Computer Problems...Motherboard??

heatus

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2002
okay i'm having problems with my computer. It freezes up in the cmos and in windows. I've got a Athlon 800 with an epox EP-7KXA motherboard. I formatted the hdd and now I cant install winXP or win98 both installs freeze up. I checked the RAM and video. I've checked the IDE cables. I've checked nearly everything. All thats really left is the motherboard and the CPU. But the strange thing is that it will work in dos and i spent a few hours last night copying stuff off the hdd on to another without it crashing. Any ideas what it sounds like and do you think i should buy a new motherboard?

heatus

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2002
it's not ram i got a stick of sdram off a friend which he had in his linux box and when i went in to the cmos and it still hangs

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I used to have one of these boards w/ a 900 athlon, and a friend of mine still has one. Try taking the memory settings down to 100 mhz. The settings for 133mhz ram can make the thing not boot into windows if the ram is mixed. Check your 100/133mhz spread spectum settings, if they are enabled, bump them down to off.
Are you overclocking? if so, try stock settings.

what kind of power suppy do you have ?
Do you set the power by dip switches or allow it to automaticly do it (I belive that means all switches are off, but check the manual first)

Did you try the cmos reset jumper?

Last but not least, turn PNP Operating System off.
Mine wouldnt boot into 98 with that on.

You dont have an <b>ANY</b> key? Your keyboard must not be Windows XP certified...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lonemagi on 09/24/02 09:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

heatus

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2002
yeah the cpu isn't over heating it always sits on an average of about 30 degrees. Since the motherboard is a bit stuffed anyway (some of the capasitators have blown on it) may be the cause of the prob? i dunno but I found a new Asus m/b on ebay that i have ordered. I have asked many people and its come down to the m/b. Thanks everybody for your help i reckon this should sort it out.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Blowing a capasitor will usualy harm elactronic equipment in some form or fashion.

You dont have an <b>ANY</b> key? Your keyboard must not be Windows XP certified...