If I am going buy a LINKSYS WAP54G shouldnt I just buy a L..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 3:15:24 PM

For the extra few pounds i get the added features.
I assume the WRT54G has all the features contained in the WAP54G plus
a few extras ???
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 3:15:25 PM

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:15:24 +0100, sam1967@hetnet.nl spoketh

>For the extra few pounds i get the added features.
>I assume the WRT54G has all the features contained in the WAP54G plus
>a few extras ???

Nope, you assume wrong. The WRT does not have any extras, quite
contrary. Although it is also a router, it doesn't support all the
various AP modes that the WAP does. Also, the WRT has had some stability
issues, which I'm sure you'll find by doing a google search in this
newsgroup. The WAP, with the 2.07 firmware is rock solid.

If you already have a router, I'd recommend going with the WAP rather
than the WRT.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 4:38:47 PM

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:15:24 +0100, sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:

>For the extra few pounds i get the added features.
>I assume the WRT54G has all the features contained in the WAP54G plus
>a few extras ???

I would definitely go for the WRT54G, or even GS if you can afford it.
WRT54G has everything WAP54G has and even more, and the WRT54GS has
even more memory than the G, leaving room for growing firmware
versions.
Donate $20 to www.sveasoft.com and you have instant access to the
latest version of James Ewing's awesome firmware.
I can't think of any consumer-grade (or maybe even professional)
wireless router firware that is even close to beat Sveasoft with
regards to functionality, flexibility and features.

Arne

--
I can be reached at:
Related resources

"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:15:24 +0100, sam1967@hetnet.nl spoketh
>
> >For the extra few pounds i get the added features.
> >I assume the WRT54G has all the features contained in the WAP54G plus
> >a few extras ???
> >

> Nope, you assume wrong. The WRT does not have any extras, quite
> contrary. Although it is also a router, it doesn't support all the
> various AP modes that the WAP does. Also, the WRT has had some stability
> issues, which I'm sure you'll find by doing a google search in this

I am doing the same decision making. I don't need a router but if the router
"does everything" I was just going to buy it.

My goal was to get the best security. Out of curiousity what AP modes are
missing from the WRT?

> newsgroup. The WAP, with the 2.07 firmware is rock solid.
>
> If you already have a router, I'd recommend going with the WAP rather
> than the WRT.
>
> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 5:19:39 PM

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:43:36 -0400, Lars M. Hansen
<badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:15:24 +0100, sam1967@hetnet.nl spoketh
>
>>For the extra few pounds i get the added features.
>>I assume the WRT54G has all the features contained in the WAP54G plus
>>a few extras ???
>>

>Nope, you assume wrong. The WRT does not have any extras, quite
>contrary. Although it is also a router, it doesn't support all the
>various AP modes that the WAP does. Also, the WRT has had some stability
>issues, which I'm sure you'll find by doing a google search in this
>newsgroup. The WAP, with the 2.07 firmware is rock solid.
>
>If you already have a router, I'd recommend going with the WAP rather
>than the WRT.

thanks for the advice.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 5, 2004 7:00:46 PM

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:43:36 -0400, Lars M. Hansen
<badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

>Nope, you assume wrong. The WRT does not have any extras, quite
>contrary. Although it is also a router, it doesn't support all the
>various AP modes that the WAP does. Also, the WRT has had some stability
>issues, which I'm sure you'll find by doing a google search in this
>newsgroup. The WAP, with the 2.07 firmware is rock solid.
>
>If you already have a router, I'd recommend going with the WAP rather
>than the WRT.

Forget about the stock Linksys FW and go for Sveasoft instead. I have
ran 2 of them, one as AP, the other as client for 6-7 weeks without
the need to restart any of them.

Arne

--
I can be reached at:
Anonymous

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:00:46 +0200, Arne Nåtedal spoketh

>Forget about the stock Linksys FW and go for Sveasoft instead. I have
>ran 2 of them, one as AP, the other as client for 6-7 weeks without
>the need to restart any of them.
>
>Arne

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. I haven't had a need to restart my AP
with the Linksys firmware either...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
a b F Wireless
August 6, 2004 12:02:05 AM

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:39:27 -0400, George spoketh

>My goal was to get the best security. Out of curiousity what AP modes are
>missing from the WRT?

As far as I can tell, it only supports plain old "vanilla" Access Point.

The WAP54G also works as an AP Client, Wireless Repeater and Wireless
Bridge.

I don't know if the sveasoft firmware adds support for these modes on
the WRT54G or not, or even if it matters for you to have it...

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net
a b F Wireless
August 6, 2004 11:02:07 AM

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:29:36 -0400, Lars M. Hansen
<badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

>If it ain't broken, don't fix it. I haven't had a need to restart my AP
>with the Linksys firmware either...

Well, do you consider upgrading to a newer FW version to be fixing,
which is only to be done when something is broken?

My information about the Sveasoft FW was in response to your statement
that the WRT54G doesn't support all the various AP modes that the WAP
does.
Actually, which AP modes does the WAP54G support?

The Sveasoft is however an enhancement of the stock Linksys FW, which
is made available under the GPL license.

Arne

--
I can be reached at:
Anonymous

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 07:02:07 +0200, Arne Nåtedal spoketh

>On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:29:36 -0400, Lars M. Hansen
><badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:
>
>>If it ain't broken, don't fix it. I haven't had a need to restart my AP
>>with the Linksys firmware either...
>
>Well, do you consider upgrading to a newer FW version to be fixing,
>which is only to be done when something is broken?
>
>My information about the Sveasoft FW was in response to your statement
>that the WRT54G doesn't support all the various AP modes that the WAP
>does.
>Actually, which AP modes does the WAP54G support?
>
>The Sveasoft is however an enhancement of the stock Linksys FW, which
>is made available under the GPL license.
>
>Arne

The WAP supports AP client, Repeater and bridging mode in addition to
the normal AP mode. From what I can tell, the WRT supports none of
these.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
a b F Wireless
August 9, 2004 11:21:13 AM

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 07:51:57 -0400, Lars M. Hansen
<badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

>>Actually, which AP modes does the WAP54G support?

>The WAP supports AP client, Repeater and bridging mode in addition to
>the normal AP mode. From what I can tell, the WRT supports none of
>these.

With Sveasoft FW the WRT can act as normal AP, Client or WDS bridge.
As mentioned, I've ran the first two modes for 6-7 weeks without a
flaw.

Arne

--
I can be reached at:
Anonymous

A very interesting discussion, indeed. Out of the box, the WRT54G
doesn't support much AP modes (i know because i am also researching
this..stuck in the same situation).

Arne,

Just to be sure: you have 2 WRT54G, one is running in normal AP mode
and the other is running in client mode (WITH special Sveasoft software
!)

Two questions:
1) Do you have multiple PCs behind the second ? (like a lan ?)
2) Can you connect STILL connect to the first WRT54G with a wireless PC
in infrastructure mode ?

------------------------
Just a quick recapitulation on all possible AP modes (correct me if i
am wrong):

AP Mode: Access Point Mode. A normal, single device like a portable PC
can connect in infrastructure mode.
Disadvantage: only single PC connections, you can connect a remote LAN.

AP Client Mode: The access point 'appears' to the receiver as a single
client (just like a normal PC in infrastucture mode), but can in fact
bridge multiple macs (a lan). The receiver can still connect other
clients.
Disadvantage: interoperability. REALLY prefer two same models from same
vendors or it might not work.

Bridge Mode: Two access points bridge traffic (complete LANs) to each
other (point-to-point mode) Disadvantage: they only send traffic to
each other. A wireless client PC cannot connect to the access point in
infrastucture mode any more.

WDS Bridging or Repeater Mode:The access point bridges the local lan
AND also is a receiver/transmittor for wireless PCs in infrastucture
mode.
Disadvantage: your bandwidth is cut in half, because the AP must
continuasly switch between receiving data from the main ap and sending
data to its own clients.
Advantage: extend your wireless range. Every hop cuts bandwidth in half
though.

--
Geert Nijs