DESKTOP ICONS

Hello
I'm hoping someone can assist me with a better understanding of a problem
and offer some advice.
I have tried and tried to work around this, but with no luck (please
remember this is for "New Users", and I'm a "newbie".
I'm having difficulty with shortcut icons on the desktop. I use a lot of
these for quick connect to programs I use frequently.
I have noticed some program icons, for example ... WinZip have a "picture
theme" as their icon.
When I click on "Properties" for this icon, there are 3 tabs available...
"General"
"Shortcut"
"Compatibility"
Under the "Shortcut" tab, it allows the icon to be changed, and refers me to
a group of mixed icons.
Another icon, for example "Windows XP New Users Group" have only the generic
"e" explorer icon.
When I go to the "Properties" selection on the info, it only has the
"General" tab, and no choice of changing the icon.
I know this is a small thing to worry with, but I would just like to have my
desktop look better, plus it does make spotting the desktop shortcut icon
easier.
Can anyone help?

--
Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
Amber

Byte

Icons are put on your desktop by default, shortcuts are your choice by adding,
deleting, changing graphic, etc. The symbols are either icons or shortcuts.
I have about 30 icons and shortcuts on my desktop. One shortcut is named
"Unused Desktop Shortcuts". This is where XP will ask you if you want to put
them if they have not been used in the last 30 days. You can put all your
shortcuts there if you like. I don't know how you want your desktop to look,
but if you want just one shortcut you can drag and drop them all to just one
and name it "Shortcuts".