HUGE AUTO SPACE CONSUMPTION !!

Hi!
I'm having Celeron 633MHz processor & Intel 810
motherboard..Previously I had only one 20GB SEAGATE
harddisk(with 3 partitions--C,D,E) & 2 CDdrives in my
system that used to run only on win-ME..It used to boot
pretty fast & there was no unwanted diskspace
autoconsumption on any of those drives..
Recently I've installed another 40GB SAMGSUNG harddisk in
addition and freshly partitioned & formated both the HDDs
(20GB partitions-C,E,F & 40GB partitions-D,G,H) and setup
a dual boot system with win-ME on C: & win-XP on D:..
But now my system is booting fairly slower than before,
and more significantly some amount of disk space(say
16kb,40kb,76kb,136kb etc) is automatically consumed in all
the drives upon every few times the system boots.. & this
consumption is increasing gradually & automatically..
I've noticed that space on drives of 20GB HDD is getting
consumed by multiples of 16kb & space on drives of 40GB
HDD is getting consumed by multiples of 32kb...
My questions are:- Previously this peculiar thing was not
happening, then why is it happening now?? How can I stop
this unwanted space consumption in dual boot & make the
system boot faster like it did before???
My Present file system for both win-ME & win-XP is FAT32..
My present IDE conections are as below:-
HDD #20GB - master
HDD #40GB - slave
Both on the primary IDE channel

CD #1 - master
CD #2 - slave
Both on the secondary IDE channel..
Is there anything wrong with my present IDE connection or
file system ?? If yes, please suggest how it should be???

But someone few days ago, has blamed me about not taking
into account the volume cluster sizes in relation to my
above problem..
He also advised me to run a chkdsk from the CMD box...

But I didn't get the concept of volume cluster sizes in
relation to my problem.. can you explain please???
and What is the CMD box he was talking about???how to get
to it??
& yeah i did checked the system restore settings as per
his advice..
there i could find that all my HDdrives are being
monitored and max 12% of diskspace is alloted for system
restore on all drives..
I dont know what should be the correct/optimum
setting..Whether all the drives should be monitored and by
how much (%)???
Please advice..
will modification of this setting have any influence on
booting time(faster/slower)???
will this modification help me overcome the basic problem
of auto-consuming unwanted diskspace on all drives which
goes on increasing day by day??? Or is this a very normal
phenomenon???
N.B:please note that i'm having dual boot with ME & XP
on 2 different drives..

Please Please reply to all the questions.Regards, Rahul.

HEY RAHUL. YA I MEAN YOU RAHUL. HOW MANY TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO ASK THIS SAME QUESTION. STOP ALREADY. YOU'VE GOTTEN TONS OF RESPONSES IF YOU'RE LONELY JOIN THE Y. }:~)
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.

"RAHUL GHOSH" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

<snip>
>I've noticed that space on drives of 20GB HDD is getting
>consumed by multiples of 16kb & space on drives of 40GB
>HDD is getting consumed by multiples of 32kb..

This is normal and expected with the larger partition sizes you are
now using.

FAT32 drives have limits in terms of the total number of clusters that
they can use, especially for disk utilities such as Scandisk and
Defrag.

In order to avoid problems that can arise when there are too many
clusters on a FAT32 drive, Windows automatically increases the cluster
size when a FAT32 drive is formatted so as to keep the total number of
clusters to a value less than 2.1 million.

Drives/partions up to 8 gb use 4K clusters (this is what you had
previously I suspect).
from 8 gb to 16 gb cluster size is 8K
from 16 gb to 32 gb cluster size is 16K
over 32 gb cluster size is 32K.

..
>My questions are:- Previously this peculiar thing was not
>happening, then why is it happening now?? How can I stop
>this unwanted space consumption in dual boot & make the
>system boot faster like it did before???

The cluster size used should not affect the bootup time. There is
something else at play here, such as additional software being loaded
at startup and/or problems with a hardware device driver.

When you boot Windows Me press and hold the Ctrl key as soon as you
select the operating system. That should bring up the Startup Menu.
Choose the "logged - bootlog.txt" option from the menu. Then download
Bootlog Analyzer (free) from
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pk29/ and run it. Use the
"show delays" option to identify the items that are taking a lot of
time during the startup.

With Windows XP the startup may be slower if you do not have at least
256 mb and preferably 512 mb of RAM.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

You might look at the Indexing Service!

I am not bothering to comment about cluster sizes as Ron Martell has
provided an excellent answer.

Poor system performance can be the result of a single problem or a
combination of factors. Listed
below are issues, which you may wish to examine if you are experiencing poor
performance after
the boot process has completed. Some items may help with slow starting of
Windows XP but the
list has not been prepared for tackling that problem. Work through the list
until you achieve an
acceptable result.

Regular and effective housekeeping is essential. What you do and how often
you do it will depend
on how you use your computer. A suggested routine may include:
1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
Cleanup with
Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), System Restore (
more Options tab )
and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
partition you may
need to do this operation for each drive / partition.
4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General, Delete
Cookies.
5. Run Disk Defragmenter.

Check whether you could reduce the number of days the History of sites
visited is retained. Start,
Control Panel, Internet Options, General, History.

Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or
update Reference file
from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
parasites. If Spyware
persists as a problem try a Hosts file.
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over reliance
on virtual memory,
may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an earlier
version of Windows.
Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256 MB
is
recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on pagefile
(virtual
memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
http://www.dougknox.com/

Check how much free space you have on the hard drive / partition where your
pagefile is located.
You need a minimum of 15% but 20% or more is better.

Check your setting for the Indexing Service. Start, Administrative Tools,
Services, Indexing
Service. The default setting is Manual. Check that it is not running. More
information here:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Indexing_Service

You can have too many programmes running in the background. Close
programmes/windows after
use. Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started are
really necessary.
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

Check whether you can identify slow performance with a particular programme.
Look in Google to
see whether others have encountered the same problem and found a solution.
http://groups.google.com/

Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event Viewer by
selecting Start,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of the
error, information
regarding Event ID: and Source Description is important.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"RAHUL GHOSH" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi!
> I'm having Celeron 633MHz processor & Intel 810
> motherboard..Previously I had only one 20GB SEAGATE
> harddisk(with 3 partitions--C,D,E) & 2 CDdrives in my
> system that used to run only on win-ME..It used to boot
> pretty fast & there was no unwanted diskspace
> autoconsumption on any of those drives..
> Recently I've installed another 40GB SAMGSUNG harddisk in
> addition and freshly partitioned & formated both the HDDs
> (20GB partitions-C,E,F & 40GB partitions-D,G,H) and setup
> a dual boot system with win-ME on C: & win-XP on D:..
> But now my system is booting fairly slower than before,
> and more significantly some amount of disk space(say
> 16kb,40kb,76kb,136kb etc) is automatically consumed in all
> the drives upon every few times the system boots.. & this
> consumption is increasing gradually & automatically..
> I've noticed that space on drives of 20GB HDD is getting
> consumed by multiples of 16kb & space on drives of 40GB
> HDD is getting consumed by multiples of 32kb...
> My questions are:- Previously this peculiar thing was not
> happening, then why is it happening now?? How can I stop
> this unwanted space consumption in dual boot & make the
> system boot faster like it did before???
> My Present file system for both win-ME & win-XP is FAT32..
> My present IDE conections are as below:-
> HDD #20GB - master
> HDD #40GB - slave
> Both on the primary IDE channel
>
> CD #1 - master
> CD #2 - slave
> Both on the secondary IDE channel..
> Is there anything wrong with my present IDE connection or
> file system ?? If yes, please suggest how it should be???
>
> But someone few days ago, has blamed me about not taking
> into account the volume cluster sizes in relation to my
> above problem..
> He also advised me to run a chkdsk from the CMD box...
>
> But I didn't get the concept of volume cluster sizes in
> relation to my problem.. can you explain please???
> and What is the CMD box he was talking about???how to get
> to it??
> & yeah i did checked the system restore settings as per
> his advice..
> there i could find that all my HDdrives are being
> monitored and max 12% of diskspace is alloted for system
> restore on all drives..
> I dont know what should be the correct/optimum
> setting..Whether all the drives should be monitored and by
> how much (%)???
> Please advice..
> will modification of this setting have any influence on
> booting time(faster/slower)???
> will this modification help me overcome the basic problem
> of auto-consuming unwanted diskspace on all drives which
> goes on increasing day by day??? Or is this a very normal
> phenomenon???
> N.B:please note that i'm having dual boot with ME & XP
> on 2 different drives..
>
> Please Please reply to all the questions.Regards, Rahul.

rahul

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Actually I'm confused with the different ans.. Infact i've
not yet got the ans according to my ques...