Portal: A Breath of fresh air for FPS's

wouse101

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
I just seen this video for portal from another post (thanks Lordaardvark2):

Portal Video

Ingenious concept, and i think I'll be getting my copy!! :D

I think this is just what FPS's need, a new platform based on puzzle games.

Now I know most of you could argue that puzzle are ALREADY inherent in in current FPS's game (HL2 for example requires a bit of noggin scratching from time to time)

For me, I've been playing FPS's since Ultimate Doom and Wolfenstien. Things are geting kinda samey. Maybe cos I've been loyal to this genre for too long.

Don't get me wrong, its still my favorite genre, but I still find that I can adapt tactics from the base game I started from.(Doom)

The only real tasks you end up coming up against most of the time are tougher enemies; these can be dispatched with clean head shots (or any other soft points), good use of cover and fast reactions.

From what I've seen with portal, the environment is sort of like your enemy, but yet requires the same kind of thinking as you would if you were playing Lemmings for example.

But I don't think there has ever been an FPS's solely based on a puzzle platform.......has there?

Anyway I'm looking forward to getting to grips.........as soon as my new system stops being a tool! :?

Any thoughts?

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Hey, I'm glad to see that someone was inspired by the video I found! :D

I really think that Portal is going to be great. I'm not even sure if it'll be a FPS per se, but whatever it is, I think it will be very unique, refreshing, and AWESOME. I would classify the game more as a puzzler, even though it is in the first person, and you kinda have a gun-y thingy.

Although I love FPSes, especially their Multiplayer aspects, I still think that Portal will be a winner. True, I like pointing a gun at things and shooting my buddies online, and I don't think that you'll be doing much of that in the game, but its just so different that I don't think it can fail to be awe-inspiring and entertaining.

Wow. I just wrote like 2 paragraphs about absolutely nothing. Anyway, point is, Portal=wow.