cdrw will not edit

I have edited individual pictures on my cd rw disk before. Not it will not
let me. I use to use system restore and I believe that is how I got the rw to
work. I used roxia ez cd creatot. I deleted it. Then my d drive was not
recongized. Went to a microsoft website and deleted something in the registry
that said upper and lower. What is wrong and what do I need to do. My drive
is nec nr 7900a
7 answers Last reply
More about cdrw edit

    I think the error is from the CD-RW, CD-RWs tend to get mixed up after you
    put information on them and delete information off them several times. The
    solution: don't rewrite CD-RWs over and over and store pictures on the
    computer.

    "billwill" wrote:

    > I have edited individual pictures on my cd rw disk before. Not it will not
    > let me. I use to use system restore and I believe that is how I got the rw to
    > work. I used roxia ez cd creatot. I deleted it. Then my d drive was not
    > recongized. Went to a microsoft website and deleted something in the registry
    > that said upper and lower. What is wrong and what do I need to do. My drive
    > is nec nr 7900a

    I believe it started after deleting the roxio software. I copied the original
    cd to the harddrive and then burned it on a new cdrw. it says itd is still a
    read only cdrw.

    "Eddy" wrote:

    > I think the error is from the CD-RW, CD-RWs tend to get mixed up after you
    > put information on them and delete information off them several times. The
    > solution: don't rewrite CD-RWs over and over and store pictures on the
    > computer.
    >
    > "billwill" wrote:
    >
    > > I have edited individual pictures on my cd rw disk before. Not it will not
    > > let me. I use to use system restore and I believe that is how I got the rw to
    > > work. I used roxia ez cd creatot. I deleted it. Then my d drive was not
    > > recongized. Went to a microsoft website and deleted something in the registry
    > > that said upper and lower. What is wrong and what do I need to do. My drive
    > > is nec nr 7900a

    John Rampling is correct, but if you had used Roxio's Easy CD Creator format
    feature, you would not have these problems. For then the CD would work just
    like another harddrive and any program could read it. It takes from 15 to 25
    minutes to format a 650mb CD, but it wil run on any PC.

    "billwill" wrote:

    > I believe it started after deleting the roxio software. I copied the original
    > cd to the harddrive and then burned it on a new cdrw. it says itd is still a
    > read only cdrw.
    >
    > "Eddy" wrote:
    >
    > > I think the error is from the CD-RW, CD-RWs tend to get mixed up after you
    > > put information on them and delete information off them several times. The
    > > solution: don't rewrite CD-RWs over and over and store pictures on the
    > > computer.
    > >
    > > "billwill" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have edited individual pictures on my cd rw disk before. Not it will not
    > > > let me. I use to use system restore and I believe that is how I got the rw to
    > > > work. I used roxia ez cd creatot. I deleted it. Then my d drive was not
    > > > recongized. Went to a microsoft website and deleted something in the registry
    > > > that said upper and lower. What is wrong and what do I need to do. My drive
    > > > is nec nr 7900a

    The problem is that different burning software uses different systems of
    file storage. A CD/RW disk burned with Nero will not be read by Roxio EasyCD
    etc. I have had the same problem myself which has led to loss of some
    important data.

    By installing and then uninstalling Roxio I think you have modified the disk
    so it is no longer readable. You will either have to reinstall Roxio or find
    a CD recovery program to save your corrupted data. Try Isobuster which can
    be found as a free download from
    http://www.multimedia-freaks.de/download.php?id=5

    Hope you get your pictures back

    John

    On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 16:01:01 -0700, billwill wrote:

    > I have edited individual pictures on my cd rw disk before. Not it will not
    > let me. I use to use system restore and I believe that is how I got the rw to
    > work. I used roxia ez cd creatot. I deleted it. Then my d drive was not
    > recongized. Went to a microsoft website and deleted something in the registry
    > that said upper and lower. What is wrong and what do I need to do. My drive
    > is nec nr 7900a

    If you no longer have Roxio, what are you using to write on the cd/rw disk?
    If using XP's burning features, it will not allow direct editing of a
    single file on re writeable disk. More info:
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

    If you want to work "on the fly" with single files on cd/rw, you'll need to
    install a third party burning program again.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Sharon F...will you marry me?LOL. I am having the same problem. Dell 8600
    loaded with XP and I can't save a simple MSword or powerpoint file to my D:
    drive (cd). I could easily do it a month ago, but caught a virus...computer
    man kicked out my LAN drives and the cd quit working...now I have to go to my
    computer and copy a C: file to D: and then go into D: and rewrite the file
    onto disk...takes me 2 to 3 minutes with this process. It says I am not the
    administrator, but I have checked several times and I am...???? Thanks for
    the web site...great info.

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:19:04 -0700, pastor wrote:

    > Sharon F...will you marry me?LOL. I am having the same problem. Dell 8600
    > loaded with XP and I can't save a simple MSword or powerpoint file to my D:
    > drive (cd). I could easily do it a month ago, but caught a virus...computer
    > man kicked out my LAN drives and the cd quit working...now I have to go to my
    > computer and copy a C: file to D: and then go into D: and rewrite the file
    > onto disk...takes me 2 to 3 minutes with this process. It says I am not the
    > administrator, but I have checked several times and I am...???? Thanks for
    > the web site...great info.

    Marry? Sorry, not available ;^)

    Not sure I understand what happened on your system. I read it as : your
    system was infected by a virus and the "computer man" disconnected it from
    the network to protect other workstations.

    Disconnecting from the network shouldn't make a difference in the procedure
    of burning a CD *unless* your system was previously using a CD burning
    program that was on a network share and/or burning to a mapped network
    drive (not physically connected to your system).

    Most burning programs that I'm familiar with require a local installation
    to support the hardware on that same computer. Your situation may be caused
    by network specifics that I'm not familiar with. I only run into so many
    issues on my tiny workgroup of three computers. Sorry. May want to ask the
    "computer man" what's up with CD burning on your setup.

    By the way, did the virus ever get cleaned up? There are several of these
    that can interfere with CD burning.

    The article below covers the XP process of CD burning - a somewhat
    cumbersome process but adequate for basic burning needs:
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

    It also discusses some alternatives and the convenience factors those other
    programs might include.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User