Registry backup.

Sometimes before doing certain things we are told to backup the Registry.
What is the best way of doing it?
And the best way of restoring it when required?
TIA
5 answers Last reply
More about registry backup

    Greetings,

    To backup the Registry please follow these steps below:

    1) Start > Run
    2) Type in "regedit" (without the quotes)
    3) Go on File "Export" and choose your path where you want to save it to.

    *This may take some time to backup, leave your pc idle for a few mintues*

    You can import a registry file just by following the steps above, you just
    have to choose "Import"

    Thanks and best of luck!

    --
    Jose Francisco
    http://www.xpez.tk

    "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Sometimes before doing certain things we are told to backup the Registry.
    > What is the best way of doing it?
    > And the best way of restoring it when required?
    > TIA

    Hi Ben,

    Please read:

    HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP and Windows
    Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322756

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Sometimes before doing certain things we are told to backup the Registry.
    > What is the best way of doing it?
    > And the best way of restoring it when required?
    > TIA

    Was wondering about this.. Thanks

    > Hi Ben,
    >
    > Please read:
    >
    > HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP and Windows
    > Server 2003
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322756
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Sometimes before doing certain things we are told to backup the
    Registry.
    > > What is the best way of doing it?
    > > And the best way of restoring it when required?
    > > TIA

    Read the whole thing. Quite daunting for a newuser. Could you make it any
    simpler?
    Thanks

    > Hi Ben,
    >
    > Please read:
    >
    > HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP and Windows
    > Server 2003
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322756
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Sometimes before doing certain things we are told to backup the
    Registry.
    > > What is the best way of doing it?
    > > And the best way of restoring it when required?
    > > TIA

    Hi Ben,

    No, not really. The registry is a dangerous place, newbie or not, and
    working with it should be a last resort.

    --

    > Read the whole thing. Quite daunting for a newuser. Could you make it any
    > simpler?
    > Thanks

    > > Hi Ben,
    > >
    > > Please read:
    > >
    > > HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP and
    Windows
    > > Server 2003
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Sometimes before doing certain things we are told to backup the
    > Registry.
    > > > What is the best way of doing it?
    > > > And the best way of restoring it when required?
    > > > TIA

Backup Registry Microsoft Windows XP