Install Problems

August 3, 2004 8:09:03 PM

While trying to install Windows XP, I got an error message that said "Virus-like activity" followed by "application c:\WINDOWS\WINNT32\WINNT32.EXE is attempting to write to the boot of record drive c." it then gave me the option of "Stop" "Continue" or "Exclude." Because I didn't know what this meant and didn't want to take any chances, I stopped the installation. Does anyone know what this might be?
The setup also had problems with things that wouldn't be upgraded because they aren't applicable in XP. It listed the following:
Network Connection Protocol
NetBEUI

Support for the NETBEUI protocol is not available in Windows XP. For networks using NETBEUI, install TCP/IP on all machines or devices to maintain network connectivity.

What does this mean and is it fixable?

Thanks.

More about : install problems

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 7:36:58 AM

Typical response message from NAV autoprotect when anything tries to write
to a hard disk partition boot record. Thing is, this runs in windows
environment.
Any operating system installation will write to the primary active partition
boot record.

Netbeui is not supported, but it is on the XP install CD, so the message you
recanted is not totally true. That does not imply that there's anything
wrong with netbeui protocol. It just means it won't be supported if you do
install it.

!