Deactivate MSConfig

After I used msconfig to resolve a problem and then specified normal
startup, it continues to appear on startup, with the message that I have
specifed a special startup. The KB suggests that when this happens, to make
sure all startup items and services are marked to startup normally. They
are, but the dialog continues to appear. I looked around in the registry
for something that might turn it off, but I couldn't spot anything. Can
someone suggest a way to turn off the msconfig dialog?

srdiamond

See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, Disable MSConfig Selective Startup Screen.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Stephen R. Diamond" <srdiamond152000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eek:psb4n52rnun0prw@jq0arm4...
> After I used msconfig to resolve a problem and then specified normal
> startup, it continues to appear on startup, with the message that I have
> specifed a special startup. The KB suggests that when this happens, to make
> sure all startup items and services are marked to startup normally. They
> are, but the dialog continues to appear. I looked around in the registry
> for something that might turn it off, but I couldn't spot anything. Can
> someone suggest a way to turn off the msconfig dialog?
>
> srdiamond

Using regedit (type regedit in the run box) check out the following keys.

The default settings should look like this

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\ExpandFrom]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\ExpandTo]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\services]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\state]
"system.ini"=dword:00000000
"win.ini"=dword:00000000
"bootini"=dword:00000000
"services"=dword:00000000
"startup"=dword:00000000

If there are any other entries then you have found the item that is causing
the issue

Regards
Mark Dormer