In IE / Internet Options / Advanced Tab , I have the "Empty Temporary
Internet Files folder when browser is closed" checked (enabled) , but it
doesn't. This option used to work , but now it doesn't and I don't when
or why it quit working. I would appreciate any advice to get this
working again.

Thanx

Chas

Are you sure you have all instances of IE closed??

Ctrl + Shift + Del | Processes tab | Click the Image Name header
to alphabetize | Highlight any and all IEXPLORE.EXE one at a time |
End Process button | Answer YES | When all are closed....

1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
if there are a large number of files.
2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >> C:\Documents
and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5
4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
temporary internet files
5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
websites have placed on your hard drive.

To clear the Internet History in IE:
1) Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools
2) Click on Internet Options
3) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Clear History
4) Click OK

If there were more than one instance of IEXPLORE.EXE running, you may have
scumware.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:YcQQc.4603$rb2.3330@fe2.texas.rr.com,
Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> In IE / Internet Options / Advanced Tab , I have the "Empty Temporary
> Internet Files folder when browser is closed" checked (enabled) ,
> but it doesn't. This option used to work , but now it doesn't
> and I don't when or why it quit working. I would appreciate
> any advice to get this working again.
>

> Thanx
>
> Chas

I can delete temporary internet files manually with no problem , I just
can't get IE to do it automatically on browser shutdown as it used to.

Chas

> Are you sure you have all instances of IE closed??
>
> Ctrl + Shift + Del | Processes tab | Click the Image Name header
> to alphabetize | Highlight any and all IEXPLORE.EXE one at a time |
> End Process button | Answer YES | When all are closed....
>
> 1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
> Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
> Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
> Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed.
Especially
> if there are a large number of files.
> 2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
> 3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
C:\Documents
> and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
> C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files\Content.IE5
> 4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes
the
> temporary internet files
> 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
> websites have placed on your hard drive.
>
> To clear the Internet History in IE:
> 1) Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools
> 2) Click on Internet Options
> 3) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Clear History
> 4) Click OK
>
> If there were more than one instance of IEXPLORE.EXE running, you may have
> scumware.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:YcQQc.4603$rb2.3330@fe2.texas.rr.com,
> Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> > In IE / Internet Options / Advanced Tab , I have the "Empty Temporary
> > Internet Files folder when browser is closed" checked (enabled) ,
> > but it doesn't. This option used to work , but now it doesn't
> > and I don't when or why it quit working. I would appreciate
> > any advice to get this working again.
> >

> > Thanx
> >
> > Chas

Can

you

select

or

clear

the

check

boxes

on

the

tab??

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:1rVQc.3512$KZ2.2107@fe2.texas.rr.com,
Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> I can delete temporary internet files manually with no problem , I
> just can't get IE to do it automatically on browser shutdown as it
> used to.
>

> Chas

>> Are you sure you have all instances of IE closed??
>>
>> Ctrl + Shift + Del | Processes tab | Click the Image Name header
>> to alphabetize | Highlight any and all IEXPLORE.EXE one at a time |
>> End Process button | Answer YES | When all are closed....
>>
>> 1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
>> Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
>> Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
>> Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed.
>> Especially if there are a large number of files.
>> 2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete
>> Files 3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans
>> Internet Files AND C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local
>> Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>> 4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it
>> deletes the temporary internet files
>> 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete
>> cookies that websites have placed on your hard drive.
>>
>> To clear the Internet History in IE:
>> 1) Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools
>> 2) Click on Internet Options
>> 3) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Clear
>> History 4) Click OK
>>
>> If there were more than one instance of IEXPLORE.EXE running, you
>> may have scumware.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:YcQQc.4603$rb2.3330@fe2.texas.rr.com,
>> Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> In IE / Internet Options / Advanced Tab , I have the "Empty
>>> Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" checked
>>> (enabled) , but it doesn't. This option used to work , but now
>>> it doesn't and I don't when or why it quit working. I would
>>> appreciate any advice to get this working again.
>>>

>>> Thanx
>>>
>>> Chas

Yes

> Can
>

> you
>

> select
>

> or
>

> clear
>

> the
>

> check
>

> boxes
>

> on
>

> the

> tab??
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:1rVQc.3512$KZ2.2107@fe2.texas.rr.com,
> Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I can delete temporary internet files manually with no problem , I
> > just can't get IE to do it automatically on browser shutdown as it
> > used to.
> >

> > Chas
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Are you sure you have all instances of IE closed??
> >>
> >> Ctrl + Shift + Del | Processes tab | Click the Image Name header
> >> to alphabetize | Highlight any and all IEXPLORE.EXE one at a time |
> >> End Process button | Answer YES | When all are closed....
> >>
> >> 1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
> >> Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
> >> Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
> >> Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed.
> >> Especially if there are a large number of files.
> >> 2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete
> >> Files 3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans
> >> Internet Files AND C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local
> >> Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
> >> 4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it
> >> deletes the temporary internet files
> >> 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete
> >> cookies that websites have placed on your hard drive.
> >>
> >> To clear the Internet History in IE:
> >> 1) Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools
> >> 2) Click on Internet Options
> >> 3) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Clear
> >> History 4) Click OK
> >>
> >> If there were more than one instance of IEXPLORE.EXE running, you
> >> may have scumware.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >> Wes
> >>
> >> In news:YcQQc.4603$rb2.3330@fe2.texas.rr.com,
> >> Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:

Good thing I didn't waste any time on that idea then.

Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed
only cleans out part of the Temporary Internet Files anyway.
It does *not* clean the Content.IE5 folder.

Try this. It does clean the Content.IE5 folder. And many other items as
well.
I have mine set to run at boot. It runs. It cleans. It closes.
Veni Vidi Vici. :)

With Disk Cleaner you can easily clean up disk space that is now used by
temporary files like those in the system temporary folder, the Internet
Explorer Cache and Cookies folder, and the Recycle Bin.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/

Easy to use one-click cleaning
Cleaning Presets
Quiet mode , i.e. for cleaning when booting ('/q')

Cleans:
Recent Documents
Run... Dialog List
Find Document List
Find Computer List
URLs in IE Address Bar
URLs in Shell Address Bar
Media Player Recent URLs
WinZip Recent Files
WinZip Extract To Folders
Paint Recent Files
WordPad Recent Files
http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:AbWQc.4664$rb2.991@fe2.texas.rr.com,
Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> Yes

>> Can
>>

>> you
>>

>> select
>>

>> or
>>

>> clear
>>

>> the
>>

>> check
>>

>> boxes
>>

>> on
>>

>> the

>> tab??
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:1rVQc.3512$KZ2.2107@fe2.texas.rr.com,
>> Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I can delete temporary internet files manually with no problem , I
>>> just can't get IE to do it automatically on browser shutdown as it
>>> used to.
>>>

>>> Chas

Charles,

Check these out.........

Internet Explorer Does not Delete Temporary Internet Files on Close
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814782

Temporary Internet Files Use More Disk Space Than Specified
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301057

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:AbWQc.4664$rb2.991@fe2.texas.rr.com,
Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> Yes

>> Can
>>

>> you
>>

>> select
>>

>> or
>>

>> clear
>>

>> the
>>

>> check
>>

>> boxes
>>

>> on
>>

>> the

>> tab??
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:1rVQc.3512$KZ2.2107@fe2.texas.rr.com,
>> Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I can delete temporary internet files manually with no problem , I
>>> just can't get IE to do it automatically on browser shutdown as it
>>> used to.
>>>

>>> Chas

Wesley,

Thanks for your suggestions , I have downloaded and installed Disk Cleaner
and have it set to run at startup and in quiet mode . This sounds like
a good program to have running even if it wasn't being used to solve a
problem as I am having. I will also checkout the links to
support.microsoft.com and thanks also for those. I have trouble using
Microsofts Knowledge Base in so much as phrasing the request properly. The
help is usually there if you just know how to ask .

Chas

> Charles,
>
> Check these out.........
>
> Internet Explorer Does not Delete Temporary Internet Files on Close
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814782
>
> Temporary Internet Files Use More Disk Space Than Specified
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301057
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:AbWQc.4664$rb2.991@fe2.texas.rr.com,
> Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Yes
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>

> >> Can
> >>

> >> you
> >>

> >> select
> >>

> >> or
> >>

> >> clear
> >>

> >> the
> >>

> >> check
> >>

> >> boxes
> >>

> >> on
> >>

> >> the

> >> tab??
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >> Wes
> >>
> >> In news:1rVQc.3512$KZ2.2107@fe2.texas.rr.com,
> >> Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:

I downloaded Disk Cleaner. Quite useful. But I would like to have it done at
boot too like yours, but I am unable to. Could you give the steps please?

> Good thing I didn't waste any time on that idea then.
>
> Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed
> only cleans out part of the Temporary Internet Files anyway.
> It does *not* clean the Content.IE5 folder.
>
> Try this. It does clean the Content.IE5 folder. And many other items as
> well.
> I have mine set to run at boot. It runs. It cleans. It closes.
> Veni Vidi Vici. :)
>
> With Disk Cleaner you can easily clean up disk space that is now used by
> temporary files like those in the system temporary folder, the Internet
> Explorer Cache and Cookies folder, and the Recycle Bin.
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/
>
> Easy to use one-click cleaning
> Cleaning Presets
> Quiet mode , i.e. for cleaning when booting ('/q')
>
> Cleans:
> Recent Documents
> Run... Dialog List
> Find Document List
> Find Computer List
> URLs in IE Address Bar
> URLs in Shell Address Bar
> Media Player Recent URLs
> WinZip Recent Files
> WinZip Extract To Folders
> Paint Recent Files
> WordPad Recent Files
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:AbWQc.4664$rb2.991@fe2.texas.rr.com,
> Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Yes
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>

> >> Can
> >>

> >> you
> >>

> >> select
> >>

> >> or
> >>

> >> clear
> >>

> >> the
> >>

> >> check
> >>

> >> boxes
> >>

> >> on
> >>

> >> the

> >> tab??
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >> Wes
> >>
> >> In news:1rVQc.3512$KZ2.2107@fe2.texas.rr.com,
> >> Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:

Cool, in researching this, I realized that there's a new version of Disk
Cleaner. I downloaded that baby. ;-)

From >>>
http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/readmes/readme.txt

3. Presets
[[New in Disk Cleaner 1.4.0a is the possibility to use presets, in
interactive as well as in quiet mode. To create a preset, check all
boxes of the items you want to have cleaned. Then press the Save as...
button. You will be prompted for a name. Enter a new name for the
preset. The preset is saved. To remove a preset select it first and
press Remove. You will NOT be asked if you're sure, it is immediately
removed.

A preset can also be used in quiet mode. Instead of just supplying '/q'
as a parameter, use the following syntax: '/q:presetname' (again without
the quotes and note the colon).
If your preset name contains spaces, pass the parameter enclosed in
double quotes, like this: "/q:preset name" (WITH double quotes).

If the preset exists, it is used. If it doesn't, Disk Cleaner exits,
cleaning nothing. If the colon is forgotten, not the preset but the
last setting in interactive mode is used.]]

2. Quiet Mode
[[Disk Cleaner can be run in so called 'Quiet Mode'. This means that
Disk Cleaner will run, clean and exit automatically without ever
showing a dialog or whatsoever (except when something unusual happens).
To specify quiet mode run Disk Cleaner with an extra parameter: '-q' or '/q'
(without the quotes). Disk Cleaner will clean all the items you
specified the last time in interactive mode (no parameters).

Tip: Create a shortcut in the Start-up Folder of the start menu
pointing to Disk Cleaner, with as extra parameter '-q'. This
will clean all the items selected last time every time the computer
starts! Also see the preset part.

Disk Cleaner can, at your request, add a shortcut itself at the correct
location. Press the configure button in the main window (the 'C') to
do so.]]
-----

Example of mine:
clean1 is my preset.
I have a shortcut in >>
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

The shortcut is >>
"C:\Program Files\Disk Cleaner\dclean.exe" /q:clean1
-----

Right click the Desktop | New | Shortcut | Paste this in the box:

C:\Program Files\Disk Cleaner\dclean.exe

Next | Type or paste this in the box:

Disk Cleaner

Click Finish
Or name it whatever you want.

Right click the new shortcut | Properties |
Place the cursor at the end of this: "C:\Program Files\Disk
Cleaner\dclean.exe"
Hit the spacebar | Paste or type: /q:yourpresethere |
Apply | OK |

When you get the shortcut working like you want |
Start | Run | Paste this in the box:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Hit Enter or Click OK | Size the window so you can see your new shortcut |
Drag the shortcut from the Desktop into the right hand pane.

To check:
Start | ALL Programs | Startup | Disk Cleaner

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:eL8g7XFfEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Ben Stevenson <casiopie963@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> I downloaded Disk Cleaner. Quite useful. But I would like to have it
> done at boot too like yours, but I am unable to. Could you give the
> steps please?

<SNIP>

>> With Disk Cleaner you can easily clean up disk space that is now
>> used by temporary files like those in the system temporary folder,
>> the Internet Explorer Cache and Cookies folder, and the Recycle Bin.
>> http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes

<SNIP>

Charles,

A couple of keywords will do, unless you have an actual error message.

How to Search for a KB Article by ID Number
;kbjump]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];kbjump

General Search Tips
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;EN-US;KBHOWTO#faq1385

How to Search for Error Messages
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;EN-US;KBHOWTO#faq1387

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:s86Rc.3702$KZ2.1@fe2.texas.rr.com,
Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions , I have downloaded and installed Disk
> Cleaner and have it set to run at startup and in quiet mode .
> This sounds like a good program to have running even if it wasn't
> being used to solve a problem as I am having. I will also
> checkout the links to support.microsoft.com and thanks also for
> those. I have trouble using Microsofts Knowledge Base in so much
> as phrasing the request properly. The help is usually there if you
> just know how to ask .
>
> Chas

>> Charles,
>>
>> Check these out.........
>>
>> Internet Explorer Does not Delete Temporary Internet Files on Close
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814782
>>
>> Temporary Internet Files Use More Disk Space Than Specified
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301057
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:AbWQc.4664$rb2.991@fe2.texas.rr.com,
>> Charles Swenson <nospam@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Yes

Hi Wesley

There's one other thing you could help me with. I just cannot send a New
Post to this Ng. I've tried it twice over the last two days, but it just
does't show here. But it shows in the Sent Items folder. I'm sorry I've got
to send my request this way, but I just can't do it the normal way.
Thanks

> [...]
> Drag the shortcut from the Desktop into the right hand pane.
>
> To check:
> Start | ALL Programs | Startup | Disk Cleaner
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:eL8g7XFfEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Ben Stevenson <casiopie963@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I downloaded Disk Cleaner. Quite useful. But I would like to have it
> > done at boot too like yours, but I am unable to. Could you give the
> > steps please?
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
> <SNIP>
>
> >> With Disk Cleaner you can easily clean up disk space that is now
> >> used by temporary files like those in the system temporary folder,
> >> the Internet Explorer Cache and Cookies folder, and the Recycle Bin.

Ben,

You can send 'em. For some reason you may not be seeing 'em.

What are you using for a news server?