Looking for a good combat flight sim

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I'm interested in picking up a combat flight sim and I was wondering if anyone could help me pick a good one.

The last flight sim I had was Janes USNF 97 and I'd actually like one in the same vein, lots of planes, mission generator, not very serious on the physics but not a purely arcade model either, built in (or easily available) cheats for when I want to go nuts and load up every hardpoint on my Flanker (even the wingtip ones) with 2000 pound bombs to level the entire map. I'd like a major graphics upgrade from USNF 97 (else I'd just find a copy of that) and hardware requirements aren't really an issue.

So anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
LOMAC (Lock-on Modern Air Combat).. Falcon 4.0 (updated version).

These two are probably the best around at the mo, LOMAC still looks awesome.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Yeah Lock On would be my vote as well..... It's one of those... fly close to the earth, approaching target, press 50 buttons and FIRE!!!!! what do you mean I passed the target 10 minutes ago??? Turn around and repeat :) Nah seriously it's good craic but it's a touch short on flyable aircraft really.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Nah seriously it's good craic but it's a touch short on flyable aircraft really.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Does Falcon 4.0 have mods that give more flyable planes or is it completely stuck with just the Falcon?

EDIT: Also does Lock On have a mission generator? I know it has an editor but does it have something where I can just plug in "I want to fight 2 F-16's starting at 20 miles separation at low altitude in a hilly area" and have it drop me straight in?

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
I think falcon 4.0 is just limited to the falcon.

LOMAC does have a quickstart option which allows you to generate custom missions.

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004
Hi Fred

If your liking WWII flight sims, ubisoft's IL-2 1946 is impossiable to beat.

You can fly anything from WW2 from 1939 - 46 (the game ventures that WW2 lasted another year, so primitive jets are added.

Has great single player missions, online, and careers so you can see how long you and ME 109 can make it on the russian front, its a blast!

You can tweak the flight settings from nOOb to full-on expert.

Read about here, http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=5163

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Hi Fred

If your liking WWII flight sims, ubisoft's IL-2 1946 is impossiable to beat.

You can fly anything from WW2 from 1939 - 46 (the game ventures that WW2 lasted another year, so primitive jets are added.

Has great single player missions, online, and careers so you can see how long you and ME 109 can make it on the russian front, its a blast!

You can tweak the flight settings from nOOb to full-on expert.

Read about here, http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=5163

Ahem I like this game but I would like to mention that the single player is a bit shit to be fair. This game is way more fun if you get all the add on packs and hop online and hoefully fight other guys of similar skills as you. In terms of flight models and graphics etc then IL is superb.

TRENDING THREADS