getting latest firmware of HP JetDirect EX Plus (J2591A)

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b α HP
May 11, 2004 11:34:18 PM

I have a HP JetDirect EX Plus (J2591A) network to parallel adapter print
server, with firmware E.05.13

it was bought in 1998, and probably never updated.

I read on newsgroup archive there was firmware upgrade, but it seem HP has
remove it on the web site.

I checked page
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Driver...

and there is no firmware.

Have you more information, for getting the latest firmware of this hardware?
Anonymous
a b α HP
May 11, 2004 11:34:19 PM

On Tue, 11 May 2004 19:34:18 +0200, Gilles Vollant <info@winimage.com> wrote:

> I have a HP JetDirect EX Plus (J2591A) network to parallel adapter print
> server, with firmware E.05.13
>
> it was bought in 1998, and probably never updated.
>
> I read on newsgroup archive there was firmware upgrade, but it seem HP has
> remove it on the web site.
>
> I checked page
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Driver...
>
> and there is no firmware.
>
> Have you more information, for getting the latest firmware of this hardware?

HP should have a firmware update program somewhere on their site that
should be able to update any JetDirects on the network. I believe it was
able to run in Win98. I used that some time ago to update our EX Plus to
firmware E.08.40. It also found the JetDirect on our 2200DTN, which I
updated (to fix a potential SSL exploit for its web interface).

Since then the JetDirect on the 2200DTN died and is using the EX Plus.
Because EX Plus status is limited, I installed WebJetAdmin on an XP Pro
machine (to get page count to estimate toner life). WebJetAdmin might
also be able to update JetDirect firmware, but is limited to certain
Windows versions.

The dead JetDirect on the 2200DTN gave me reason to get a JetDirect X175
compatible with our Officejet G85 (with EX Plus, it could network print,
but not scan).

a b α HP
May 12, 2004 1:51:03 AM

I had not undersood correctly the page

on link "Cross operating system (BIOS, Firmware, Diagnostics, etc.)" there
is NO firmware.

But when I selected Windows XP,
I had link to
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software2/COL2383/ja-10646...
which contain link to
http://www.hp.com/go/dlm_sw

Download manager contain in one package a upgrade software AND all jetdirect
firmware (with an option to check on the internet latest upgrade)

!