Sign in with
Your question

Toms Hardware Games Coverage

Last response: in Video Games
June 19, 2007 10:14:14 PM

Tom's Hardware through TwitchGuru is going to cover more games in the next few months.

So, lets say, you had a pile of Tom's Hardware class computers lying around. What would you play on it? Or see on it.

If I don't hear a sufficent response, I'm going to put desperate housewives, on one of the quad cores.

I'm completely serious.
June 19, 2007 11:12:29 PM

Guys, he's not kidding. He really does have a copy of Desperate Housewives for the PC. I've seen sitting on his desk, right next to the overclocked bacon sandwich...

Seriously, ideas and nominations are welcomed.
June 20, 2007 10:07:59 AM

I would like Colin Mcrae Dirt, Bioshock, Crysis, The Witcher, Clive Barkers Jericho, Enemy Territory Quake Wars, HL2 Ep2, World in Conflict, GRAW2, COD4.... to name a few; oh and of course Desperate Housewives might be interesting..
Related resources
June 20, 2007 3:34:26 PM

Quote:
If I don't hear a sufficent response, I'm going to put desperate housewives, on one of the quad cores.

Please, no any thing but that 8O

Definitly Crysis, HL2 Ep2, GRAW2, COD4
June 20, 2007 5:14:34 PM

On a serious note, Housewives aside, I'm curious to see how much interest, if any, there is in console games (Wii, PS3, 360). Obviously THG is much more of a PC game crowd but if there's enough interest then we'll try to devote more resources to console titles. As it stands now, PC titles will make up the majority of the reviews going forward.
June 20, 2007 5:47:28 PM

I'm definately interested in THG getting more involved in console gaming. I've been a long time PC gamer until recently when my pc broke, so I split a PS3 with my bro. I must say I feel I have missed out on some great games in my time bc I didn't take a second look at anything that wasn't on the PC.

I definately vote for console games.
June 21, 2007 4:12:01 AM

Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal Portal

Could you please review Portal? I may actually get off my backside and upgrade for this game.
June 21, 2007 10:17:24 AM

This is good news, toms hardware has not been the best website when it comes to games which is a surprise in a way since it is gaming that really keeps the hardware market alive. I think even if you clean up the forum a bit, get rid of all these daft sections in the forum. Then you might be on to a more popular forum to talk about gaming as well.

I think you need to concentrate on PC gaming just now and not to try to spread your bread too thin with the resources you have. If you try to hard to attract everyone you will end up not being as fully featured in any one area and will end up turning people off.

Just my 2 pennies

www.tomsgamingware.com

www.tomsgaming.com
June 21, 2007 10:24:05 AM

I've seen the future. Apparently we all speak French. But anyways, look top-left on the Best of Media site. Eerie, eh?

Things are interesting at the moment... For my two cents (and how it relates to the content I'll have produced) I'm thinking more PC and less consoles. For one the scatter shot effect doesn't work, and secondly THGs audience comes from the PC. Consoles? Sure, but they'll be later on. For now we're talking 95% PC gaming content.

And no Desperate Housewives, incidentally.
June 21, 2007 1:08:29 PM

I'd be interested in some more console coverage particularly for games like Force Unleashed and others that won't be on PC too.
June 21, 2007 4:51:16 PM

Aw, you guys ruined the surprise. Thanks a lot, Aaron.

Quote:
I've seen the future. Apparently we all speak French. But anyways, look top-left on the Best of Media site. Eerie, eh?

We're two steps ahead of you, Cafuddled. For once.

As Aaron pointed out, big changes are coming, including the name of site, which I wasn't always crazy about. And yes, it's looking like the vast majority of the content will be coming from the PC, primarily because this is a PC hardware audience but also because a couple of the console companies don't give a flying F about us and treat us like we're a freakin' leper colony. Which we're not.

Anyway, Caffudled brought up another thing we're working on: the Forumz. Any ideas on how to reorg the games section? Personally, I think there are only needs tot be a few sub-categories. It's way too busy right now.
June 21, 2007 5:23:59 PM

The PROBLEM with pc gaming in general is there is a lot more money in console games. As far as the gaming crowd goes PCers are a minority. Why would a company want to put a lot of time and money into pc games when they can make the same game for a console cheaper, easier, and with more market share right out of the gate? That's not to say there haven't been some really really sucessful PC games, but you have to admit that it makes more sense for a company to make console games over pc games.
June 21, 2007 5:26:46 PM

As a marketing professional, my advice is that you stick to PC gaming, since Tom's has always been a PC site supported by PC enthusiasts. This is your brand identity and this is what has lifted your site above all the other "let's-be-everything-to-everyone" sites. There are so few sites dedicated to PC gaming only, so this separates you from most others on the internet. And besides, your audience is mostly PC folks and your advertisers know that. By creating a tighter niche, you've created opportunities for advertisers to reach a specific market segment - a definite attraction to advertisers.

Use the shotgun approach, and not only will most of the audience not care about the other material, advertisers will be left wondering what segment of the market they're going to reach and this becomes much less attractive. That's why magazines and radio stations have niche audiences they cater to. By the way, that's why there are magazines strictly for console gamers, others for both, and one or two strictly for PC gamers.
June 21, 2007 5:37:06 PM

Thanks for the advice, PongRules. Maybe we should put you on the payroll and have you lend a hand with marketing...

But seriously, I agree with you. PC games has a higher appeal to the audience and a natural synergy with THG, so that's where most of the focus will be.
June 21, 2007 6:27:14 PM

I'd be glad to be on your payroll. :lol:  But I'm sure you have all the marketing help you need. Specialize in something and become the best at it, then defend your brand with all your might. Comes from the book, "From Good to Great" from author Jim Collins - a good, no - great read. :lol: 
June 21, 2007 7:37:28 PM

Nothing piises me off more than having to wade through a bunch of console game reviews to find the PC ones.There is already enough phones,cars and other non-computer related content on the site.No need to water it down more.
June 21, 2007 11:35:41 PM

Many of the ones above, and Hellgate London.
June 22, 2007 2:37:17 PM

Amen to that. It's nice to have a site you can come to knowing it's going to have quality content regarding PC's and PC gaming. Stay true to your roots, THG!
June 22, 2007 6:50:36 PM

Quote:
Aw, you guys ruined the surprise. Thanks a lot, Aaron.

Just my 2 pennies
www.tomsgamingware.com
www.tomsgaming.com

Quote:

We're two steps ahead of you, Cafuddled. For once.

As Aaron pointed out, big changes are coming, including the name of site, which I wasn't always crazy about. And yes, it's looking like the vast majority of the content will be coming from the PC, primarily because this is a PC hardware audience but also because a couple of the console companies don't give a flying F about us and treat us like we're a freakin' leper colony. Which we're not.

Anyway, Caffudled brought up another thing we're working on: the Forumz. Any ideas on how to reorg the games section? Personally, I think there are only needs tot be a few sub-categories. It's way too busy right now.

I would not read too much into the French issue at this point. Things are still being sorted out.

It is my intent to do help make the best website I am capable of, regardless of ownership.

My comment was simply based on the fact that I'm sitting in a room. I've got The Quadfather at one end of the table and this monstrosity, which resembles a Jawa sandcrawler at the other.

We just shipped out two "laptops" that use desktop processors to our remote testers, that are covered by NDA's I think, so I can't say too much about them, other than that the heat alone would fry my leg hairs off if I actualy used them in my lap.

Every single one of these computers cost at least twice as much as my car. The XPS, when running at full speed sounds more powerful as well.

Once things are more settled I would be shocked and awed if we got instructions that said "Forget all that, We're doing a month on nothing but Pokemon!"

A caveat: I'm not on the editorial side, so I'm not involved in the decision making process.

I did buy myself a copy of "Curling 2, Take- Out Weight". I'm pretty sure that I've got an "odd" sense of taste that does not reflect the taste of your average Tom's reader. I'd like to also note that almost every single game mentioned doesn't exist in a reviewable state.
June 23, 2007 6:27:10 PM

Pwetty please don't make me click past an ad page :?
June 24, 2007 6:08:29 PM

Hi folks!

Well I'm mostly a niche player: historical strategy games like Total War series or Paradox's stuff like Hearts of Iron. But I'm interested in a few RPGs. Also a few Space Exploration games if they don't put me to sleep with a steep learning curve and glacial pace. I also tend to read reviews of PC games just in case something new comes along that might interest me.
June 26, 2007 4:46:37 AM

F.E.A.R
Age of Conan
Crysis
Stalker
Command and Conquer 3
Medieval 2 Total War
Oblivion
!