W7 Freezing Issue

Hey all,

I did a quick search to see if this has been brought up before, but to no avail. This isn't a major issue mind you, but it can be a bit pesky and I was curious to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Anyways, I've noticed through testing the Beta and now RC1 editions of W7 that it does not like when you have a CD/DVD/BD in the drive(s) on start up. For example, I've had it do a total freeze once it gets to the welcome screen upon boot up no matter what kind of CD/DVD/BD I've had in one of my drives. I know it isn't my home build, as I have the RC1 edition on my little Toshiba laptop to and it has happened there as well (don't worry, I have externals sitting around here like it's no one's business for backup when it comes time to put the RTM versions on). Of course, it will fire back up once the disk is removed and rebooted. I've just never seen this before in XP or Vista.

By the way the way, it's the x64 version of W7 RC1 on both machines. Has anyone else had this happen on a x32 edition? I bring this up simply because it may be an issue once the RTM version(s) are released in little less than a month, i.e. it's probably common place for many to leave discs in their drives for long periods of time. Plus, it's one of those things that has annoyed me a bit over the past few months and needed to get it off my chest! :bounce:

Thanks all,

My system (again, not a BR drive) tries to boot from the CD/DVD first and has no problems if there's a non-bootable CD in the drive. Even if the Windows CD is in the drive it just gives the "Press any key to boot from CD" message for a few seconds and then proceeds to boot from the hard drive with no problems.

I'm running Win7 x64 RC on an Asus P6T6 WS Revolution with a Xeon W3520 (same as Core i7 920 but it supports ECC memory).

Strange that no one else has had this issue. It could possibly be a firmware issue, but then again, the DVD/RW drive in my laptop is a different brand than what I have in my home build. My boot orders are good to go as well, i.e. both are set to fire the primary hard drive first. Like I said, it's not a big deal, I was just curious if this was common place with other testers.

All in all though, this is by far the best testing experience I've had with a MS OS. I remember doing it for Vista and it was nowhere near as good/stable as W7. I'm also testing Office 2010 (legit) and it is pretty good as well.