Stupid 'games for windows' header on boxes.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Does anyone else hate this stupid heading, it looks crap, the pc DVD is smaller and better looking i am going to stop buying games if they keep putting that there. REALLY. I *refuse* to buy that ugly thing. I dont care if the game i am buying rules. I will not buy it if it has that on it.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
The only game I bought with that logo on was.. Supreme Commander, it's collecting dust for me and the 2 coworkers I recommended it to... shame on me..

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
It pisses me off that i have to see 'WINDOWS' thrown in my face every time i want to buy Supreme Commander. And now Crysis, What next?

Just wish they had made another TA.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I would not mind if it wasnt so bloody ugly, if it was small and well presented it would be cool but this one is looks horrible, i buy games to get something NICE not to get a piece of windows advertising.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I buy games to own the case, and to know that i supported the company. Now i am basically supporting windows, which i don't. It is just something to make the case ugly, i will just make some black pieces of cardboard and glue them over it.

I strip all the windows out of my windows os for flips sake, now they are putting windows in my games too? What the hell. I hope sony ruins them.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Well i like being odd. The only part of windows i approve of is the kernel and the original win 95 interface. I don't like they way microsoft does things, but then again i dont like the way linux works either and i don't like apple. Basically i just dont like the whole way os's work, if i could use DOS i would be happy. IBM dos, not windows dos. I use windows cause i like games, MAC gaming my eye, and linux supports open gl only. I know DX is microsoft but if it looks better so be it.

Basically i want to be able to use windows without it making it abundantly clear that i am using any of thier new 'innovations' like using all your fucking ram so the apps you NEVER use can load faster. The only remaining portions of my XP are the kernel, the basic gui, DX support and one or two networking services. I like the kernel but i dont want to see any of thier other crap on my pc. I will buy their product, and support them that way, but after that i want to be able to have NOTHING else of theirs running. I have want the BARE MINIMUM of windows running i don't want to see more than the windows logo on the start bar. I want to buy the thing once and never have to see the windows logo again. If i could cut it out of the start menu i would.

www.nliteos.com

Try it and see what i mean, I cut out EVERYTHING that was not red, except some of the networking cause that is kind of essential. Basically if i have the kernel i am happy but idont want the kernel showing me dogs that search for files, and green rolling hills. I want the fact that it can run games and that is it. I like the platform and it's stability for games (XP that is), but NOTHING else.

I use Open Office.
VNC
VLC
Mozilla
Flashget
NOD32
and Games and that is all i want running in the background.
Not windows firewall or security centre, or anything else they say 'optimises' windows like the indexing service, or defragmenter (theirs does not even work) i can copy my files in a way the prevents fragmentation. I want a kernel on which i can run games and not see anything distinctly microsoft. I will use their shit but i don't want to be told i am doing so by paperclips and signposts on my pc. Basically i use windows cause it works the things i use, i dont want ANYTHING more. And if they manage to get DX 10 working on XP I am NOT moving....

Nothing wrong with windows after it has it's cancer removed by nLite.
I would be happy if they left their ugly logo off my game boxes, i paid them once, i am not going to do so again. I know developers pay them to use DX but that is unavoidable.

I seriously dislike their logo on my pc.

The windows kernel is great, the rest isn't.

It is impossible to be a gamer and not use windows, i just want to use as little of it as possible.

You are doubtlessly now going to look for inconsistencies in my posts but hey, who cares, The whole point of this post was to ask if anyone else hated the ugly billboard they have glued onto perfectly good looking game covers, all you needed to say was, "No".

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Simple solution - take the paper insert out of the case, cut off the banner with a pair of scissors, then put the insert back. Job done.

Now you can stop whining and get back to playing games.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
True, you are nuts.

Have you ever thought that by having this banner on the game box, the games company is receiving extra revenue. So in a way by the games developer having this banner it is actually helping them and supporting there work, so in a way if you made them cut out this banner you would be hurting there cash flow thus being very unsupportive of that developer.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Have you never seen an XBOX box of an playstation box? :lol:

They just letting you show that that game is for a windows PC, nothing wrong with that?
I don't understand why everybody is against windows, especially if there using it there self. If you don't like it, take another OS.

GrandAdmiralThrawn

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
the "games for windows" banner on the boxes does not really bug me I just put the box on the shelf when I'm not playing the game.

If it is that annoying you could hide it in a box or a somthing or put the game disc or discs in another case or one of those paper sleevs.

G

I don't think it looks too bad. When I see it, I know that it'll work with my OS properly (Vista64). Besides that, I don't even look at it, it's a box. Once the games installed, I look at the monitor instead, hehe.

Amdkillsintel

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Well, i agree it is annoying how Microsoft has a prominent header about games for Windows on the box and its bordered on the left by the orb thing on the Vista start menu. Microsoft clearly is promoting Vista with it. Trying to show off how great games on Vista is when most games don't support D10 and actually run slower than the games on XP lol. I don't remember seeing the header before Vista came out.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
True, it's all part of Microsoft's attempts to consol-ise the PC games market. This includes the packaging, where there will be a PC-game banner similar to the X-Box banners on those games.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the packaging - I'm more concerned about how MS's plan could harm user-created content, which typically has been one of the key plusses of PC games over consoles.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I KNOW!

And i cant stand it, i don't own a fucking xbox. I own a PC.

Yes and it is the dumb ass vista logo. I hate vista, lets hope the guys at falling leaf are going to sort this out.