Does weather effect Wifi in the home ?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 4, 2004 8:42:33 PM

Just wondering...

More about : weather effect wifi home

August 4, 2004 8:42:34 PM

"Meatwad" <hn195@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:2nd01rFv7ctuU1@uni-berlin.de...
> Just wondering...

No, but it may affect it. HTH.

--
frosty
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 4, 2004 8:50:39 PM

No.
Range is short, 2.4Ghz frequencies quite high and radio transmission uses
digital spread spectrum. Even if a glitch can get through because of a *big*
lithning close by, the packet will be retransmitted, you won't notice a
difference. (Unless the lightning blows up your system :)
2.4GhZ cordless phone and microwave ovens are more effective interference
generators.

Moist

"Meatwad" <hn195@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Just wondering...

a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 2:31:48 AM

In message <z_bQc.1375$T5.75411@weber.videotron.net>, Moist
<moist@msn.com> writes
>No.
>Range is short, 2.4Ghz frequencies quite high and radio transmission uses
>digital spread spectrum. Even if a glitch can get through because of a *big*
>lithning close by, the packet will be retransmitted, you won't notice a
>difference. (Unless the lightning blows up your system :)
>2.4GhZ cordless phone and microwave ovens are more effective interference
>generators.

I would have said the same, but today there was a thunderstorm around
here, and the wifi connection to my laptop failed only once, just at the
time that there was a loud thunderclap. From the flash-sound interval
it wasn't all that close, maybe 1 km away, but clearly it generated
enough white noise all over the RF band to stop my wifi connection
working for a second or two. I had to reopen the connections, and
things were ok afterwards.

--
Clive Page
Anonymous

"Clive Page" <junk@page.demon.co.uk> a écrit dans le message de
> In message <z_bQc.1375$T5.75411@weber.videotron.net>, Moist
> <moist@msn.com> writes
> >No.
> >Range is short, 2.4Ghz frequencies quite high and radio transmission uses
> >digital spread spectrum. Even if a glitch can get through because of a
*big*
> >lithning close by, the packet will be retransmitted, you won't notice a
> >difference. (Unless the lightning blows up your system :)
> >2.4GhZ cordless phone and microwave ovens are more effective interference
> >generators.
>
> I would have said the same, but today there was a thunderstorm around
> here, and the wifi connection to my laptop failed only once, just at the
> time that there was a loud thunderclap. From the flash-sound interval
> it wasn't all that close, maybe 1 km away, but clearly it generated
> enough white noise all over the RF band to stop my wifi connection
> working for a second or two. I had to reopen the connections, and
> things were ok afterwards.
>
> --
> Clive Page

Interesting!
The interference was bad enough to interrupt our connection. Mmmmh!
Did you get other WiFi interruptions during that period? I assume it was
not the only lightning during that period.
And what was the distance between your access point and your laptop?

I may have given a incorrect answer to the first post afterall :(

Moist
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 3:50:21 AM

I have the same feeling than Clive.

In summer, flow are higher and ping are less large because of the moisture
of the air :(
moreover, wind a un big effect because that made tremble the antennas :(

ok, I must improve my English ;)

have fun
Thomas (FR)

"Clive Page" <junk@page.demon.co.uk> a écrit dans le message de news:
JYJwQzAEXVEBJw2m@page.demon.co.uk...
> In message <z_bQc.1375$T5.75411@weber.videotron.net>, Moist
> <moist@msn.com> writes
> >No.
> >Range is short, 2.4Ghz frequencies quite high and radio transmission uses
> >digital spread spectrum. Even if a glitch can get through because of a
*big*
> >lithning close by, the packet will be retransmitted, you won't notice a
> >difference. (Unless the lightning blows up your system :)
> >2.4GhZ cordless phone and microwave ovens are more effective interference
> >generators.
>
> I would have said the same, but today there was a thunderstorm around
> here, and the wifi connection to my laptop failed only once, just at the
> time that there was a loud thunderclap. From the flash-sound interval
> it wasn't all that close, maybe 1 km away, but clearly it generated
> enough white noise all over the RF band to stop my wifi connection
> working for a second or two. I had to reopen the connections, and
> things were ok afterwards.
>
> --
> Clive Page
August 5, 2004 3:50:22 AM

"Thoomas" <gassilloud@hotmail.com> wrote in news:41115a1d$0$15275
$636a15ce@news.free.fr:

> moreover, wind a un big effect because that made tremble the antennas :(

If wind is making the antennas in your home tremble, you need to move. Or
close the windows.

a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 7:52:44 PM

My 802.11b outdoor camera seems to have no problem, even in severe
thunderstorms, as long as the power stays on. Its about 125' from an
18DBi directional antenna in my attic.

Meatwad wrote:
> Just wondering...

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 9:22:00 PM

Yes it can, massive farting inside a house has been known
to effect Wifi.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 7, 2004 3:07:32 AM

In message <AgdQc.157$_i5.7391@wagner.videotron.net>, Moist
<moist@msn.com> writes
>The interference was bad enough to interrupt our connection. Mmmmh!
>Did you get other WiFi interruptions during that period? I assume it was
>not the only lightning during that period.

I only got one interruption that I noticed that day, but not much
thunder either.

But yesterday there was again a thunderstorm not far away. My ssh
connection to a machine at work dropped, and I wondered if that was
again the storm as it had got quite dark: and then about 5 seconds
later I heard a moderately loud roll of thunder. I did not see the
flash, but guess that the it had roughly coincided with the loss of
signal (5 secs = 1 mile in old money, 1.6 km). So that's two cases. I
think that's more than a coincidence. Lightning clearly causes
interference to radio and TV signals across all bands, so it's not
surprising that it should interrupt wifi also.

>And what was the distance between your access point and your laptop?

I was at the far end of the house, through a couple of walls from the
access point. Signal strength is usually "low", but I mostly get full
bandwidth of 11 Mb/s.

--
Clive Page
Anonymous

No not reaaly chance of wheather effecting Wifi in home is 1/1000

ramsey
www.a2bcomputers.com

!