Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I fired up my Asus P4S533 and the little icon in the bottom right hand corner indicated that my network cable was unplugged. Aaaaargh! All the other pc's on my network were all up. I switched cables and even booted up in WinMe. No dice. It looks like the onboard LAN is dead. I was really loving this board. One of the reasons why I got it was because of the onboard LAN. Oh well. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Anyway, I had this old base 10 Intel 21041 nic laying around so I popped it in and all is well. I was doing a little testing with it and found no appreciable difference in download speeds. So my question is what's the point of having a 10/100 fast ethernet adapter? Downloading large files (I have DSL) seems to go at the same speed.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

Hey Black Cat how've you been, I had an old ISA slot LAN and its speeds were comparable to the 10/100, Go Figure!

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DSL does not use a lot of bandwidth. 10 mbps is more than enough. If you are transfering large files between computers then you will notice a big difference.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If onboard NIC is not enable in BIOS then it will not be availible to Windows and there will be no little icon in the bottom right hand corner indicated the network cable was unplugged.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Hey Black Cat how've you been, I had an old ISA slot LAN and its speeds were comparable to the 10/100, Go Figure!
I've been well. Where've you been hiding, ryan?

The funny thing is, years ago when I had cable internet service (Comcast. Need I explain why I have DSL now?) Comcast gave me a PCI base 10 nic. It worked fine just surfing but my system would hang on large downloads. I stuck an ISA 10/100 and then had no problem with large downloads. To this day I can't figure it out.

stupid question: Is the LAN chip enabled in the BIOS?
A question worth asking. Yes. I had been using it all along. The cable is fine. The gateway and routers are fine. The rest of the board is fine. No more LAN. :frown:

DSL does not use a lot of bandwidth. 10 mbps is more than enough. If you are transfering large files between computers then you will notice a big difference.
I think you're right. I'll still want get a 10/100 in there just in case I need to transfer files. I'm now debating with myself. Should I go through the aggravation of tearing down everything to RMA the board or just get a nic and live with it?

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

Been working out of town lately which seriously cuts down my computer time, when I do get to come here, sometimes the response and posting times takes so long, I get frustrated with it, and go on over to some of the other forums that I'm a member of, that don't seem to be having lagging problems. Man I could imagine the stalls that would show up on a dial-up connection if its this bad on broadband. Catch you later Black Cat. Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.