I need to configure machines at work that will not allow
the users to have access to the "A" drive, explorer, my
computer, etc. They will only have access to one program
for educational purposes. I went to "gpedit" and removed
many options, I want the users to be able to drag and
drop but I do not want them to have right click options
and I do not want them to have access to windows
explorer, C drive etc. I seemed to be successful except
if the user right clicks on the desk top they get options
for "new folder", "notepad", "zip files" etc. which then
allows them to go into the c drive and everywhere. I
think I need to change settings in admin tools, security,
local security but cannot quite figure out the correct
settings. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You
Kathi

| "kadg" http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx
| MessageID: news:229b01c47cfa$e33005e0$a601280a@phx.gbl
| I need to configure machines at work that will not allow
| the users to have access to the "A" drive, explorer, my
| computer, etc. They will only have access to one program
| for educational purposes. I went to "gpedit" and removed
| many options, I want the users to be able to drag and
| drop but I do not want them to have right click options
| and I do not want them to have access to windows
| explorer, C drive etc. I seemed to be successful except
| if the user right clicks on the desk top they get options
| for "new folder", "notepad", "zip files" etc. which then
| allows them to go into the c drive and everywhere. I
| think I need to change settings in admin tools, security,
| local security but cannot quite figure out the correct
| settings. Any help would be appreciated.
| Thank You Kathi

While I do have some book knowledge on the subject of Systems
Administration, I do not have any practical knowledge. As such,
I am only able to provide links to some documentation and
resources on a few aspects of this very broad subject. BTW, I am
assuming you are in an Active Directory environment...

- The following Web Page describes the implementation of, and has
pre-packaged GPOs for, the TaskStation scenario which can be used
in a Highly Managed environment such as you describe:

TechNet Home | Products & Technologies
Server Operating Systems
Windows Server 2003 Management Services:
"Implementing Common Desktop Management Scenarios with the
Group Policy Management Console"
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/grouppolicy.asp

- The following Web Page has a link to download a very detailed
spreadsheet that lists the full set of Group Policy settings
found in the *.adm's. (I highly recommend downloading this
spreadsheet:)

Microsoft Download Center:
"Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows Server 2003"
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7821C32F-DA15-438D-8E48-45915CD2BC14&displaylang=en

- The following Web Page has resources for Group Policy and
related technologies:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Product Documentation:
"Microsoft Windows XP - Resources"
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/gpe_resources.mspx

- The following Web Page includes a TOC where you can access
subchapters describing the many technologies related to the topic
of the Security and Administration of Microsoft Windows.

Windows XP Professional Product Documentation:
"Security and administration"
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hs_security_administration.mspx

- The following Resource Kit Chapter has information on limiting
access to files and folders using NTFS permissions:

- Windows XP Professional Product Documentation
Part II Desktop Management
Managing Files and Folders
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prde_ffs_rljk.asp

- An excellent "Community" Web page I recommend adding to your
Favorites:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Community Portal Web Page
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/default.mspx

- You can find links to peer-to-peer support newsgroups for Group
Policy, Active Directory, and File Services technologies below.
Note that the following web pages are sub-pages of the Microsoft
Windows Server 2003 Community Portal Web Page.

Management Technologies Newsgroups
Newsgroup: microsoft.public.windows.group_policy
AKA: Windows: Group Policy
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/management/default.mspx

Directory Services Newsgroups
Newsgroup: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory
AKA: Windows Server Active Directory
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/directoryservices/default.mspx

File Services Newsgroups
Newsgroup: microsoft.public.windows.file_system
AKA: Windows File System: General
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/fileservices/default.mspx

BTW, good luck on your endeavor and I seriously hope that you are
not really a ...windowsxp.newuser