Item(s) for my necromencer

I thought back over all of the items that I have seen, and have yet to see
anything really useful for a skellimancer, weapon-wise. (I admit the
possibility that they come later on, he is only L17 right now).

I have managed to acquire a decent number of gems, along with a few (6 or
7) low level runes (can't remember the names off hand).

So, given the above, I am wondering the following: Should I use the runes
that I have now to try to build something for my skellimancer, or are they
(gems and runes) better off saved for my melee characters?

--
Marcel

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
> I thought back over all of the items that I have seen, and have yet
to see
> anything really useful for a skellimancer, weapon-wise. (I admit the
> possibility that they come later on, he is only L17 right now).
>
> I have managed to acquire a decent number of gems, along with a few
(6 or
> 7) low level runes (can't remember the names off hand).
>
> So, given the above, I am wondering the following: Should I use the
runes
> that I have now to try to build something for my skellimancer, or are
they
> (gems and runes) better off saved for my melee characters?

Low level runes should either be used when you can or saved for cubing
into better runes. At level 17 with a necro, you can basically run
around naked and still trash the game.

Mickey

On 25 Jan 2005 16:08:22 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin
<mbeauINVALID@sympaINVALIDtico.ca> wrote:

>I thought back over all of the items that I have seen, and have yet to see
>anything really useful for a skellimancer, weapon-wise. (I admit the
>possibility that they come later on, he is only L17 right now).
>
>I have managed to acquire a decent number of gems, along with a few (6 or
>7) low level runes (can't remember the names off hand).
>
>So, given the above, I am wondering the following: Should I use the runes
>that I have now to try to build something for my skellimancer, or are they
>(gems and runes) better off saved for my melee characters?

Save 'em. Your necro doesn't need a powerful weapon yet, and at 17
you are actually better off getting a decent weapon for your merc than
for your necro. At that level my necros sometimes just throw javs, or
use the rogue merc's cast-off bow. With Amp and a few skels, that's
plenty to handle anything until Duri. Later on you can make a "White"
wand with some fairly low runes, or just buy an ordinary blue wand
with + to summoning or necro skills, depending on your build.

-- Roy L

"Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in

> Low level runes should either be used when you can or saved for cubing
> into better runes. At level 17 with a necro, you can basically run
> around naked and still trash the game.

I am finding that is true. With a couple of levels of Amplify, it's all a
matter of attrition.

--
Marcel

royls@telus.net wrote in news:41f683e1.4941744@news.telus.net:

> Later on you can make a "White"
> wand with some fairly low runes, or just buy an ordinary blue wand
> with + to summoning or necro skills, depending on your build.

Thanks. Sounds lke the plan...

--
Marcel

~misfit~ wrote:
> Devast8or wrote:
>> Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
>>> I thought back over all of the items that I have seen, and have yet
>>> to see anything really useful for a skellimancer, weapon-wise. (I
>>> admit the possibility that they come later on, he is only L17 right
>>> now).
>>>
>> Arm Of King Leoric:
>> http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/exceptional/uwands.shtml
>
> I have a love/hate relationship with that wand. My level 91
> skellimancer is using it and, while it's great for the +3 to RS and
> SM and the +2 to summoning and P'nB spells it's the chance to cast
> bone prison that gets me. It's actually killed me a few times,
> throwing up a prison around the necro and a frenzytaur is a
> particularly nasty way to go. There isn't much you can do. Also, I've
> had it throw a Bone Prison up trapping me right next to a burning
> chest. That hurts as well. Now, the only way I'll use the Arm of
> Leoric is with Spellsteel:
>
> http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/exceptional/uaxes.shtml
>
> On switch. I can hit 'W' and teleport my arse out of that bone prison
> now.

That's on my weapon switch too :)

Devast8or (no arm though, using Ume's Lament - best I've found so far)

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
> "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in
>
> > Low level runes should either be used when you can or saved for
cubing
> > into better runes. At level 17 with a necro, you can basically run
> > around naked and still trash the game.
>
> I am finding that is true. With a couple of levels of Amplify, it's
all a
> matter of attrition.

This is why I always build a necro first when a new ladder starts. It
is also why I have won the ladder race 3 times :)

Mickey