Registry cleaner

I'm pretty new to XP.
I hesitate to touch the registry but I have beenadvised it is good to clean it up sometimes. Is that correct? If so,
I want to get a registry cleaner that works well and is easy to use for a beginner.
Does anyone know a useful utility to do this?
I checked on Google but there are so many.
Any advice appreciated. If you know a good free version that would be great.
Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about registry cleaner

    Both Doug and Carey are mistaken in my opinion. If you do a lot of installing\uninstalling and testing of apps then the registry gets bogged down with useless information and entries. Now while it's true that XP ignores registry entries that are incorrectly entered or written or have invalid associations the mere act of checking leads one to believe that slow down can be the result of a registry full of obsolete entries. I know the eXPerts will claim this is just microseconds but then they all add up to seconds don't they. The best that I have had and still use is the old JV16 Power Tools. You can still get the old free one on some sites. For just the registry cleaner from the tools do and internet search for RegCleaner. }:~)
    --
    There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.

    "TheBFG" wrote:

    > I'm pretty new to XP.
    > I hesitate to touch the registry but I have beenadvised it is good to clean it up sometimes. Is that correct? If so,
    > I want to get a registry cleaner that works well and is easy to use for a beginner.
    > Does anyone know a useful utility to do this?
    > I checked on Google but there are so many.
    > Any advice appreciated. If you know a good free version that would be great.
    > Thanks

    It is not necessary to use a registry cleaner with Windows XP.
    However, System Mechanic (www.iolo.com) is an excellent
    utility program that includes a relatively safe registry cleaner
    and optimizer. It includes a registry backup just in case something
    goes amiss. You can try it out free for 30 days.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "TheBFG" <TheBFG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    | I'm pretty new to XP.
    | I hesitate to touch the registry but I have beenadvised it is good to clean it up sometimes. Is that
    correct? If so,
    | I want to get a registry cleaner that works well and is easy to use for a beginner.
    | Does anyone know a useful utility to do this?
    | I checked on Google but there are so many.
    | Any advice appreciated. If you know a good free version that would be great.
    | Thanks

    Personally, I don't use any, and never have. They all leave something to be desired, in my opinion. However, if you do decide on one, make sure you know how to use its backup and restore features.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "TheBFG" <TheBFG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F72CAC3-C428-45CB-9625-A5AABC430DEB@microsoft.com...
    > I'm pretty new to XP.
    > I hesitate to touch the registry but I have beenadvised it is good to clean it up sometimes. Is that correct? If so,
    > I want to get a registry cleaner that works well and is easy to use for a beginner.
    > Does anyone know a useful utility to do this?
    > I checked on Google but there are so many.
    > Any advice appreciated. If you know a good free version that would be great.
    > Thanks

    The registry may grow significantly if you add and install programs and
    don't uninstall them by 'Add/Remove Programs' facility in the Control Panel.
    Even so, I very mach doubt if there is any significant increase in start
    time due to Registry 'junk'. There certainly appears to be a pschological
    benefit from keeping the Registry lean and mean but probably not a practical
    benefit. Each may way for themselves the advantages, real or imaginary,
    against the risks.

    "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote

    > The registry may grow significantly if you add and install programs and
    > don't uninstall them by 'Add/Remove Programs' facility in the Control
    Panel.
    > Even so, I very mach doubt if there is any significant increase in start
    > time due to Registry 'junk'. There certainly appears to be a pschological
    > benefit from keeping the Registry lean and mean but probably not a
    practical
    > benefit. Each may way [did you mean to type "weigh"?] for themselves the
    advantages, real or imaginary,
    > against the risks.

    The phrase "anal retention" comes to mind.

    Alias

    > "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote

    > > Both Doug and Carey are mistaken in my opinion. If you do a lot of
    > installing\uninstalling and testing of apps then the registry gets bogged
    > down with useless information and entries. Now while it's true that XP
    > ignores registry entries that are incorrectly entered or written or have
    > invalid associations the mere act of checking leads one to believe that
    slow
    > down can be the result of a registry full of obsolete entries. I know the
    > eXPerts will claim this is just microseconds but then they all add up to
    > seconds don't they. The best that I have had and still use is the old JV16
    > Power Tools. You can still get the old free one on some sites. For just
    the
    > registry cleaner from the tools do and internet search for
    RegCleaner. }:~)
    > > --
    > > There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and
    > those that can't.
    > >

    > > "TheBFG" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm pretty new to XP.
    > > > I hesitate to touch the registry but I have beenadvised it is good to
    > clean it up sometimes. Is that correct? If so,
    > > > I want to get a registry cleaner that works well and is easy to use
    for
    > a beginner.
    > > > Does anyone know a useful utility to do this?
    > > > I checked on Google but there are so many.
    > > > Any advice appreciated. If you know a good free version that would be
    > great.
    > > > Thanks

    Thanks to all for the advice.
    I'll do some more checking about this.

    "Alias" wrote:

    > "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote
    >
    > > The registry may grow significantly if you add and install programs and
    > > don't uninstall them by 'Add/Remove Programs' facility in the Control
    > Panel.
    > > Even so, I very mach doubt if there is any significant increase in start
    > > time due to Registry 'junk'. There certainly appears to be a pschological
    > > benefit from keeping the Registry lean and mean but probably not a
    > practical
    > > benefit. Each may way [did you mean to type "weigh"?] for themselves the
    > advantages, real or imaginary,
    > > against the risks.
    >
    > The phrase "anal retention" comes to mind.
    >
    > Alias
    > >

    > > "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote
    >
    > > > Both Doug and Carey are mistaken in my opinion. If you do a lot of
    > > installing\uninstalling and testing of apps then the registry gets bogged
    > > down with useless information and entries. Now while it's true that XP
    > > ignores registry entries that are incorrectly entered or written or have
    > > invalid associations the mere act of checking leads one to believe that
    > slow
    > > down can be the result of a registry full of obsolete entries. I know the
    > > eXPerts will claim this is just microseconds but then they all add up to
    > > seconds don't they. The best that I have had and still use is the old JV16
    > > Power Tools. You can still get the old free one on some sites. For just
    > the
    > > registry cleaner from the tools do and internet search for
    > RegCleaner. }:~)
    > > > --
    > > > There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and
    > > those that can't.

    > > clean it up sometimes. Is that correct? If so,
    > for
    > > a beginner.
    > > great.

    "Alias" <maskedandanonymous@aka.com> wrote in message

    Or maybe the phrase "anal retentive?" At least get it right if you're trying
    to be clever.

    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AnalRetentive

    "Box134" <box134@wooky.invalid> wrote

    > "Alias" <maskedandanonymous@aka.com> wrote in message
    >
    > Or maybe the phrase "anal retentive?" At least get it right if you're
    trying
    > to be clever.
    >
    > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AnalRetentive
    >

    > > The phrase "anal retention" comes to mind.
    > >
    > > Alias

    I can see you haven't studied English grammar. An *anal retentive* person
    suffers from *anal retention*. An *attentive* person pays *attention*.

    Class over, now go out and play.

    Alias

    You have a great talent for tortured logic and non sequiturs. Now go look it
    up.

    > I can see you haven't studied English grammar. An *anal retentive* person
    > suffers from *anal retention*. An *attentive* person pays *attention*.
    >
    > Class over, now go out and play.
    >
    > Alias

Registry Cleaner Microsoft Windows XP