Install Problems

While trying to install Windows XP, I got an error message that said "Virus-like activity" followed by "application c:\WINDOWS\WINNT32\WINNT32.EXE is attempting to write to the boot of record drive c." it then gave me the option of "Stop" "Continue" or "Exclude." Because I didn't know what this meant and didn't want to take any chances, I stopped the installation. Does anyone know what this might be?
The setup also had problems with things that wouldn't be upgraded because they aren't applicable in XP. It listed the following:
Network Connection Protocol
NetBEUI

Support for the NETBEUI protocol is not available in Windows XP. For networks using NETBEUI, install TCP/IP on all machines or devices to maintain network connectivity.

What does this mean and is it fixable?

Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about install problems

    Typical response message from NAV autoprotect when anything tries to write
    to a hard disk partition boot record. Thing is, this runs in windows
    environment.
    Any operating system installation will write to the primary active partition
    boot record.

    Netbeui is not supported, but it is on the XP install CD, so the message you
    recanted is not totally true. That does not imply that there's anything
    wrong with netbeui protocol. It just means it won't be supported if you do
    install it.
    "LostinWindowsTranslation"
    <LostinWindowsTranslation@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > While trying to install Windows XP, I got an error message that said
    "Virus-like activity" followed by "application
    c:\WINDOWS\WINNT32\WINNT32.EXE is attempting to write to the boot of record
    drive c." it then gave me the option of "Stop" "Continue" or "Exclude."
    Because I didn't know what this meant and didn't want to take any chances, I
    stopped the installation. Does anyone know what this might be?
    > The setup also had problems with things that wouldn't be upgraded because
    they aren't applicable in XP. It listed the following:
    > Network Connection Protocol
    > NetBEUI
    >
    > Support for the NETBEUI protocol is not available in Windows XP. For
    networks using NETBEUI, install TCP/IP on all machines or devices to
    maintain network connectivity.

    > What does this mean and is it fixable?
    >
    > Thanks.

Windows XP