Removed Attachments

August 5, 2004 5:35:03 PM

I just installed XP Home edition. When receiving E-mails with attachments, a line on top says, "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments". I know they are safe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : removed attachments

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 7:42:31 PM

1. Start Outlook Express.
2. On the Tools menu, click Options.
3. Click the Security tab, click to clear the "Do not allow
attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially
be a virus" check box under Virus Protection, and then click OK.

Applicable Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q329570

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"KC" wrote:

|I just installed XP Home edition. When receiving E-mails with attachments, a line on top says, "OE removed
access to the following unsafe attachments". I know they are safe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
August 5, 2004 7:42:32 PM

All set. Thank you.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Start Outlook Express.
> 2. On the Tools menu, click Options.
> 3. Click the Security tab, click to clear the "Do not allow
> attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially
> be a virus" check box under Virus Protection, and then click OK.
>
> Applicable Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:
>
> Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q329570
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect your PC!

> "KC" wrote:
>
> |I just installed XP Home edition. When receiving E-mails with attachments, a line on top says, "OE removed
> access to the following unsafe attachments". I know they are safe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

August 5, 2004 11:13:32 PM

Greetings --

Nothing has been removed, not really.

Outlook Express' default security settings are simply trying to
protect you. OE has no way of telling whether an attachment actually
contains a virus or not, so it temporarily blocks any of those file
types that could potentially contain a virus. In Outlook Express,
Tools > Options > Security, uncheck the "Do not allow attachments to
be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" option, assuming
you trust the source, of course. The wiser course of action, however,
would be to modify your list of unsafe files, as outlined in the KB
articles below:

Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in OE After You Install SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570

Information About the Unsafe File List in Internet Explorer 6
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291369

OLEXP Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291387

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"KC" <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just installed XP Home edition. When receiving E-mails with
attachments, a line on top says, "OE removed access to the following
unsafe attachments". I know they are safe. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:42:50 AM

Hi KC
In Outlook Express go to Tools > Options and select the security tab. Here
uncheck ' Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could
potentionally be a virus'. Then switch to another email message, when you
select the email with the attachment again you should be able to access it.

Mark

"KC" <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed XP Home edition. When receiving E-mails with attachments,
>a line on top says, "OE removed access to the following unsafe
>attachments". I know they are safe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:47:38 AM

This is a security issue, go to Tools/Options/Security and uncheck the
box "Do not allow attachments ---- do make sure that you scan them with
uptodate AV.
Joan

!