If I am going buy a LINKSYS WAP54G shouldnt I just buy a L..

For the extra few pounds i get the added features.
I assume the WRT54G has all the features contained in the WAP54G plus
a few extras ???
11 answers Last reply
More about linksys wap54g shouldnt

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:15:24 +0100, sam1967@hetnet.nl spoketh

    >For the extra few pounds i get the added features.
    >I assume the WRT54G has all the features contained in the WAP54G plus
    >a few extras ???

    Nope, you assume wrong. The WRT does not have any extras, quite
    contrary. Although it is also a router, it doesn't support all the
    various AP modes that the WAP does. Also, the WRT has had some stability
    issues, which I'm sure you'll find by doing a google search in this
    newsgroup. The WAP, with the 2.07 firmware is rock solid.

    If you already have a router, I'd recommend going with the WAP rather
    than the WRT.

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:15:24 +0100, sam1967@hetnet.nl wrote:

    >For the extra few pounds i get the added features.
    >I assume the WRT54G has all the features contained in the WAP54G plus
    >a few extras ???

    I would definitely go for the WRT54G, or even GS if you can afford it.
    WRT54G has everything WAP54G has and even more, and the WRT54GS has
    even more memory than the G, leaving room for growing firmware
    versions.
    Donate $20 to www.sveasoft.com and you have instant access to the
    latest version of James Ewing's awesome firmware.
    I can't think of any consumer-grade (or maybe even professional)
    wireless router firware that is even close to beat Sveasoft with
    regards to functionality, flexibility and features.

    Arne

    --
    I can be reached at:

    "Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:15:24 +0100, sam1967@hetnet.nl spoketh
    >
    > >For the extra few pounds i get the added features.
    > >I assume the WRT54G has all the features contained in the WAP54G plus
    > >a few extras ???
    > >

    > Nope, you assume wrong. The WRT does not have any extras, quite
    > contrary. Although it is also a router, it doesn't support all the
    > various AP modes that the WAP does. Also, the WRT has had some stability
    > issues, which I'm sure you'll find by doing a google search in this

    I am doing the same decision making. I don't need a router but if the router
    "does everything" I was just going to buy it.

    My goal was to get the best security. Out of curiousity what AP modes are
    missing from the WRT?

    > newsgroup. The WAP, with the 2.07 firmware is rock solid.
    >
    > If you already have a router, I'd recommend going with the WAP rather
    > than the WRT.
    >
    > Lars M. Hansen
    > http://www.hansenonline.net
    > (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:43:36 -0400, Lars M. Hansen
    <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

    >On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:15:24 +0100, sam1967@hetnet.nl spoketh
    >
    >>For the extra few pounds i get the added features.
    >>I assume the WRT54G has all the features contained in the WAP54G plus
    >>a few extras ???
    >>

    >Nope, you assume wrong. The WRT does not have any extras, quite
    >contrary. Although it is also a router, it doesn't support all the
    >various AP modes that the WAP does. Also, the WRT has had some stability
    >issues, which I'm sure you'll find by doing a google search in this
    >newsgroup. The WAP, with the 2.07 firmware is rock solid.
    >
    >If you already have a router, I'd recommend going with the WAP rather
    >than the WRT.

    thanks for the advice.

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:43:36 -0400, Lars M. Hansen
    <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

    >Nope, you assume wrong. The WRT does not have any extras, quite
    >contrary. Although it is also a router, it doesn't support all the
    >various AP modes that the WAP does. Also, the WRT has had some stability
    >issues, which I'm sure you'll find by doing a google search in this
    >newsgroup. The WAP, with the 2.07 firmware is rock solid.
    >
    >If you already have a router, I'd recommend going with the WAP rather
    >than the WRT.

    Forget about the stock Linksys FW and go for Sveasoft instead. I have
    ran 2 of them, one as AP, the other as client for 6-7 weeks without
    the need to restart any of them.

    Arne

    --
    I can be reached at:

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:00:46 +0200, Arne Nåtedal spoketh

    >Forget about the stock Linksys FW and go for Sveasoft instead. I have
    >ran 2 of them, one as AP, the other as client for 6-7 weeks without
    >the need to restart any of them.
    >
    >Arne

    If it ain't broken, don't fix it. I haven't had a need to restart my AP
    with the Linksys firmware either...

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:39:27 -0400, George spoketh

    >My goal was to get the best security. Out of curiousity what AP modes are
    >missing from the WRT?

    As far as I can tell, it only supports plain old "vanilla" Access Point.

    The WAP54G also works as an AP Client, Wireless Repeater and Wireless
    Bridge.

    I don't know if the sveasoft firmware adds support for these modes on
    the WRT54G or not, or even if it matters for you to have it...

    Lars M. Hansen
    www.hansenonline.net

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:29:36 -0400, Lars M. Hansen
    <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

    >If it ain't broken, don't fix it. I haven't had a need to restart my AP
    >with the Linksys firmware either...

    Well, do you consider upgrading to a newer FW version to be fixing,
    which is only to be done when something is broken?

    My information about the Sveasoft FW was in response to your statement
    that the WRT54G doesn't support all the various AP modes that the WAP
    does.
    Actually, which AP modes does the WAP54G support?

    The Sveasoft is however an enhancement of the stock Linksys FW, which
    is made available under the GPL license.

    Arne

    --
    I can be reached at:

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 07:02:07 +0200, Arne Nåtedal spoketh

    >On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:29:36 -0400, Lars M. Hansen
    ><badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:
    >
    >>If it ain't broken, don't fix it. I haven't had a need to restart my AP
    >>with the Linksys firmware either...
    >
    >Well, do you consider upgrading to a newer FW version to be fixing,
    >which is only to be done when something is broken?
    >
    >My information about the Sveasoft FW was in response to your statement
    >that the WRT54G doesn't support all the various AP modes that the WAP
    >does.
    >Actually, which AP modes does the WAP54G support?
    >
    >The Sveasoft is however an enhancement of the stock Linksys FW, which
    >is made available under the GPL license.
    >
    >Arne

    The WAP supports AP client, Repeater and bridging mode in addition to
    the normal AP mode. From what I can tell, the WRT supports none of
    these.

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 07:51:57 -0400, Lars M. Hansen
    <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

    >>Actually, which AP modes does the WAP54G support?

    >The WAP supports AP client, Repeater and bridging mode in addition to
    >the normal AP mode. From what I can tell, the WRT supports none of
    >these.

    With Sveasoft FW the WRT can act as normal AP, Client or WDS bridge.
    As mentioned, I've ran the first two modes for 6-7 weeks without a
    flaw.

    Arne

    --
    I can be reached at:

    A very interesting discussion, indeed. Out of the box, the WRT54G
    doesn't support much AP modes (i know because i am also researching
    this..stuck in the same situation).

    Arne,

    Just to be sure: you have 2 WRT54G, one is running in normal AP mode
    and the other is running in client mode (WITH special Sveasoft software
    !)

    Two questions:
    1) Do you have multiple PCs behind the second ? (like a lan ?)
    2) Can you connect STILL connect to the first WRT54G with a wireless PC
    in infrastructure mode ?

    ------------------------
    Just a quick recapitulation on all possible AP modes (correct me if i
    am wrong):

    AP Mode: Access Point Mode. A normal, single device like a portable PC
    can connect in infrastructure mode.
    Disadvantage: only single PC connections, you can connect a remote LAN.

    AP Client Mode: The access point 'appears' to the receiver as a single
    client (just like a normal PC in infrastucture mode), but can in fact
    bridge multiple macs (a lan). The receiver can still connect other
    clients.
    Disadvantage: interoperability. REALLY prefer two same models from same
    vendors or it might not work.

    Bridge Mode: Two access points bridge traffic (complete LANs) to each
    other (point-to-point mode) Disadvantage: they only send traffic to
    each other. A wireless client PC cannot connect to the access point in
    infrastucture mode any more.

    WDS Bridging or Repeater Mode:The access point bridges the local lan
    AND also is a receiver/transmittor for wireless PCs in infrastucture
    mode.
    Disadvantage: your bandwidth is cut in half, because the AP must
    continuasly switch between receiving data from the main ap and sending
    data to its own clients.
    Advantage: extend your wireless range. Every hop cuts bandwidth in half
    though.

    --
    Geert Nijs

Wireless Linksys Internet Wireless Networking