Keyboard or Windows XP error?

August 7, 2004 7:11:25 PM

Lately I have encountered a condition where the last several keystrokes
I used are repeated and then the keyboard goes completely dead. If I
restart Windows with the mouse, the keyboard then works normally.

How can I tell it this is a Windows XP Home problem or a hardware
problem? If it is a Windows problem, what can I do about it? Thank you
in advance for all replies.
--
I give my child a substance that he absolutely LOVES.
He sniffs it, snorts it, eats it and rolls around on

More about : keyboard windows error

Anonymous
August 7, 2004 7:11:26 PM

Dan, the quickest way to check is to substitute another keyboard and see if
it acts the same way. If it does, I would check the System/device manager/
keyboard and try to re-install the driver or update it. Windows XP has had a
problem with the keyboard after resuming from Hibernation; check th e MS
Knowledge Bank and search under keyboard. That might help too.

"Daniel Prince" wrote:

> Lately I have encountered a condition where the last several keystrokes
> I used are repeated and then the keyboard goes completely dead. If I
> restart Windows with the mouse, the keyboard then works normally.
>
> How can I tell it this is a Windows XP Home problem or a hardware
> problem? If it is a Windows problem, what can I do about it? Thank you
> in advance for all replies.
> --
> I give my child a substance that he absolutely LOVES.
> He sniffs it, snorts it, eats it and rolls around on
> the floor in it. I wonder if this makes me a bad parent.

Anonymous
August 8, 2004 7:45:50 AM

"Ken EZ" <KenEZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Dan, the quickest way to check is to substitute another keyboard and see if
>it acts the same way. If it does, I would check the System/device manager/
>keyboard and try to re-install the driver or update it.

The problem with that is that it is very intermittent and happens less
than once a day.

>Windows XP has had a
>problem with the keyboard after resuming from Hibernation; check th e MS
>Knowledge Bank and search under keyboard. That might help too.

I no longer let my computer go into standby because of other problems
and I have never used Hibernation.

--
I give my child a substance that he absolutely LOVES.
He sniffs it, snorts it, eats it and rolls around on
the floor in it. I wonder if this makes me a bad parent.
Related resources
August 8, 2004 11:57:02 AM

Sounds more like your keyboard has gotten dirty like cookie or bread crumbs in
it making some of the keys stick. Take the keyboard and turn it upside down
and shake it or buy one of those spray bombs that blasts air to clean it.
It may
help to check each key and you find out which ones stick.

"Daniel Prince" wrote:

> "Ken EZ" <KenEZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Dan, the quickest way to check is to substitute another keyboard and see if
> >it acts the same way. If it does, I would check the System/device manager/
> >keyboard and try to re-install the driver or update it.
>
> The problem with that is that it is very intermittent and happens less
> than once a day.
>
> >Windows XP has had a
> >problem with the keyboard after resuming from Hibernation; check th e MS
> >Knowledge Bank and search under keyboard. That might help too.
>
> I no longer let my computer go into standby because of other problems
> and I have never used Hibernation.
>
> >"Daniel Prince" wrote:
> >
> >> Lately I have encountered a condition where the last several keystrokes
> >> I used are repeated and then the keyboard goes completely dead. If I
> >> restart Windows with the mouse, the keyboard then works normally.
> >>
> >> How can I tell it this is a Windows XP Home problem or a hardware
> >> problem? If it is a Windows problem, what can I do about it? Thank you
> >> in advance for all replies.
>
> --
> I give my child a substance that he absolutely LOVES.
> He sniffs it, snorts it, eats it and rolls around on
> the floor in it. I wonder if this makes me a bad parent.

Anonymous
August 8, 2004 7:23:15 PM

"Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sounds more like your keyboard has gotten dirty like cookie or bread crumbs in
>it making some of the keys stick. Take the keyboard and turn it upside down
>and shake it or buy one of those spray bombs that blasts air to clean it.
>It may
>help to check each key and you find out which ones stick.

If that is the case, why does it work correctly again when I restart
Windows XP Home?
--
!