benedict

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
Do you know when does nforce 2 mb appear in market?
if the retail price similar to KT-400, what mb do you like. nforce2 or KT400?

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey B,

Who knows when the nForce 615 & 620 chipset mobo's will appear on the market. They have had working chipsets since before May 2002. I don't know when they will be shipping the chipsets to mobo manufactuers, & when the mobo makers will be designing & using the chipset in their own mobos.

As far as pricing goes, the nForce 615 should be close in price to the KT400, & the nForce 620 should be about $30-$40 more.

As far as telling you which one that I like.............let me first say, I don't mind tweaking my own computer for very small percentages in synthetic benchmarks. Having said that I would most likely get a KT333 mobo like the one I have: a MSI KT3 Ultra ARU. I cannot at this time see getting a KT400, because I do not see a big advantage of having a 8X AGP slot. I would still be using my EPoX 8KHA+(KT266A chipset), but my good friend got me this MSI KT333 mobo for Christmas & I had to use it(not that it isn't a good mobo, the KT333 is not a big performance gain over the KT266A, & the KT400 has no performance gain over the KT333).

If I was making a system for someone else, I would most likely get a nForce 620 mobo, just because it is a great value for someone who doesn't need the fastest video card every 6 months. Most people tell me it is much more stable than any Via chipset...........I don't know about that as I have not built a system with a nVidia chipset yet. Next month I am going to build a budget system with the nForce 415 or 615 chipset & I'll tweak it for a week before delivering it.

If you post why you need a new mobo & what you plan to use it for, I will give you a better answer. Good Luck in your choice.

Peace Out...................tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
You may have to wait 5 or 6 weeks ro get a nForce2 mobo.

nForce2 should be better performer than KT400. If the performance and price are similar, I would like nForce2 because Nvidia chipsets are more stable than Via chipsets (although Via chipsets have good stability form KT266A)

I am currently using a nForce 420-D based mobo (MSI K7N420 Pro). nForce has ironic stability. I faced 0 stability issues with this mobo.

<b><font color=red> Long live piracy! </font color=red></b>

benedict

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
Thank you.
I just want to buy a new computer with athlon cpu for myself.
I don't know whether I should wait for the nforce2 or not.
I want to buy an all in one computer as I need not get a very fast VGA. I had bought a computer one month ago for my sister with athlon 1.8+, msi kt3 Ultra2, ati7500. I am quite impressed about the speed of computer. 2 weeks ago, A bought a computer for my friend, athlon 1.6+ with pcchip "km266" mb with onboard vga. It is much more slower.
but the price was only 60% of previous computer. I think the so called "128bit 2d/3d graphic accelerator" is already enough for me as I am not a gamer but if the nforce2 "claimed to have gforce2mx vga on board", I want to try it if the price is significantly lower then the cost of kt266a+gforce2mx. but if the mb is $40 higher then kt400. I think I have no reasons to bought it.
BTW, spitfire, are you using on board vga or vga card.
If on board vga, are you satisfy the performance of vga?
I think km266 with on board ?pro savage 4 already enough for me. Do you think that the n420 give a heavy burden to your cpu? do you recommand me to buy n420 mb?

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey B,

When I asked you what you wanted this system for I meant, what software will you be running? Like will you be doing any video editing or heavy gaming?

Here is my take:
MSI K7N420 Pro= $150

MSI KT3 Ultra2=$82 + MSI MX400D-64(GeForce2 64mb DDR) $58 + Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card $62 = $202!!!!!

I really don't see how you could think about getting a Via chipset mobo based on price. The only reason for getting the KT400 or KT333 mobo, is you want to Over Clock it & more people have KT333 based mobo, so you can ask them about their setups.

Again, If you are not a gamer, I would go for the nForce 420 chipset based mobo. The on board video will not tax the cpu under normal conditions, and you will need to get a $60+ sound card to equal the quality of the on board sound of the nForce 420. There is only one downside to this chipset that I can think of, it will use your slower system DDR to power the on board video, making less DDR availlible for your system. This can be a problem if you are planning on running Windows XP with only 128mb of DDR.

As for Via KT266 or KM266 chipsets, they both suck when it comes to performance or stability.

Bottom line: if you get a nForce 420 mobo with 64mb(or more) of DDR more than your sister's setup, it should run/benchmark very close to her system's scores & have better sound. Good Luck

Peace Out...................tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I am using onboard graphics. I use only 1 memory module. So my nForce 420-D is working as a nForce220-D mobo. As it's working as 220-D and i am using onboard graphics, I can get about 1150 MB/s memory bandwidth using 200 MHz FSB 1 GHz Duron and 1 x 128 MB PC2100 CL2. With 266 FSB Athlon XP and 2 x PC2100 CL2 memory modules, you should get much better memory bandwidth (about 1650 MB/s when using onboard graphics and more than 1800 MB/s when using a discrete graphics card. So it should be only 2-3% slower than KT333 when using discrete video card and it should perform 5-7% slower than KT333 when using onboard graphics.

My 3D performace is like GF2 MX200 (as expected). If I use 2 memory modules, it will be like GF2 MX or MX400.

Dual channel DDR only worths when you use onboard graphics of nForce. If you are not using integrated graphics, you will get 100% equal performace from a nForce220-D and 420-D (or 415-D) mobo. If you don't need to use integrated graphics buy a nForce 220-D mobo. If you need 5 PCI slots and 3 memory banks, then only buy nForce 415-D mobos (integrated graphics free). Asus A7N266-VM (nForce 220-D) costs $84. MSI K7N415 Pro or Asus A7N266-C (nForce 415-D) costs $100. MSI K7N420 Pro (nForce 420-D) costs $128.

Anyway, if you can wait for nForce2, wait. nForce2 worths waiting.

<b><font color=red> Long live piracy! </font color=red></b>