Image Preview: Hellgate: London

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Hellgate London could be the spiritual successor to Diablo II. We've got some new screenshots of the demon infested post-apocalyptic London straight from Flagship Studios.

DavidRitchey

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Long Live Hellgate!

I've been playing Role Playing Games for a long time now. Twelve very involved years.
I've become pretty jaded.

One thing I can't do without is a randomized item system.

Going back to RPG's with set drop types like Dungeon Seige or World of Warcraft or FFXI (a REALLY bad game) is simply disappointing.

Level grinding is not as, well, grinding, in randomized games like Hellgate.
Did I mention a random quest system? No I didn't.
...I hope they choose to implement in their random quests some kind of permanent stat boosting reward.

Oh man there's no rush like a game made by Bill Roper and staff. Long live the legendary Blizzard staffers of Starcraft, Diablo, Diablo II, Warcraft, and BroodWar...Long Live Flagship.

ninjahedge

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Looks good, and reminds me a bit of Vampire (was that Masquerade?).

One thing they should keep in mind for the subscription fee would be simple.

Allow any expansions (additional levels produced by the company, or extra eye-candy) be available to subscribers for free or at a significant discount. All teh rest of us who may not be as "devoted" may simply opt to pay $30 for the expansions when they come out.

I do not mind paying for something if it looks like I am GETTING something in return, not just the right to be on their servers. The more direct this connection, the more satisfied I am with it.

And this looks to be a good title to try it out with. They are already doing the "subscription" (episode) gig and getting mild success with some of the games out there. I hope they do it right.

It would be fun to team up with peeps on a larger RPG/FPS game and do some dirty work.

Dark Messiah is like that, but it does not go quite far enough.....

product_recall

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I've been waiting for this game for so long now. good to see its finally on the way. just in time for my next huge system upgrade too.

as for gameplay, i had a feeling that it would be a Oblivion versus FEAR (s.t.a.l.k.e.r) but as i've never played any of the diablo games i'm not entirely sure i'm qualified to make that judgement.

anyway, good stuff flagship, cant wait to get my hands on a copy.

Reyclaw

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
@rammedstein

From an interview with playhgl.com:

So is there a cow level?
Dave: What’s that? Is there a cow level?
Bill: Oh no. We haven’t added a cow level specifically.
Dave: All we need is a cow.
Bill: If we had a cow we could make a cow level.
Bill: Yeah we definitely want to have some things that...
Dave: That will be the equivalent of a cow...
Bill: Like a rare thing that you have to find and know how to open it. We like those, those are fun.

Pig level???

darklife41

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I was a big fan of Diablo, Starcraft, and Warcraft until Warcraft III. I felt that Bizzard lost the plot with the graphics on Warcraft III and totally lost the plot with WoW and online only gaming. I just like single player games, and prefer the old cartoonish graphics to the direction Blizzard went with Warcraft III. I realize my opinion is in the minority on this issue and can live with that.

Hellgate: London looks cool. I'd definitely invest in it. Great to see that us single player gamers haven't been totally forgotten. :)