Install question (WinXP Pro over Win98SE)

Hello,

I've got a computer that had Windows 98SE. I had to format the
harddrive due to kids getting a nasty virus, and I'd like to buy
WinXP Pro Upgrade version to install instead of 98SE. However, my
problem is that I no longer have the Windows 95 disk that is needed to
do my Windows 98 upgrade. So, that said, here's the question: Do I
need to actually install Windows 98 before inserting the WinXP disk
and upgrading? Or, will it allow me to start a clean install of WinXP
but insert the Win98 disk to show that I had a previous OS (like the
Windows 98 upgrade version install did)? Thanks for any input.

Frank
4 answers Last reply
More about install question winxp win98se

    <Phrank> wrote in message news:1jb8h05qrjk6ut35qb9r70aqhi9dg3sg9s@4ax.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've got a computer that had Windows 98SE. I had to format the
    > harddrive due to kids getting a nasty virus, and I'd like to buy
    > WinXP Pro Upgrade version to install instead of 98SE. However, my
    > problem is that I no longer have the Windows 95 disk that is needed to
    > do my Windows 98 upgrade. So, that said, here's the question: Do I
    > need to actually install Windows 98 before inserting the WinXP disk
    > and upgrading? Or, will it allow me to start a clean install of WinXP
    > but insert the Win98 disk to show that I had a previous OS (like the
    > Windows 98 upgrade version install did)? Thanks for any input.
    >
    > Frank

    Boot the XP Pro Upgrade disk on your PC and insert the W98SE CD when asked
    to prove you have it. You can use the freshly formated hard-drive or you can
    format and partition the drive differently as part of the XP install
    procedure. You may want to consider using NTFS instead of FAT32.
    Billh

    On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 23:16:49 -0400, "billh" <NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls>
    wrote:

    ><Phrank> wrote in message news:1jb8h05qrjk6ut35qb9r70aqhi9dg3sg9s@4ax.com...
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I've got a computer that had Windows 98SE. I had to format the
    >> harddrive due to kids getting a nasty virus, and I'd like to buy
    >> WinXP Pro Upgrade version to install instead of 98SE. However, my
    >> problem is that I no longer have the Windows 95 disk that is needed to
    >> do my Windows 98 upgrade. So, that said, here's the question: Do I
    >> need to actually install Windows 98 before inserting the WinXP disk
    >> and upgrading? Or, will it allow me to start a clean install of WinXP
    >> but insert the Win98 disk to show that I had a previous OS (like the
    >> Windows 98 upgrade version install did)? Thanks for any input.
    >>
    >> Frank
    >
    >Boot the XP Pro Upgrade disk on your PC and insert the W98SE CD when asked
    >to prove you have it. You can use the freshly formated hard-drive or you can
    >format and partition the drive differently as part of the XP install
    >procedure. You may want to consider using NTFS instead of FAT32.
    >Billh

    Excellent! That's what I was hoping. As for the drive format, what's
    the benefit of NTFS over FAT32? Thanks so much Bill!!

    Frank

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 07:43:59 -0400, Phrank wrote:

    > Excellent! That's what I was hoping. As for the drive format, what's
    > the benefit of NTFS over FAT32? Thanks so much Bill!!

    Format is a personal preference. Personally, I prefer NTFS for an XP system
    and the additional security that offers.

    Start> Help and Support> search for NTFS
    There is a topic that will come up in the search results that compares
    features of NTFS and FAT32. If dual booting with a Win9x, keep the boot
    drive as FAT32.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 15:14:39 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 07:43:59 -0400, Phrank wrote:
    >
    >> Excellent! That's what I was hoping. As for the drive format, what's
    >> the benefit of NTFS over FAT32? Thanks so much Bill!!
    >
    >Format is a personal preference. Personally, I prefer NTFS for an XP system
    >and the additional security that offers.
    >
    >Start> Help and Support> search for NTFS
    >There is a topic that will come up in the search results that compares
    >features of NTFS and FAT32. If dual booting with a Win9x, keep the boot
    >drive as FAT32.

    I checked that out, and it explains a lot. I'll go with the NTFS.
    Thank you very much!

    Frank

Windows 98 Windows XP