I figured it out - others may want to know

Below I posted about not being able to get into my LAN from the internet,
and I received some really good suggestions. However, it turned out to be a
weird problem that I still don't fully understand: My Dlink router was
reporting the wrong WAN address. I discovered this after getting so fed up
with trying to make the sitatuation work that I swapped out the Dlink for a
Netgear RP614 that I'd had on the shelf. When I got into Settings, I saw
that the WAN IP address was completely different than that listed by the
Dlink. So I forwarded port 80 to my webcam/web server and called a friend.
I had him enter the WAN address reported by the Netgear into his browser,
and whamo, he was in.
Why the Dlink still shows the WAN address incorrectly is beyond me. Any
ideas?

jakesnake

"jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message

> Below I posted about not being able to get into my LAN from the internet,
> and I received some really good suggestions. However, it turned out to be
> weird problem that I still don't fully understand: My Dlink router was
> reporting the wrong WAN address. I discovered this after getting so fed
up
> with trying to make the sitatuation work that I swapped out the Dlink for
> Netgear RP614 that I'd had on the shelf. When I got into Settings, I saw
> that the WAN IP address was completely different than that listed by the
> Dlink. So I forwarded port 80 to my webcam/web server and called a
friend.
> I had him enter the WAN address reported by the Netgear into his browser,
> and whamo, he was in.
> Why the Dlink still shows the WAN address incorrectly is beyond me. Any
> ideas?

The Dlink and the Netgear routers each have different MAC addresses on their
WAN ports, and so it's not surprising that each was assigned a different IP
address by the ISP: most ISP's "stick" an IP address to each new MAC address
that connects, both for ease of maintenance and to aid in fighting spam.

The Dlink is probably set for "DMZ" mode on port 80, and the Netgear isn't.

FWIW. YMMV.

William
(Filter noise out of my address for direct replies)

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 03:10:45 GMT, "jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com>
wrote:

>Below I posted about not being able to get into my LAN from the internet,
>and I received some really good suggestions. However, it turned out to be a
>weird problem that I still don't fully understand: My Dlink router was
>reporting the wrong WAN address. I discovered this after getting so fed up
>with trying to make the sitatuation work that I swapped out the Dlink for a
>Netgear RP614 that I'd had on the shelf. When I got into Settings, I saw
>that the WAN IP address was completely different than that listed by the
>Dlink. So I forwarded port 80 to my webcam/web server and called a friend.
>I had him enter the WAN address reported by the Netgear into his browser,
>and whamo, he was in.
>Why the Dlink still shows the WAN address incorrectly is beyond me. Any
>ideas?

is your WAN address static or dynamic ?

TRENDING THREADS