Install question (WinXP Pro over Win98SE)

Hello,

I've got a computer that had Windows 98SE. I had to format the
harddrive due to kids getting a nasty virus, and I'd like to buy
WinXP Pro Upgrade version to install instead of 98SE. However, my
problem is that I no longer have the Windows 95 disk that is needed to
do my Windows 98 upgrade. So, that said, here's the question: Do I
need to actually install Windows 98 before inserting the WinXP disk
and upgrading? Or, will it allow me to start a clean install of WinXP
but insert the Win98 disk to show that I had a previous OS (like the
Windows 98 upgrade version install did)? Thanks for any input.

Frank

Billh

<Phrank> wrote in message news:1jb8h05qrjk6ut35qb9r70aqhi9dg3sg9s@4ax.com...
> Hello,
>
> I've got a computer that had Windows 98SE. I had to format the
> harddrive due to kids getting a nasty virus, and I'd like to buy
> WinXP Pro Upgrade version to install instead of 98SE. However, my
> problem is that I no longer have the Windows 95 disk that is needed to
> do my Windows 98 upgrade. So, that said, here's the question: Do I
> need to actually install Windows 98 before inserting the WinXP disk
> and upgrading? Or, will it allow me to start a clean install of WinXP
> but insert the Win98 disk to show that I had a previous OS (like the
> Windows 98 upgrade version install did)? Thanks for any input.
>
> Frank

Boot the XP Pro Upgrade disk on your PC and insert the W98SE CD when asked
to prove you have it. You can use the freshly formated hard-drive or you can
format and partition the drive differently as part of the XP install
procedure. You may want to consider using NTFS instead of FAT32.
Billh

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 23:16:49 -0400, "billh" <NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls>
wrote:

><Phrank> wrote in message news:1jb8h05qrjk6ut35qb9r70aqhi9dg3sg9s@4ax.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've got a computer that had Windows 98SE. I had to format the
>> harddrive due to kids getting a nasty virus, and I'd like to buy
>> WinXP Pro Upgrade version to install instead of 98SE. However, my
>> problem is that I no longer have the Windows 95 disk that is needed to
>> do my Windows 98 upgrade. So, that said, here's the question: Do I
>> need to actually install Windows 98 before inserting the WinXP disk
>> and upgrading? Or, will it allow me to start a clean install of WinXP
>> but insert the Win98 disk to show that I had a previous OS (like the
>> Windows 98 upgrade version install did)? Thanks for any input.
>>
>> Frank
>
>Boot the XP Pro Upgrade disk on your PC and insert the W98SE CD when asked
>to prove you have it. You can use the freshly formated hard-drive or you can
>format and partition the drive differently as part of the XP install
>procedure. You may want to consider using NTFS instead of FAT32.
>Billh

Excellent! That's what I was hoping. As for the drive format, what's
the benefit of NTFS over FAT32? Thanks so much Bill!!

Frank

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 07:43:59 -0400, Phrank wrote:

> Excellent! That's what I was hoping. As for the drive format, what's
> the benefit of NTFS over FAT32? Thanks so much Bill!!

Format is a personal preference. Personally, I prefer NTFS for an XP system
and the additional security that offers.

Start> Help and Support> search for NTFS
There is a topic that will come up in the search results that compares
features of NTFS and FAT32. If dual booting with a Win9x, keep the boot
drive as FAT32.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 15:14:39 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 07:43:59 -0400, Phrank wrote:
>
>> Excellent! That's what I was hoping. As for the drive format, what's
>> the benefit of NTFS over FAT32? Thanks so much Bill!!
>
>Format is a personal preference. Personally, I prefer NTFS for an XP system
>and the additional security that offers.
>
>Start> Help and Support> search for NTFS
>There is a topic that will come up in the search results that compares
>features of NTFS and FAT32. If dual booting with a Win9x, keep the boot
>drive as FAT32.

I checked that out, and it explains a lot. I'll go with the NTFS.
Thank you very much!

Frank