Every time i connect/login to the internet, couple of .tmp
files (names starting with 'f' like fa707f5f_{F93287FC-
65EE-4612-8852-C5AAE0AC9E0D}.tmp) of 0kb size are
autogenerated in the "C:\WINDOWS" folder..
In this way, the C:\WINDOWS folder is getting garbaged
with such .tmp files upon every internet login..Previously
this was not happening in my system.. What to do to
stop/prevent this autogeneration of these .tmp files???
Please suggest..
N.B--these .tmp files ARE NOT the temporary internet files
within "C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files" folder...

Rahul..

"RAHUL GHOSH" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Every time i connect/login to the internet, couple of .tmp
>files (names starting with 'f' like fa707f5f_{F93287FC-
>65EE-4612-8852-C5AAE0AC9E0D}.tmp) of 0kb size are
>autogenerated in the "C:\WINDOWS" folder..
>In this way, the C:\WINDOWS folder is getting garbaged
>with such .tmp files upon every internet login..Previously
>this was not happening in my system.. What to do to
>stop/prevent this autogeneration of these .tmp files???
>Please suggest..
>N.B--these .tmp files ARE NOT the temporary internet files
>within "C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files" folder...
>
>Rahul..

Got any Norton products installed on your computer?

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

yeah, norton antivirus... but why is it so happening???
rahul...

don't eat much."
>.

You sure you are running XP as this is a known ME problem.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

David Candy wrote:
> You sure you are running XP as this is a known ME problem.

In another post Rahul stated the machine Dual Boots with Windows ME.

--
<- Shenan ->

David Candy wrote:
> If it's in ME then MDM.exe creates two temp files at startup but
> doesn't delete them. The computer will stop working sooner or later
> (when one hits the 64K limit on folder names) if they aren't deleted.
>
> http://www.careyholzman.com/fixes.htm
> or

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=cache:BBPngSZX-YIJ:support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q221/4/38.asp+Q221438+&hl=en&lr=lang_en|lang_es

Thanks David - I don't have the problem, but adding more information to my
brain is always a good thing. *grin* As always - friendly and complete.

http://www.careyholzman.com/fixes.htm
( Short Link: http://snipurl.com/87rl )
( Short Link: http://snipurl.com/87rm )

--
<- Shenan ->

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message news:Ok06$$ZeEHA.3148@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> RAHUL GHOSH wrote:
> > Every time i connect/login to the internet, couple of .tmp
> > files (names starting with 'f' like fa707f5f_{F93287FC-
> > 65EE-4612-8852-C5AAE0AC9E0D}.tmp) of 0kb size are
> > autogenerated in the "C:\WINDOWS" folder..
> > In this way, the C:\WINDOWS folder is getting garbaged
> > with such .tmp files upon every internet login..Previously
> > this was not happening in my system.. What to do to
> > stop/prevent this autogeneration of these .tmp files???
> > Please suggest..
>
> Ron Martell wrote:
> > Got any Norton products installed on your computer?
>
> RAHUL GHOSH wrote:
> > yeah, norton antivirus... but why is it so happening???
> > rahul...
>
> David Candy wrote:
> > You sure you are running XP as this is a known ME problem.
>
> In another post Rahul stated the machine Dual Boots with Windows ME.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
> --
> The information is provided "as is", with no guarantees of
> completeness, accuracy or timeliness, and without warranties of any
> kind, express or implied. In other words, read up before you take any
> advice - you are the one ultimately responsible for your actions.

No... as I've mentioned in my first post that i have a
dual boot with XP & ME..This prob is happening when logged
in ME.. But with XP,there is some different prob:--
often there is RPC call and i'm getting disconected and
have to restart my system...
pls advice...

wrote:

>> of .tmp
{F93287FC-
garbaged
>> login..Previously
files???
>> files

>> >Got any Norton products installed on your computer?
>> >

>> >Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> >--
>> >Microsoft MVP
>> >On-Line Help Computer Service
>> >http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>> >
>> >"The reason computer chips are so small is computers
>> don't eat much."
>> >.
>> >
>.

That's a virus.