How do you know your FPS

csi_basel

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Hi

I'm new to this forum and have recently returned to PC gaming after a 5 yr absence.

I've got a dual core 1.66 laptop with 2gigs of ram and a 128mb 7600 card and my operating system is Vista.

I'm currently catching up with all the games I missed first time round :D .

At the moment I'm running Quake 4 and I'm disappointed with the performance. I'm running it at 1024x768 with low quality video and no AA. I get some stuttering!!

Is there any way to improve this and also how do I find out what my fps is?

Thanks in advance.

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
well i think you are using the 7600gs not the 7600gt and they are both vastly different cards. the card in your laptop is not meant for gaming and vista compounds that fact because of its system hog nature and the immature drivers. the only thing i can see that would increase speed would be to stop all background programs. this should help reduce stutter.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Sorry to say it is your graphics card by the looks of things, and the problem with laptops is you can’t upgrade them. You’re stuck with what you got and the only real way to improve performance is by switching to Windows XP.

But don’t take my words too literally since the difference in frames per second (not stuttering) with your system can be measured on one hand. Vista is indeed a system hog but will only give you very slight drops in frames per second and even that is only in some games. Games like Black & White 2 will have identical outputs no matter what OS your using.

So to close, unless you get a new graphics card your pretty much stumped.

Sorry

csi_basel

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I downloaded the latest Vista drivers as well as a new bios and that has improved matters.

I'm now getting an average of 25 fps on 1024x720 so its now more playable.

Thanks for everyones views.