Ordered my new board today!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Got tired of waiting for the SiS 655 and ordered a GA-8IHXP. A great board even if the 655 with dual channel DDR has a little more performance potential.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey Crashman,

Good for you! The way I see it, either you need some right now or you don't........... you made the best choice based on the options that you had at the time of purchase.

I need some advice from you, I need to build a budget semi- gamer(for a cheap friend's 14 year old), based on the socket A platform & MSI brand(he loves MSI for some reason). He already has a MSI GeForce4 MX 440 video card & a Athlon XP 2000+ cpu. What mobo should I use for this system? He needs it by the first week of November(kid's B-Day). I was thinking about using either the SiS 745 chipset mobo or nForce 415 chipset mobo. Does the nForce 415 have the Great on-board sound? or am I better going with the SiS 745 & which sound card should I get with it. Are the nForce 615's going to come out in the next 3-4 weeks? Thanks for your help.

Peace Out....................tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 415 has great onboard sound. The onboard sound of the 615 should have about the same quality but more features, features that would come in handy for things like controlling a home theater, but not needed for the typical computer.

The 745 is also a great chipset, but you would need a Turtle Beach Santa Cruiz to get similar sound quality to that of the nForce I think. Probably cheaper to get the 415.

The 415 works best when used with two memory modules in the proper locations, giving around 5% better performance than with a single module.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey Crashman,

Thanks for the advice. I am most likely going to go with the nForce 415, based on price. I really don't need to start buying everything yet, since I have over a month before the delivery date. So I am going to wait for another 3 weeks, if the nForce 615's come out & stay the same price as the 415's, I will get the newer mobo. If not the MSI 415 mobo is like $100..........but I don't need a $62 Santa Cruz OEM sound card. Thanks Again!

Peace Out...................tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing