installing problems

August 6, 2004 1:05:02 AM

i'm currently using win Me, while checking my computer system requirements
during upgrading , it said the HaM Configuration(it's about com port) in
control panel and the 'restore disk' or' back up disk ' on 'start' menu will
not support xp.

i'm wondering whether i should go on upgrading my computer to XP because i
think they are important component of computer

More about : installing problems

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 4:13:34 AM

These appear to be 3rd party utilities, not part of Windows ME. XP is just warning you that these applications are not compatible with XP. You may want to check with the vendor's and see if they have an upgrade that is compatible with XP.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Alice" <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47538052-3F49-412D-B96C-234D46926753@microsoft.com...
> i'm currently using win Me, while checking my computer system requirements
> during upgrading , it said the HaM Configuration(it's about com port) in
> control panel and the 'restore disk' or' back up disk ' on 'start' menu will
> not support xp.
>
> i'm wondering whether i should go on upgrading my computer to XP because i
> think they are important component of computer
August 6, 2004 5:53:01 AM

what can i do if they really don't have an upgrade??
will i become unable to use my ports (usb, ps/2 etc..) after upgrading to XP
due to these utilities not compatible with XP?? (because HaM configuration
is about computer ports)
how about clean install ?? will it get rid of the problems and will it
delete all my files and programs ?

can i hav both win Me and XP in my comp ? if i can, how can i do??

thx for reading and answering

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> These appear to be 3rd party utilities, not part of Windows ME. XP is just warning you that these applications are not compatible with XP. You may want to check with the vendor's and see if they have an upgrade that is compatible with XP.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Alice" <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47538052-3F49-412D-B96C-234D46926753@microsoft.com...
> > i'm currently using win Me, while checking my computer system requirements
> > during upgrading , it said the HaM Configuration(it's about com port) in
> > control panel and the 'restore disk' or' back up disk ' on 'start' menu will
> > not support xp.
> >
> > i'm wondering whether i should go on upgrading my computer to XP because i
> > think they are important component of computer

August 6, 2004 11:47:43 AM

If you do a clean installation, you'll need to reinstall your applications. Windows XP comes with the Files And Settings Transfer wizard (FAST). This will allow you to back up your files and settings before doing the installation, and restore them afterwards.

A clean install won't see these 'problem' programs, so there shouldn't be any issues. HaM Configuration appears to be related to your dial up modem. It may or may not be needed under XP. You'll have to check with the modem manufacturer, or your computer manufacturer to see if it is, or not.

"Alice" <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C9DDFDFA-705B-4DF2-AAF5-96D6CE21D86E@microsoft.com...
> what can i do if they really don't have an upgrade??
> will i become unable to use my ports (usb, ps/2 etc..) after upgrading to XP
> due to these utilities not compatible with XP?? (because HaM configuration
> is about computer ports)
> how about clean install ?? will it get rid of the problems and will it
> delete all my files and programs ?
>
> can i hav both win Me and XP in my comp ? if i can, how can i do??
>
> thx for reading and answering
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> These appear to be 3rd party utilities, not part of Windows ME. XP is just warning you that these applications are not compatible with XP. You may want to check with the vendor's and see if they have an upgrade that is compatible with XP.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Alice" <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47538052-3F49-412D-B96C-234D46926753@microsoft.com...
>> > i'm currently using win Me, while checking my computer system requirements
>> > during upgrading , it said the HaM Configuration(it's about com port) in
>> > control panel and the 'restore disk' or' back up disk ' on 'start' menu will
>> > not support xp.
>> >
>> > i'm wondering whether i should go on upgrading my computer to XP because i
>> > think they are important component of computer

August 6, 2004 11:47:44 AM

as HaM is related to my modem, will i become unable to connect the internet
if it's not compatable ??
also any HaM upgrade???

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> If you do a clean installation, you'll need to reinstall your applications. Windows XP comes with the Files And Settings Transfer wizard (FAST). This will allow you to back up your files and settings before doing the installation, and restore them afterwards.
>
> A clean install won't see these 'problem' programs, so there shouldn't be any issues. HaM Configuration appears to be related to your dial up modem. It may or may not be needed under XP. You'll have to check with the modem manufacturer, or your computer manufacturer to see if it is, or not.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Alice" <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C9DDFDFA-705B-4DF2-AAF5-96D6CE21D86E@microsoft.com...
> > what can i do if they really don't have an upgrade??
> > will i become unable to use my ports (usb, ps/2 etc..) after upgrading to XP
> > due to these utilities not compatible with XP?? (because HaM configuration
> > is about computer ports)
> > how about clean install ?? will it get rid of the problems and will it
> > delete all my files and programs ?
> >
> > can i hav both win Me and XP in my comp ? if i can, how can i do??
> >
> > thx for reading and answering
> >
> > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> These appear to be 3rd party utilities, not part of Windows ME. XP is just warning you that these applications are not compatible with XP. You may want to check with the vendor's and see if they have an upgrade that is compatible with XP.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> >> http://www.dougknox.com
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:09:52 PM

If XP didn't flag the modem itself as "not compatible", then it probably has at least a generic driver for it, so I would expect it would work. As always, you should check with the modem manufacturer's web site, or the computer manufacturer's web site for the latest drivers for your modem, or other hardware.

As far as your HaM software, you'll have to check with the people that wrote it. I'm not familiar with it, or where to get it.

"Alice" <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:807F5B1D-34F6-4BA0-9E6A-ECB93EED83A0@microsoft.com...
> as HaM is related to my modem, will i become unable to connect the internet
> if it's not compatable ??
> also any HaM upgrade???
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> If you do a clean installation, you'll need to reinstall your applications. Windows XP comes with the Files And Settings Transfer wizard (FAST). This will allow you to back up your files and settings before doing the installation, and restore them afterwards.
>>
>> A clean install won't see these 'problem' programs, so there shouldn't be any issues. HaM Configuration appears to be related to your dial up modem. It may or may not be needed under XP. You'll have to check with the modem manufacturer, or your computer manufacturer to see if it is, or not.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Alice" <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C9DDFDFA-705B-4DF2-AAF5-96D6CE21D86E@microsoft.com...
>> > what can i do if they really don't have an upgrade??
>> > will i become unable to use my ports (usb, ps/2 etc..) after upgrading to XP
>> > due to these utilities not compatible with XP?? (because HaM configuration
>> > is about computer ports)
>> > how about clean install ?? will it get rid of the problems and will it
>> > delete all my files and programs ?
>> >
>> > can i hav both win Me and XP in my comp ? if i can, how can i do??
>> >
>> > thx for reading and answering

August 6, 2004 1:09:53 PM

ok... thx answering my queries Doug
also there's another program called Intel(R) PROSet II in control panel
which is found as not compatible with XP !!! any upgrades?? or jus ignore it??

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> If XP didn't flag the modem itself as "not compatible", then it probably has at least a generic driver for it, so I would expect it would work. As always, you should check with the modem manufacturer's web site, or the computer manufacturer's web site for the latest drivers for your modem, or other hardware.
>
> As far as your HaM software, you'll have to check with the people that wrote it. I'm not familiar with it, or where to get it.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Alice" <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:807F5B1D-34F6-4BA0-9E6A-ECB93EED83A0@microsoft.com...
> > as HaM is related to my modem, will i become unable to connect the internet
> > if it's not compatable ??
> > also any HaM upgrade???
> >
> > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> If you do a clean installation, you'll need to reinstall your applications. Windows XP comes with the Files And Settings Transfer wizard (FAST). This will allow you to back up your files and settings before doing the installation, and restore them afterwards.
> >>
> >> A clean install won't see these 'problem' programs, so there shouldn't be any issues. HaM Configuration appears to be related to your dial up modem. It may or may not be needed under XP. You'll have to check with the modem manufacturer, or your computer manufacturer to see if it is, or not.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> >> http://www.dougknox.com
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> >> --------------------------------
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 6:17:59 PM

Again, you'll have to check with the vendor. Its part of the ethernet card software, for Intel NIC's, but I don't believe its mandatory to have it. You can try searching for this on Intel's site.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/support_inte...

"Alice" <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:58CDA6E0-EA9C-429A-A0EC-367A9C292562@microsoft.com...
> ok... thx answering my queries Doug
> also there's another program called Intel(R) PROSet II in control panel
> which is found as not compatible with XP !!! any upgrades?? or jus ignore it??
>

> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> If XP didn't flag the modem itself as "not compatible", then it probably has at least a generic driver for it, so I would expect it would work. As always, you should check with the modem manufacturer's web site, or the computer manufacturer's web site for the latest drivers for your modem, or other hardware.
>>
>> As far as your HaM software, you'll have to check with the people that wrote it. I'm not familiar with it, or where to get it.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "Alice" <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:807F5B1D-34F6-4BA0-9E6A-ECB93EED83A0@microsoft.com...
>> > as HaM is related to my modem, will i become unable to connect the internet
>> > if it's not compatable ??
>> > also any HaM upgrade???

August 7, 2004 1:27:01 AM

the question i really wanna know, if Intel(R) PROSet II not compatible with
XP, will i become unable to connect to the internet after upgrading?

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Again, you'll have to check with the vendor. Its part of the ethernet card software, for Intel NIC's, but I don't believe its mandatory to have it. You can try searching for this on Intel's site.
>
> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/support_inte...
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Alice" <Alice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:58CDA6E0-EA9C-429A-A0EC-367A9C292562@microsoft.com...
> > ok... thx answering my queries Doug
> > also there's another program called Intel(R) PROSet II in control panel
> > which is found as not compatible with XP !!! any upgrades?? or jus ignore it??
> >

> > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> If XP didn't flag the modem itself as "not compatible", then it probably has at least a generic driver for it, so I would expect it would work. As always, you should check with the modem manufacturer's web site, or the computer manufacturer's web site for the latest drivers for your modem, or other hardware.
> >>
> >> As far as your HaM software, you'll have to check with the people that wrote it. I'm not familiar with it, or where to get it.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> >> http://www.dougknox.com
> >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
> >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Anonymous
August 8, 2004 3:29:00 AM

And if I had the answer, I'd tell you. None of my computer's run this application, although there was a version of it originally installed on my Gateway Media Center PC. You will have to check with your computer's manufacturer to find out if they have an updated version for your computer.

!