disk partitions

I received a new computer today and will shortily be setting it up,
transfering files etc. What are the benefits of partitioning the C Drive
into three parts (programs, data, pictures)? I am considering this to
simplify backups.

If I DO create a second and / or third partition is any data lost on the
original partitition?
4 answers Last reply
More about disk partitions

    Yes, you will lose all your programs, using the XP CD Install setup.

    You need to acquire a 3rd party Partition Manager, such as BootIt NG,
    Partition Magic, or Norton's Ghost.
    You can create, or delete Partitions on the fly without losing programs.

    "Michael M" <Michael M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:353DE6E7-3E61-4E93-BEA7-6CBC434B484A@microsoft.com...
    > I received a new computer today and will shortily be setting it up,
    > transfering files etc. What are the benefits of partitioning the C Drive
    > into three parts (programs, data, pictures)? I am considering this to
    > simplify backups.
    >
    > If I DO create a second and / or third partition is any data lost on the
    > original partitition?

    The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
    and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to purchase and use
    a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

    The alternative is to perform a "clean install" of Windows XP:

    How to Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941&Product=winxp

    Clean Install Windows XP

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Michael" wrote:

    | I received a new computer today and will shortily be setting it up,
    | transfering files etc. What are the benefits of partitioning the C Drive
    | into three parts (programs, data, pictures)? I am considering this to
    | simplify backups.
    |
    | If I DO create a second and / or third partition is any data lost on the
    | original partitition?

    If you start out with bare drive, XP setup will give you an option of how
    hard drive space/area to use. This will create the intial "C:" partition.
    It will carry you through the windows installation, and registration
    procedures. I suggest using NTFS instead of FAT32.

    Any remaining hard drive area can be used to create the additional
    partition(s) that you want. It can be done within an XP environment with
    its own tools.

    Data is lost from a hard drive for different reasons. The first being is
    the file is written to an area that has become unusable. This will not
    affect any other partition. The next is that the file system becomes
    damaged or the partition boot information is damaged, so files on that
    partition may become accessible. This does not affect other partitions.
    Finally, the master boot record which contains the location information of
    the partitions may become damaged. This may include all partition
    locations, and will thus affect and cause loss of all file access on any
    partition. Am indicating that there is not a yes or no answer to your last
    question.
    "Michael M" <Michael M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I received a new computer today and will shortily be setting it up,
    > transfering files etc. What are the benefits of partitioning the C Drive
    > into three parts (programs, data, pictures)? I am considering this to
    > simplify backups.
    >
    > If I DO create a second and / or third partition is any data lost on the
    > original partitition?

    And just a note, BootIt Next Generation, www.bootitng.com is half the price of Partition Magic, and my personal choice.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Michael M" <Michael M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:353DE6E7-3E61-4E93-BEA7-6CBC434B484A@microsoft.com...
    >I received a new computer today and will shortily be setting it up,
    > transfering files etc. What are the benefits of partitioning the C Drive
    > into three parts (programs, data, pictures)? I am considering this to
    > simplify backups.
    >
    > If I DO create a second and / or third partition is any data lost on the
    > original partitition?

Microsoft Windows XP