What's on the horizon?

G

Anyone know of any 'Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale' type of PC games that are under development? Don't ask me why, but I've always enjoyed those type of games much more than anything else that has come out since.

sleepyhead

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
I played the first NWN and one of the expansions, but haven't played NWN2. I thought the first one was pretty good, but not quite as good as controlling a larger party ala Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.

I will probably check out NWN2 once I build my new computer. How would you compare it to the first one?

-J.

eqselgonas

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
It's okay, and it has its share of problems such as bugs and system requirements (without seemingly great graphics). But the price is reasonable. I couldn't recommend it if it was more than $25.

I liked Baldur's Gate, loved Planescape: Torment... Although lately I'm stuck in MMOs.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I still think they should do an "ultimate" infinity engine collection for people who missed the games the first time around.

Package BG, BG2, BG:ToB, ID, ID:HoW, ID2, and Planescape together for like $29.95.

I still have fond memories of all that deep, engrossing gaming.

Jurosem

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Funny you should ask for that collection, cause just yesterday I wandered into a shop and saw a "Forgotten Realms" collection. I believe it was both Baldur's Gate games, both Icewind Dale games plus NWN 1. Not quite what you asked for, but close.
I bought Icewind Dale II myself like a year ago, without having played the first, and I have to say I wasn't impressed. Of course I only got about a day's worth of playing before some problem with my computer made the game crash at certain points, but still, it hadn't been a good game until that point.

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
NWN 2 has more "Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale" feel to it than NWN 1 did. You can have 4-6 characters in your party and you can control them. You can choose from different types of camera angles and one of them is similar to the angle that was used in Baldur's Gate.

The first add-on for NWN 2 will be released this fall. You could also check out the RPG in development called Bewitcher. It looks cool and is somewhat similar to NWN. As for Obsidian Entertainment, there has been news that they've started developing an RPG based on the "Aliens" movies.