just to load system files. Etc. You might be caching programs to the hard drive from the time the computer starts!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
September 18, 2002 10:19:54 PM

i make sure i keep memory usage to a minimum. if i am caching programs to the hd when the computer starts, how come the led is constantly on even when the computer is idle? if i turn it off and turn it on again the led stays on all the time. the led starts blinking only after the computer comes out of standby.
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2002 2:11:23 AM

I don't know what the problem is then. I've seen it crop up when the system was using a lot of virtual memory (even when the thing is idle), but if your memory usage is low enough, I don't have an explaination.

September 19, 2002 3:49:32 AM

do you have any other device connected to the same IDE connector than the HDD, like CDROM?

Try to remove them and keep only your HDD

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
September 19, 2002 11:27:47 AM

Have you done what JasonR suggests you, cause I've had the same problem and plugging it the other way had corrected the problem... And from my (little) experience, it's the only reason I've met for this issue.
!