fax console interferes with modem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

After sending some faxes using XP's fax console, I found I couldn't use
the modem with another app (transmitting data to a remote server). The
app couldn't recognize it. I then saw that Task Mgr showed <fxssvc.exe>
still in use after shutting down the console. Only after a complete
reboot did the <fxssvc.exe> go away and I was able to use the modem with
the other app.

Is this .exe file supposed to remain following the use of the fax
console? If so, how do I prevent it from lingering so that it prevents
the modem from being used by other apps?

--
Paul R
-------------------------------
For email reply, please remove 195
3 answers Last reply
More about console interferes modem
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    fxccvc.exe normally remains

    The problem could with your modem driver - check for updates for it.

    John Allen

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 18:33:17 GMT, Paul R <195prosete@195earthlink.com>
    wrote:

    >After sending some faxes using XP's fax console, I found I couldn't use
    >the modem with another app (transmitting data to a remote server). The
    >app couldn't recognize it. I then saw that Task Mgr showed <fxssvc.exe>
    >still in use after shutting down the console. Only after a complete
    >reboot did the <fxssvc.exe> go away and I was able to use the modem with
    >the other app.
    >
    >Is this .exe file supposed to remain following the use of the fax
    >console? If so, how do I prevent it from lingering so that it prevents
    >the modem from being used by other apps?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Well, I had already done that and there are no more recent versions than
    the one I already have. It's an Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem v2.1.37.8
    (3/2/2004).

    John A wrote:
    > fxccvc.exe normally remains
    >
    > The problem could with your modem driver - check for updates for it.
    >
    > John Allen
    >
    >
    --
    Paul R
    -------------------------------
    For email reply, please remove 195
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    It should work. A couple of suggestions:

    1. After faxing, can you then connect to the internet? If so, then
    the problem may be with the software you are using to directly connect
    to the other computer.

    2. Maybe third party firewall interfering

    John Allen

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:21:39 GMT, Paul R <195prosete@195earthlink.com>
    wrote:

    >Well, I had already done that and there are no more recent versions than
    >the one I already have. It's an Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem v2.1.37.8
    >(3/2/2004).
    >
    >John A wrote:
    >> fxccvc.exe normally remains
    >>
    >> The problem could with your modem driver - check for updates for it.
    >>
    >> John Allen
    >>
    >>
Ask a new question

Read More

Fax Modem Consoles Windows XP