Dual Analog Dialup Question

UsHeR_564

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
I have 5 computers on my LAN and I only have analog dialup available. I purchased two US Robotics 5610a PCI modems and installed them in an old Dell 400 Celeron computer I have just to use it as an Internet Gateway. My ISP has my service bound using multilink PPP and when I setup to dial both lines at once I can connect at around 100kbps. The problem I have is I want to be able to dial up only one line and have the second line only come in when it is needed. Windows XP Pro running on that computer refused to do this even though that feature is built into it? I've tried every setting available, even 1%load for 10 seconds and it still will not dial up the second line? I really need to get this configured to work properly. Does anyone have an idea as to why the "dial on demand" feature in Windows XP is not working?

Thanks,

Ken

"You can run, but your punk ass will only die tired!" www.ftrdesign.com/nocasetoo

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i dont think you can get it to do it automaticaly but you should be able to set up a second connection profile to use a single modem. then when you need more speed disconnect the single and dial up with the double. man, i havent heard of any one shotguning with two modems in a looooong time.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring valve security module!

UsHeR_564

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
I sent you a reply message from my Email account. Don't know if you will get it or not.

You say it won't do this but why is that feature built into Windows XP? If you have the time one day, install two modems in a computer with WinXP then go to that connection properties and look to see what I'm talking about. I used this feature with an Eicon Diva Pro ISDN modem and it worked with ISDN but will not work with analog dialup, on two different computers. I've also tried this with my Asus CUSL2-C board with 1GHz PIII and get the same problem, no dial on demand. Also used different modems, same crap. Someone has to have an answer to this problem. I'll find them sooner or later!

Thanks,

UsHeR_564 on Quake2 Weapons of Destruction servers

"You can run, but your punk ass will only die tired!" www.ftrdesign.com/nocasetoo