Updates

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Lately my updates are failing, all of them, done a ton of stuff but nothing really helps, but today I came across this:
Open REGEDIT.EXE, navigate to,
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software/Microsoft\Windows\ CurentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
The correct value is %APPDATA%
Right click on AppData, choose modify, Change this to %USERPROFILE%\APPDATA\ROAMING.

at this point all is well for me, updates are working again, but there was more

If the problem persists continue with
Open REGEDIT.EXE, navigate to,
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurentVersion\Explorer\user Shell Folders
Right click on AppData, choose modify, Change this to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

And Change
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
Right click on AppData, choose modify, Change this to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

then I came across this, an automatic fix from MSFT,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2258121
I included the manual fix and the auto because I don't know if the auto works, but I know the manual does

You may have got a corrupted download. Have you tried deleting everything in folder C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download? Try running windows update after clearing out that folder. Also, leave the download folder intact. Only delete the contents of that folder.

Leave the deleted files in your trash bin in case you need to restore it later.