Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Registry cleaner

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 11:19:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I'm pretty new to XP.
I hesitate to touch the registry but I have beenadvised it is good to clean it up sometimes. Is that correct? If so,
I want to get a registry cleaner that works well and is easy to use for a beginner.
Does anyone know a useful utility to do this?
I checked on Google but there are so many.
Any advice appreciated. If you know a good free version that would be great.
Thanks

More about : registry cleaner

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 12:57:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Both Doug and Carey are mistaken in my opinion. If you do a lot of installing\uninstalling and testing of apps then the registry gets bogged down with useless information and entries. Now while it's true that XP ignores registry entries that are incorrectly entered or written or have invalid associations the mere act of checking leads one to believe that slow down can be the result of a registry full of obsolete entries. I know the eXPerts will claim this is just microseconds but then they all add up to seconds don't they. The best that I have had and still use is the old JV16 Power Tools. You can still get the old free one on some sites. For just the registry cleaner from the tools do and internet search for RegCleaner. }:~)
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.


"TheBFG" wrote:

> I'm pretty new to XP.
> I hesitate to touch the registry but I have beenadvised it is good to clean it up sometimes. Is that correct? If so,
> I want to get a registry cleaner that works well and is easy to use for a beginner.
> Does anyone know a useful utility to do this?
> I checked on Google but there are so many.
> Any advice appreciated. If you know a good free version that would be great.
> Thanks
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 1:31:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

It is not necessary to use a registry cleaner with Windows XP.
However, System Mechanic (www.iolo.com) is an excellent
utility program that includes a relatively safe registry cleaner
and optimizer. It includes a registry backup just in case something
goes amiss. You can try it out free for 30 days.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"TheBFG" <TheBFG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:
news:7F72CAC3-C428-45CB-9625-A5AABC430DEB@microsoft.com...

| I'm pretty new to XP.
| I hesitate to touch the registry but I have beenadvised it is good to clean it up sometimes. Is that
correct? If so,
| I want to get a registry cleaner that works well and is easy to use for a beginner.
| Does anyone know a useful utility to do this?
| I checked on Google but there are so many.
| Any advice appreciated. If you know a good free version that would be great.
| Thanks
Related resources
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 2:28:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Personally, I don't use any, and never have. They all leave something to be desired, in my opinion. However, if you do decide on one, make sure you know how to use its backup and restore features.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"TheBFG" <TheBFG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F72CAC3-C428-45CB-9625-A5AABC430DEB@microsoft.com...
> I'm pretty new to XP.
> I hesitate to touch the registry but I have beenadvised it is good to clean it up sometimes. Is that correct? If so,
> I want to get a registry cleaner that works well and is easy to use for a beginner.
> Does anyone know a useful utility to do this?
> I checked on Google but there are so many.
> Any advice appreciated. If you know a good free version that would be great.
> Thanks
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 9:17:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

The registry may grow significantly if you add and install programs and
don't uninstall them by 'Add/Remove Programs' facility in the Control Panel.
Even so, I very mach doubt if there is any significant increase in start
time due to Registry 'junk'. There certainly appears to be a pschological
benefit from keeping the Registry lean and mean but probably not a practical
benefit. Each may way for themselves the advantages, real or imaginary,
against the risks.


"The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
news:ACBCE8C4-56FD-4A7E-B786-533CFA4FEFDD@microsoft.com...
> Both Doug and Carey are mistaken in my opinion. If you do a lot of
installing\uninstalling and testing of apps then the registry gets bogged
down with useless information and entries. Now while it's true that XP
ignores registry entries that are incorrectly entered or written or have
invalid associations the mere act of checking leads one to believe that slow
down can be the result of a registry full of obsolete entries. I know the
eXPerts will claim this is just microseconds but then they all add up to
seconds don't they. The best that I have had and still use is the old JV16
Power Tools. You can still get the old free one on some sites. For just the
registry cleaner from the tools do and internet search for RegCleaner. }:~)
> --
> There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and
those that can't.
>
>
> "TheBFG" wrote:
>
> > I'm pretty new to XP.
> > I hesitate to touch the registry but I have beenadvised it is good to
clean it up sometimes. Is that correct? If so,
> > I want to get a registry cleaner that works well and is easy to use for
a beginner.
> > Does anyone know a useful utility to do this?
> > I checked on Google but there are so many.
> > Any advice appreciated. If you know a good free version that would be
great.
> > Thanks
August 4, 2004 10:27:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote

> The registry may grow significantly if you add and install programs and
> don't uninstall them by 'Add/Remove Programs' facility in the Control
Panel.
> Even so, I very mach doubt if there is any significant increase in start
> time due to Registry 'junk'. There certainly appears to be a pschological
> benefit from keeping the Registry lean and mean but probably not a
practical
> benefit. Each may way [did you mean to type "weigh"?] for themselves the
advantages, real or imaginary,
> against the risks.

The phrase "anal retention" comes to mind.

Alias
>
>
> "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote

> > Both Doug and Carey are mistaken in my opinion. If you do a lot of
> installing\uninstalling and testing of apps then the registry gets bogged
> down with useless information and entries. Now while it's true that XP
> ignores registry entries that are incorrectly entered or written or have
> invalid associations the mere act of checking leads one to believe that
slow
> down can be the result of a registry full of obsolete entries. I know the
> eXPerts will claim this is just microseconds but then they all add up to
> seconds don't they. The best that I have had and still use is the old JV16
> Power Tools. You can still get the old free one on some sites. For just
the
> registry cleaner from the tools do and internet search for
RegCleaner. }:~)
> > --
> > There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and
> those that can't.
> >
> >
> > "TheBFG" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm pretty new to XP.
> > > I hesitate to touch the registry but I have beenadvised it is good to
> clean it up sometimes. Is that correct? If so,
> > > I want to get a registry cleaner that works well and is easy to use
for
> a beginner.
> > > Does anyone know a useful utility to do this?
> > > I checked on Google but there are so many.
> > > Any advice appreciated. If you know a good free version that would be
> great.
> > > Thanks
>
>
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 10:27:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks to all for the advice.
I'll do some more checking about this.

"Alias" wrote:

>
> "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote
>
> > The registry may grow significantly if you add and install programs and
> > don't uninstall them by 'Add/Remove Programs' facility in the Control
> Panel.
> > Even so, I very mach doubt if there is any significant increase in start
> > time due to Registry 'junk'. There certainly appears to be a pschological
> > benefit from keeping the Registry lean and mean but probably not a
> practical
> > benefit. Each may way [did you mean to type "weigh"?] for themselves the
> advantages, real or imaginary,
> > against the risks.
>
> The phrase "anal retention" comes to mind.
>
> Alias
> >
> >
> > "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote
>
> > > Both Doug and Carey are mistaken in my opinion. If you do a lot of
> > installing\uninstalling and testing of apps then the registry gets bogged
> > down with useless information and entries. Now while it's true that XP
> > ignores registry entries that are incorrectly entered or written or have
> > invalid associations the mere act of checking leads one to believe that
> slow
> > down can be the result of a registry full of obsolete entries. I know the
> > eXPerts will claim this is just microseconds but then they all add up to
> > seconds don't they. The best that I have had and still use is the old JV16
> > Power Tools. You can still get the old free one on some sites. For just
> the
> > registry cleaner from the tools do and internet search for
> RegCleaner. }:~)
> > > --
> > > There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and
> > those that can't.
> > >
> > >
> > > "TheBFG" wrote:
> > >
> > > > I'm pretty new to XP.
> > > > I hesitate to touch the registry but I have beenadvised it is good to
> > clean it up sometimes. Is that correct? If so,
> > > > I want to get a registry cleaner that works well and is easy to use
> for
> > a beginner.
> > > > Does anyone know a useful utility to do this?
> > > > I checked on Google but there are so many.
> > > > Any advice appreciated. If you know a good free version that would be
> > great.
> > > > Thanks
> >
> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 6:00:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Alias" <maskedandanonymous@aka.com> wrote in message
news:2nch3hFu6d7jU1@uni-berlin.de...

Or maybe the phrase "anal retentive?" At least get it right if you're trying
to be clever.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AnalRetentive

>
> The phrase "anal retention" comes to mind.
>
> Alias
August 5, 2004 4:49:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Box134" <box134@wooky.invalid> wrote
>
> "Alias" <maskedandanonymous@aka.com> wrote in message
> news:2nch3hFu6d7jU1@uni-berlin.de...
>
> Or maybe the phrase "anal retentive?" At least get it right if you're
trying
> to be clever.
>
> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AnalRetentive
>
> >
> > The phrase "anal retention" comes to mind.
> >
> > Alias

I can see you haven't studied English grammar. An *anal retentive* person
suffers from *anal retention*. An *attentive* person pays *attention*.

Class over, now go out and play.

Alias
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 7:22:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You have a great talent for tortured logic and non sequiturs. Now go look it
up.


"Alias" <maskedandanonymous@aka.com> wrote in message
news:2nehlgF8pqU1@uni-berlin.de...
>
> I can see you haven't studied English grammar. An *anal retentive* person
> suffers from *anal retention*. An *attentive* person pays *attention*.
>
> Class over, now go out and play.
>
> Alias
>
>
!