Install question (WinXP Pro over Win98SE)

August 7, 2004 1:31:45 AM

Hello,

I've got a computer that had Windows 98SE. I had to format the
harddrive due to kids getting a nasty virus, and I'd like to buy
WinXP Pro Upgrade version to install instead of 98SE. However, my
problem is that I no longer have the Windows 95 disk that is needed to
do my Windows 98 upgrade. So, that said, here's the question: Do I
need to actually install Windows 98 before inserting the WinXP disk
and upgrading? Or, will it allow me to start a clean install of WinXP
but insert the Win98 disk to show that I had a previous OS (like the
Windows 98 upgrade version install did)? Thanks for any input.

Frank
August 7, 2004 3:16:49 AM

<Phrank> wrote in message news:1jb8h05qrjk6ut35qb9r70aqhi9dg3sg9s@4ax.com...
> Hello,
>
> I've got a computer that had Windows 98SE. I had to format the
> harddrive due to kids getting a nasty virus, and I'd like to buy
> WinXP Pro Upgrade version to install instead of 98SE. However, my
> problem is that I no longer have the Windows 95 disk that is needed to
> do my Windows 98 upgrade. So, that said, here's the question: Do I
> need to actually install Windows 98 before inserting the WinXP disk
> and upgrading? Or, will it allow me to start a clean install of WinXP
> but insert the Win98 disk to show that I had a previous OS (like the
> Windows 98 upgrade version install did)? Thanks for any input.
>
> Frank

Boot the XP Pro Upgrade disk on your PC and insert the W98SE CD when asked
to prove you have it. You can use the freshly formated hard-drive or you can
format and partition the drive differently as part of the XP install
procedure. You may want to consider using NTFS instead of FAT32.
Billh
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 11:43:59 AM

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 23:16:49 -0400, "billh" <NoMail@Post2Newsgroup.Pls>
wrote:

><Phrank> wrote in message news:1jb8h05qrjk6ut35qb9r70aqhi9dg3sg9s@4ax.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've got a computer that had Windows 98SE. I had to format the
>> harddrive due to kids getting a nasty virus, and I'd like to buy
>> WinXP Pro Upgrade version to install instead of 98SE. However, my
>> problem is that I no longer have the Windows 95 disk that is needed to
>> do my Windows 98 upgrade. So, that said, here's the question: Do I
>> need to actually install Windows 98 before inserting the WinXP disk
>> and upgrading? Or, will it allow me to start a clean install of WinXP
>> but insert the Win98 disk to show that I had a previous OS (like the
>> Windows 98 upgrade version install did)? Thanks for any input.
>>
>> Frank
>
>Boot the XP Pro Upgrade disk on your PC and insert the W98SE CD when asked
>to prove you have it. You can use the freshly formated hard-drive or you can
>format and partition the drive differently as part of the XP install
>procedure. You may want to consider using NTFS instead of FAT32.
>Billh

Excellent! That's what I was hoping. As for the drive format, what's
the benefit of NTFS over FAT32? Thanks so much Bill!!

Frank
August 8, 2004 7:14:39 PM

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 07:43:59 -0400, Phrank wrote:

> Excellent! That's what I was hoping. As for the drive format, what's
> the benefit of NTFS over FAT32? Thanks so much Bill!!

Format is a personal preference. Personally, I prefer NTFS for an XP system
and the additional security that offers.

Start> Help and Support> search for NTFS
There is a topic that will come up in the search results that compares
features of NTFS and FAT32. If dual booting with a Win9x, keep the boot
drive as FAT32.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 15:14:39 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 07:43:59 -0400, Phrank wrote:
>
>> Excellent! That's what I was hoping. As for the drive format, what's
>> the benefit of NTFS over FAT32? Thanks so much Bill!!
>
>Format is a personal preference. Personally, I prefer NTFS for an XP system
>and the additional security that offers.
>
>Start> Help and Support> search for NTFS
>There is a topic that will come up in the search results that compares
>features of NTFS and FAT32. If dual booting with a Win9x, keep the boot
>drive as FAT32.

I checked that out, and it explains a lot. I'll go with the NTFS.
Thank you very much!

Frank
!