File renaming

Is there an easy way of renaming a batch of files on XP? Transferring large
quantities from digital camera and it's a pain renaming each one!

Thanks

If you are naming them all different names you have to do
them seperatley, if you won't to name them all the same
thing just go into the folder, click the Edit menu, and
choose select all,or you can choose which onew you wantby
holding Ctrl and clicking the ones you want, then right
click on one of the files and hit rename then rename to
whatever you wish.<<<<Justin

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

> [...]

that *will* work, but one could ask: "is there such a big difference in
akward naming?", between an original naming, like
IMG_1318.JPG
or the renamed version that (using this technique) could come out as:
PICTURE (78).JPG

IMHO neither one is attractive

:))

Select the files you want to rename.
Right click the first in the series
Rename
Type the new name, and then press ENTER.
[[All of the files in the series will be named in sequence using the new
name you type. For example, if you type Birthday, the other files in the
series will be named Birthday (1), Birthday (2), and so on.

To select consecutive files or folders, click the first item, press and hold
down SHIFT, and then click the last item. To select nonconsecutive files or
folders, press and hold down CTRL, and then click each item.

To specify the starting number for the series, type the starting number in
parenthesis after the new file name. The files in the series will be
numbered in sequence starting with the number you type. For example, if you
type Birthday (10), the other files will be named Birthday (11), Birthday
(12), and so on. ]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:cept0n$pv9$1@hercules.btinternet.com,
Crazy man <alcoNOSPAM@bigfoot.com> hunted and pecked:
> Is there an easy way of renaming a batch of files on XP? Transferring
> large quantities from digital camera and it's a pain renaming each
> one!
>
> Thanks

Neither help really.

Trying to take from (example) DSCN0001 - 0099

24-07-01 - 24-07-99 (my preferred method of naming digital photos

Renaming each one takes AGES!

Thanks

How do you want to rename them. From what to what. You need to specify precisely how you want the renaming to go.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"Crazy man" <alcoNOSPAM@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:cept0n$pv9$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> Is there an easy way of renaming a batch of files on XP? Transferring large
> quantities from digital camera and it's a pain renaming each one!
>
> Thanks

Thanks folks, getting there!

I want to rename series from DSCN0001 onwards to:

(example) 01-04-02 (1 April 2004) photo 02 that means! onwards.........

So, with this I could amend my file namimg to be 01-04-02 (dd-mm-yy) and
then (1) for photo number.

MANY THANKS, happy customer!!

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
How do you want to rename them. From what to what. You need to specify
precisely how you want the renaming to go.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"Crazy man" <alcoNOSPAM@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Is there an easy way of renaming a batch of files on XP? Transferring
large
> quantities from digital camera and it's a pain renaming each one!
>
> Thanks

Can you express it as a rule. I can't see a relation between the before and after name. Is it a date? if so where from? It looks to me 24th July 2001 to 24th July 1999 though Americans probably won't think that. What happens if two photos are taken on the same date. You need to express what you want as a rule that will apply every time.

EG
All jpeg files in a folder change the name from whatever it is now to todays date adding a number where dates are the same.
DSCN0001.jpeg > 240799.jpeg

or

All jpeg files in a folder change the name from photoes starting with DC to add todays date to the existing name.
DSCN0001.jpeg > 240799DSCN0001

"Crazy man" <alcoNOSPAM@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:ceqo45$r9s$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
> Neither help really.
>
> Trying to take from (example) DSCN0001 - 0099

> 24-07-01 - 24-07-99 (my preferred method of naming digital photos
>
> Renaming each one takes AGES!
>
> Thanks

But where do you get the date from? Or is every photo the same date?

"Crazy man" <alcoNOSPAM@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:cerndu$975$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> Thanks folks, getting there!
>
> I want to rename series from DSCN0001 onwards to:
>
> (example) 01-04-02 (1 April 2004) photo 02 that means! onwards.........
>
> So, with this I could amend my file namimg to be 01-04-02 (dd-mm-yy) and
> then (1) for photo number.
>
> MANY THANKS, happy customer!!
>

> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> How do you want to rename them. From what to what. You need to specify
> precisely how you want the renaming to go.

> 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html
>
> "Crazy man" <alcoNOSPAM@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> > Is there an easy way of renaming a batch of files on XP? Transferring
> large
> > quantities from digital camera and it's a pain renaming each one!
> >
> > Thanks

And do you really mean DSCN0001 becomes photo 02? Is the numeric increment matter, can any photo become photo 02 or a specific photo eg DSCN0002? Also does the 04 mean April (I presume)or 2004. How many photos, are they all in one folder?

There's many decisions to be made on how best to do this. EG the way I'm leaning towards processes files alphabetically on NTFS disks and in order copied (except new files will be in deleted files positions - so in fairly random order) on Fat32 disks.