Sabertooth007

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
I have been having random crash errors in Windows 98SE and XP. I have been trying to lock down what the problem is but with little success. I feel like a dog chasing my tail. Every problem I suspect fails to prove to be the direct cause or I can't reproduce it to where I can confirm it is that part or not.

Now on my ASUS P4B533-v (onboard video and sound disabled - using Audigy and GeForce 3 Ti500 - also I had no issues with these same cards in my previous install so I know these cards aren't the issue) it has the APIC option and of course the plug and play OS in the bios menu.

Now since Win98SE doesn't support APIC - meaning it can't use what it offers, so it simply uses the standard IRQ's that are normally available. In XP of course it can and does use the APIC, but it sets all my cards to a setting above 20. So my Audigy is like IRQ22, my NIC IRQ20, my GeForce something like 18 and my Adaptec 2940u2w to something like IRQ 21.

But could the apic be causing problems, since all the cards including the GeForce predate the APIC and hence maybe don't like being given an IRQ above 16. But then why would this be an issue in Win98SE since Win98 doesn't use it.

Now the only difference between my system now and the previous install of course is the new mobo and cpu and running Win98SE and WinXP (note I use removeable drive tray to keep the two os's on seperate drives - :) no dual boot issues then).

So the question is could apic and the plug and play os option in the bios be any explanation for the problems. If so, will XP allow a wholesale change of irq's by turning off apic and turning on plug and play.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That would be ACPI. I don't know if it's your problem though. Try shuffling the cars around. I know for certain that this particular SCSI card does not share slot IRQ's well.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>