IDE/Promise100 config newby question

Razorguts

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
Readers,
I feel like a total bloke for asking a question like this, but you'd be amazed at mow many folx claim to be tek-heads yet dont know much about IDE configs... I thought IDE was simple, but here's my inquiry:

OK, Ive got an asus a7v266e mobo which has 2 sets of primary/secondary inputs: one is for standard IDE, the other is for devices supporting Promise UltraDMA. Here are the devices I have:

HD (about 2yrs old, not even sure if it supports ata100)
CDR
CDRW
internal ZIP

now, if it weren't for the zip drive, I'd just have HD on its own primary IDE channel and the CDR/CDRW as master/slave on the second channel. But the zip adds some trouble.

I want to have a config which maximizes transfer rates, but when I try to connect devices simultaneously on both IDE channels (meaning the standard and the promise at the same time), bootup begins to not recognize some things.

the manual isn't too clear on if you have to use just *one* or *the other* on the mobo. But I thought I could use them simultaneously. For example, assuming the setup I described above (HD on primary, CDR/CDRW on secondary), and then I proceed to add the Zip drive on the standard primary IDE on mobo (so now both primary and 2ndary promise connectors are full, and now Im slapping the zip to the standard primary), it doesnt recognize the zip... Ive tried this with the CD drives, too. I thought to daisy chain the zip with the HD as slave but I heard this is a bad idea.

anyway, Im rambling, yet I hope my question is making sense. basically, with the devices I have, how can they all be connected simultaneously, while taking advantage of the promise/ultra100 transfer rates that my CDR supports? (IDE config, device jumpers, etc.)

much thanks in advance, and also thanks to all who helped me with questions on that pesky no-name power supply that blew in my rig a while back.. I bit the bullet and got the Antec 400... yes, $$, but at least I know I have quality.

Razorguts
Herff College of Engineering

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm. how about

primary master: optical drive 1
primary slave: optical drive 2

secondary master: zippy
secondary slave: none

IDE/RAID channel 1 master: HDD

then set the bios to look at the RAID to boot first. hopefully this should work, allthought i do reccomend a better hard drive. you have a performance computer that is being limited by your old drive :smile:

<b>"True communication is possible only between equals, because inferiors are consistently rewarded for telling their superiors pleasant lies than for telling the truth."</b>