Driver problems on new system

I recently purchased components to build myself a
computer. I got an ASUS K8NE Deluxe MB, an Athlon 64
3000+ processor, 1 MB Kingston DDR400 RAM, a Seagate
Barracuda 160 GB SATA hard drive, and an ATI 9600 All-In-
Wonder video card. I installed XP Pro, however rather
frequently the "blue screen of death" appears and shuts
everything down. I keep
getting "page_fault_in_nonpage_area" and "bad_pool_caller"
faults. Most often the faults appear while I am trying to
install software, whether it be SP1 or something else.
Certain software programs won't install at all, as I get
fatal errors. I tried to do a reinstall (I chose the
upgrade option, so I wouldn't lose any of the programs I
had gotten to install), which took about 5 tries before it
completed successfully. And the problems still exist.
I'm cool with doing a total new install, but how can I
avoid the same problems all over again? I believe that
the problem area may be the video card, since there is a
note from ATI that non-Intel chips need a GART installed
first. But I'm just guessing, because when I look at the
device manager all of the drivers appear to be fine. Is
there any way to clean up the cabinet files without doing
a total new install?

Any help is much appreciated.

STOP: 0x00000050 Page_Fault_In_Non-Paged_Area Error After Installing Service Pack 1
(SP1)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329293&Product=winxp

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP