KEY Code

How do you find the Key Code on the CD, my XP does not have it anywhere on the box or sleave.
8 answers Last reply
More about code

    Go to www.belarc.com and get The Belarc Advisor; it will lis all key codes
    and PIDs.

    "eagle003_98" <eagle003_98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do you find the Key Code on the CD, my XP does not have it anywhere on
    the box or sleave.

    The Product Key is not found on the Windows XP CD.
    Look all over your computer case for the 25-character
    Product Key if Windows XP was preinstalled on it.

    If your computer is still operational:

    Retrieve your Windows XP CD key
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/ViewKeyXP.htm

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    If your computer is not operational:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "eagle003_98" <eagle003_98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    | How do you find the Key Code on the CD, my XP does not have it anywhere on the box or sleave.

    Where did you purchase it? It should be affixed on the side of your PC -- if
    you purchased the computer with Windows already installed (OEM).

    --
    Best of luck!

    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
    Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

    "eagle003_98" <eagle003_98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do you find the Key Code on the CD, my XP does not have it anywhere on
    the box or sleave.

    Greetings --

    The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
    installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
    affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
    manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
    the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
    a new license.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "eagle003_98" <eagle003_98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do you find the Key Code on the CD, my XP does not have it
    anywhere on the box or sleave.

    This is a new CD of WIN XP PRO , it has not been installed on the computer yet because I do not have the Key Code. I know that microsoft incodes the number somewhere in the files on the CD for verifacation of the CD. How can it be found ?

    > This is a new CD of WIN XP PRO , it has not been installed on the computer
    > yet because I do not have the Key Code. I know that microsoft incodes the
    > number somewhere in the files on the CD for verifacation of the CD. How
    > can it be found ?

    The Product Activation key is NOT encoded on the CD (Product Activation does
    not work that way).
    If you bought only a CD that did not come with a Certificate of Authenticity
    and a Product Activation code then you may have only bought a Media pack -
    which just contains the CD for those that already have multiple licenses.
    Check
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/default.mspx
    to see if you really bought a genuine CD.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "eagle003_98" <eagle00398@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This is a new CD of WIN XP PRO , it has not been installed on the computer
    > yet because I do not have the Key Code. I know that microsoft incodes the
    > number somewhere in the files on the CD for verifacation of the CD. How
    > can it be found ?
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings --
    >>
    >> The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    >> installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    >> that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
    >> installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
    >> affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.
    >>
    >> To recover a lost Product Key:
    >>
    >> If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    >> Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    >> Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    >> haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    >> of the drive image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product
    >> Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    >> be -- used for a re-installation.)
    >>
    >> If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:
    >>
    >> How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246
    >>
    >> If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
    >> manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
    >> the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
    >> a new license.
    >>

    >> Bruce Chambers
    >> --
    >> Help us help you:
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    >> having both at once. - RAH
    >>

    >> "eagle003_98" <eagle003_98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How do you find the Key Code on the CD, my XP does not have it
    >> anywhere on the box or sleave.

    Greetings --

    No, the Product Key isn't anywhere on the CD, in any form. After
    all, that would be rather like storing your house keys in the lock,
    wouldn't it?

    But then, since it's a brand new CD, it should have come with the
    Product Key, assuming it's legitimate. Contact whomever you purchased
    it from.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "eagle003_98" <eagle00398@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This is a new CD of WIN XP PRO , it has not been installed on the
    computer yet because I do not have the Key Code. I know that
    microsoft incodes the number somewhere in the files on the CD for
    verifacation of the CD. How can it be found ?

    Since you have the original cd you can contact Microsoft
    Customer service at 1-800-936-5700 24/7. They can provide
    you with a new product key for retail or oem cd's
    providing you still have the original cd.

    Tan.

    wrote in message
    >> This is a new CD of WIN XP PRO , it has not been
    installed on the
    >computer yet because I do not have the Key Code. I know
    that
    >microsoft incodes the number somewhere in the files on
    the CD for
    >verifacation of the CD. How can it be found ?
    >>

    >.

Windows XP CD-Rom Microsoft